[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi Kafluke, hmm i have done all combinations i think.
    i have Haxchi installed so that when i click it, cfw runs, i dont use CBHC.
    So i did what you said, turned on the console, clicked on haxchi, held the button to boot HBL, which loaded, then choose nand dumper and selected all options except the 32GB one, and after pressing A it errors like i said and kicks me back to main menu.
    Have you done any consoles on 5.5.2, could that be my problem ?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I don't know for sure, but you could be right if the offset isn't right on 5.5.2. that's only a guess though. that app was made for 5.5.1, so there's no telling what it might do on other firmware.

3. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi godreborn, Thanks for the reply, if this is the case i am hoping someone who has done the guide on 5.5.2, will chime in and confirm.

4. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I might as well upgrade and give it a shot. I was told it works fine on 5.5.2 and I've stayed on 5.5.1 for a while but there's no reason not to upgrade now. I guess I'll take the plunge.

godreborn likes this.
  5. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    @Kafluke and several others are more of an expert than me, so I'm just suggesting a possible cause. hope it gets sorted for u though. :) I'm still on 5.5.1, and I dumped the otp and seeprom without issues, so that could be the reason.

6. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I wouldn't say that. When I watched @hedgeberg go to town last night on the Wii u i realized they're in a whole nuther league! They're the experts

godreborn likes this.
  7. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I missed that. it was online, but by the time I knew about it, it was offline. however, you're admirable if you're willing to update just to check that app. :)

8. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    @Kafluke NO DON'T DO IT, if your wii is on 5.5.1 and everything's working, then there's really no need to upgrade.
    Surely out all the people that has done this guide, there must be a few on the forum that did it on 5.5.2, a bit of patience and someone will reply and confirm for us, or could possibly start a thread about it.

9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    he can upgrade and I think he can downgrade as well since he has a tutorial on doing a hardmod. I'm not sure if downgrading is possible, but iirc, it is with this process.

10. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Well he can upgrade, but i didn't want to waste his time, when someone may confirm it that's already on 5.5.2.

godreborn likes this.
  11. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I can understand that. that's why I called him admirable. even though he has that tutorial, it seems like a hassle to do just to test something. he's using cbhc though, so he won't have the issues associated with the browser on 5.5.2 if he stays on that.

12. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I'm not worried about it. I think I've explored all I need to with 5.5.1. Plus I have full backups of my nand and I have a Teensy so I'm pretty sure I could downgrade if I needed to

TBH my last Wii U has pretty much gathered dust since I started playing switch

godreborn likes this.
  13. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    He is admirable, still wish he wouldn't do it.

Waiting for someone to confirm it works on 5.5.2, (come on 5.5.2ers where are you) this could mean that specific wii models don't work, or more than likely it's user error and something i am not doing correctly.

14. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    damn. I want a switch so badly especially with the new Mario game coming out this month. I play the wii u almost exclusively. I plan to play my jtag this evening though. :D

15. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    @Kafluke be a little patient at least, i will start a thread about it, and maybe (hopefully someone will chime in).

@godreborn lol i only just got the Wii u, the switch will have to wait.

Last edited by kup, Oct 7, 2017
    godreborn likes this.
  16. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Chill dude. I've been planning on updating for a while now. I'm not ignorant of the difference. I know what I'm doing. It's hard to answer questions about 5.5.2 when I'm using a 5.5.1. Not only is there no reason NOT to update there's also currently no reason to stay on 5.5.1 for a CBHC user.

This isn't the first time I've taken a plunge in order to better keep the guide update. I appreciate your concern but I know what I'm doing.

godreborn likes this.
  17. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Yup. Your a brave man, I remember you actually bricked your WiiU purposely, just so you can test out restoring your WiiU with a hard mod, just so you can write a guide on how to do it.

That's how you write a guide! You write a guide from experience!

I seen guides written by people that never even followed the guide themselves, or haven't even done most of what in thier guide themselves.

Keep up the awesome work Kafluke!

godreborn likes this.
  18. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I agree. I always go through my guides again while writing them. :D

TheTechGenius likes this.
  19. karoloos

karoloos Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    @kup @godreborn @Kafluke @TheTechGenius backup works on 5.5.2 - at least for all options checked. Tested last Saturday.

EDIT: because is it ok that I had some files like: opt.bin.part1, opt.bin.part2,... opt.bin.part15 etc.? (sorry, not pretty sure about opt.bin. prefix of this files). All files has an 2GB size, except the last one which is smaller.

Last edited by karoloos, Oct 7, 2017
  20. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    @karoloos Thanks for letting for letting us know.

@Kafluke Success you genius, just humored you and and used a 4GB SD card instead of the 32GB micro that was in there and the nand dumped instantly, not sure why or how but it's working.
    So hopefully you have not upgraded yours.
    Many many thanks for all your help kafluke the guide is great and my wii is working perfectly now.

Last edited by kup, Oct 7, 2017
    Kafluke likes this.