[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    @BDS Ok I've made changes

1. fixed
    3. fixed
    4. fixed
    5. fixed

anything else you can see?

2. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    1. Mention the NL IP of TitleDB (when I said two servers, it was for users on their Wii U, not on the guide, sorry for the confusion)
    2. Whatever ^^
    3. You can also drop the "download HBL" spoiler and get them to download HBL from there. Also you left a typo (Visit this link on your Wii U browser computer) I guess the last word is a leftover :P Kinda surprised for the 30 seconds part.

For 2 and 3, maybe at least a warning that the browser exploit can fail and what to do if it keeps failing (i.e. not working even once) (like clearing cookies).

About 4., the Wii U needs a full reset for the title to actually change on the Wii U menu (otherwise the system uses what's in memory), might be worth mentioning.

3. valenparra

valenparra Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2013
    Thank you! I was waiting for this type of guide lately. There's been many new developments and releases and I'm still accesing loadiine with brwserhax, which is less convenient than haxchi.

Just one noob question, as I am starting to read about this: can I install haxchi without having Rednand? Thanks again!

4. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Of course. You don't have to install redNAND unless you want to.

5. panamex

panamex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Mexico
    Just an opinion about the "method name", Disc Tik Trick, could be confusing por people who already are starting in the scene of Wii U, because all the other sites , including gbatemp, use the term "USB The Brazilian Method", so in a guide for noobs, it should be the less confusing possible pòr beginners on this stuff......, if this guide is intended for people more "advance" or not "begginers", could be OK renaming that method.

It is just my opinion.

By the way, this guide is really getting cool!!!

Congrats Kafluke

Last edited by panamex, Dec 8, 2016
  6. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Thanks for the input. I think "Brazilian USB method" is more confusing because it's not just for usb. Plus we don't call other hacks based on the region of people that first discovered it. If we don't start calling it something more descriptive then it will stay "Brazilian USB method" which isn't very representative of the method.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

See this post for more info:

7. Bryon15

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    All of the DS games on the eshop are $10 :(

8. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    it's worth it, ;p.

9. SniperXx

SniperXx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    without starting a new post. If I am wanting to mod multiple Wii U's can I buy one DS game and just download it to each Wii U before Nintendo decides to release a update? Or does each Wii U need its own DS game bought?

10. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I don't think that will work. The game is tied to the NNID that is used to download it and I don't think it will launch unless that NNID is active on that wiiu

11. SniperXx

SniperXx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    These will be my Wii U's with my NNID. I've just never tried logging in on the one I got in the closet while already being on the one I use.

12. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I didn't think you could have one NNID tied to two or more Wii U's can you?

13. SniperXx

SniperXx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    I didn't know that. Reason for asking. I've never tried just had a spare and another with a broken laser.

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    BDS and kafluke, thank you for working on it.
    I also never liked the "brazilian method" name, and rarely or even never used it myself. though, I often used the "wup installer" method instead, even if like you said it's a too common method to describe the ticket trick, as it can be used to install other titles and not necessarily the games from NUS using disc tickets.

"disc ticket trick" sound strange but that's actually what it's using. it's not really a "trick" to me, but as lack of proper naming we could use it. though, I would use "method" instead of trick word.

But again, we can use that install method with other things than disc ticket, like forged and fake tickets for eShop games, or homebrew generated titles (NUSpacker).
    Do you consider the eShop games as "ticket trick" too? the trick is more in the signpatch cfw for forged tickets.
    I don't have a better name right now, but if we find a better one later it will be another one that users will use, making it a fourth one for the same installation method...
    well, DTT is probably fine, thought it's not always from a "Disc". Forged or fake tik trick for eshops and NUSPacker? FTT?

Maybe we could add FTT method in the guide too. currently it covers only disc based games, not non-disc based ones.
    it's probably planned, I know it takes time to write guides.

15. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take much to change the name in the guide either. Whatever the community wants me to call it.

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    here few thing I noted:
    that's just suggestion.

1) in haxchi steps, you tell the users to download HBL manually, and hbas from the console (wiiubru/go)
    can't you just use wiiubru/go to download both ?
    the user can launch hbas directly from /go, then install both latest release of hbas and hbl. it prevent using half the computer and half the console.

But as the user need to download and extract haxchi manually (to get the root folder, hbas doesn't extract to root, right?), then why not using the computer for all 3 steps?

well, the current method is fine, but if you only go to hbas to install hbas it could be done faster on computer. I tried wiiubru.com/go, and it was very slow to load. doing it on computer would remove the issue with website freezes.
    I think the user might as well download hbas from git, like the two previous steps.

that will also prevent the user from loading a homebrew, exiting to download eShop game, run homebrew again.
    they can just prepare SD card, buy the game, run homebrew now.

2)
    When you tell the user to "be sure to install to system, not USB", I would recommend the user to unplug USB completely.
    if they install Haxchi and CBHC with USB plugged, they will end in a reboot loop. (some users don't think it's important to unplug USB, but it is)

3)
    do you think it's useful to talk about config.txt ?
    it would be interesting only for users who don't want coldboot CBHC.
    You mentionned that "this guide will not cover coldboot", but it's maybe outdated? if you don't cover coldboot, it's maybe useful to talk about config.txt used by haxchi.

Personally, I'll install only haxchi without autoboot, and change the config.txt on my console, so I can boot different things only when I need and keep the console clean on each reboot.
    But I think most users want coldboot, so I don't know if it's interesting to cover config.txt
    having choices is always better, no?

You could make the guide to either not install a coldboot solution, then talk about config, or go to CBHC steps.

config.txt could be edited like this
    default=simple sig patch 2 sysmenu (most users would launch it to play games and only need signpatch)
    A=HBL
    xxx=fw.img
    yyy=mocha

I don't know if fw.img would be useful, with mocha there will be less fw.img compiled. but it could be useful for users installing coldboothax manually (not cbhc) to boot a clean fw.img to not patch anything?
    Maybe you can just explain what's possible and let the user choose what they want to boot.

just explain that if they install CBHC, it will replace haxchi and the config.txt will not be used anymore, the choices are hardcoded.
    I don't know what you want to use from my other post, maybe you already know how to add all the info.

17. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yeah it's already outdated lol. I have a lot of work to do before this is "sticky ready". Hard to keep up these days. Now with Mocha a lot has already changed. Thx cyan!

18. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Gonna put this in hold until the scene calms a bit. Too much to keep up with.

Right now I recommend this path

Boot -> CBHC -> Mocha CFW

19. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Okay I have updated this guide to current hacking conditions as of 2-24-17. The Rednand guide is messed up but who wants that anyway? LOL. Maybe @iAqua could fix the RedNand guide for me.

20. TS26

TS26 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2015
    United States
    Hi I just have a quick question. If I use the USB install method, do the backups have to be the same region as the wiiu's region?