[Guide] Hacking the Wii U without a GamePad

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Hillbilleh, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ThunderbInazuma

ThunderbInazuma GBAtemp Fan

Aug 31, 2015
    Yes to the first question. To the second, you can use loadiine to load wiiU games form the SD, but you will have long waiting times. If you don't want that and if you don't plan to buy another HDD, you can do like I used to do when the brazilian method got released: Have the HDD to the WiiU and a pen for the vWii ( 32GB) and, if I wanted to play something that wasn't on the pen, I copied directly from the PC to it.

2. rolandoislas

rolandoislas Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
  3. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    I couldn't find a definitive list of what the chipset is for my Panda adapter. I ran commands lspci and dmesg in my ubuntu virtual machine, and all I could find was, Manufacturer: Ralink.

In Windows, under device manger, same thing, most I could find was the manufacture name. Though the hardware ID's are listed as...
    USB\VID_148F&PID_5572&REV_0101
    USB\VID_148F&PID_5572

On my adapter the Model Number is listed as PAU07.

According to this site http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters, the PAU07 has a hardware description of Driver: rt2800usb, if that helps.

If you know of another method for trying to find out the chipset listing, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

BTW, I factory reset my Wii U to see if DRC Sim can complete an initial setup after a full reset, and it was a sucess. After I finish modding it again, I'll update the guide accordingly.

rolandoislas likes this.
  4. rolandoislas

rolandoislas Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    Thank you. It looks to be the Ralink RT5572.

5. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    Has anybody tried this with and Asus USB-N14 or any RT5372 based usb wifi adapter?

6. rolandoislas

rolandoislas Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    I have not tried it, but an RT5372 chip should be supported by the rt2800usb driver.

7. ThunderbInazuma

Aug 31, 2015
    Well, Installed Ubuntu as Dual Boot on windows and it didn't worked. So, I'm planning to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2SIS0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_8tkbzbYNJFAX7
    With this, I can use it regarding my router and my wifi adapter right?

8. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    All I can say, is I personally used that adapter, with a Ubuntu virtual machine, and it worked flawlessly. I'm currently using it with DRC Sims latest release, and it's working perfectly.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of testing with DRC Sim, and so far, only one confirmed working USB WiFi adapter.

Last edited by Hillbilleh, May 22, 2017
    ThunderbInazuma likes this.
  9. ThunderbInazuma

Aug 31, 2015
    Ok. Thank You. Hope it arrives soon xD

10. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I'm looking for an adapter that would work and that would allow me to change the antenna, even if I have to open it...
    @Hillbilleh, is there any way to change the antenna in your adapter? Like a u.fl connector or whatever inside the shell of the adapter?
    (kind of how there is a connector inside the Wii U even though we're not exactly supposed to change the antenna, as shown here).

11. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    The adapter I have, does not have an antena port. So, unless you're willing to open it up, and solder on an antenna port, then the answer would be no.

12. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
  13. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    Does anyone know if a MT7601 with a linux driver will work with this?

14. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Can anyone confirm if that the initial setup for the Wii U works with drc-sim?

I noticed that the warning is gone, and was wondering. How do people find the pairing code in the initialization screen??? Sorry if it's already been mentioned before but i'm not following.

15. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    I added a "Factory Reset" section in the guide confirming my experience with a successful initial setup after a factory reset using DRC Sim.

You can still get the pairing code after a factory reset. You just have to make sure you have the proper video cables to connect to your TV so you can see the Wii U setup screen.

For example, if the WiiU was configured to output video via HDMI, then you did a factory reset, you need the HDMI cable to connect to your TV. If the Wii U was configured to output via Non-HDMI connection, then you did a factory reset, you need the component or A/V cable to to connect to your TV.

After a factory reset, it's just a matter of hitting the pairing button on the console twice to get the pairing code, and pair it with DRC Sim. Then you can complete the initial setup with DRC Sim, well, at least I was sucessful in doing so on my North American Wii U with firmware 5.5.1.

Last edited by Hillbilleh, May 31, 2017
  16. trancend

trancend Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    Low Altitude Orbit
    So there are prereq steps missing? Is redNAND needed for like taking a dump or something??

Thanks.

17. trancend

trancend Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    Low Altitude Orbit
    Thanks for post, perfect timing I just bought a Wii w/o pad...

Tried this on fresh 16.04 install with a Netgear WNDA3100(V3) without much luck (yet, but I did order the Panda in the mean time).

First hurdle was restoring grub bootloader from the 12.04/Win10 dual boot setup that already existed:

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd#.Uz6B0vllHuM

Next was finding a driver for the Netgear:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA3100v3
    https://github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210

Which then had to be built with:

https://github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210/issues/25

$ make
    $ sudo make install
    $ sudo modprobe mt7662u_sta
    $ sudo service network-manager restart

Using the card can cause the system error mentioned in the above thread, which I'm currently trying to work around while waiting for the Panda (I know I should tough it out but I'm dying to open brand new BoW, only few more days til I can get refund if this doesn't work out).

Another helpful post (it's for previous, v2 card but steps are insightful):

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1964173

I'll post back any progress.