[Guide] Hacking the Wii U without a GamePad

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Hillbilleh, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    I bought a gamepadless Wii U for $ 40. I've been prepping to get drc-sim to hack my Wii U but can't find the time to gather the resources. Thanks for this as this will speed up my preparation.

2. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    I have bought an extra gamepad for $64 including shipping. It was classified as "not working" due to the seller not being able to test it. I went ahead and bought it, and tested it myself and it works really well. It has some scratches, but at that price, I think it was a good deal, especially when it works from the get go.

3. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Has anyone used this for initial Wii U setup?

The video description says: "**WARNING: AS OF THIS VIDEO DRC-SIM DOES NOT WORK FOR THE INITIAL WII U SETUP (Like when you factory reset the Wii U).**"

4. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    That's a good point. I purchased my Wii U, used, and the seller never factory reset the unit.

If I had a GamePad, I'd test it out, to see if I can pair with my console after a reset. However, I don't have a GamePad, and risk losing my ability to reconnect.

In the mean time, I'll post a big warning at the top of the guide, until such time someone can confirm they successfully paired with a Wii U using DRC Sim after a factory reset.

5. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Damn, I was hoping it was possible to use this to get by the initial setup.

6. yakuma

yakuma Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2007
    Indonesia
    hi can anyone make image after instal the drc.
    becau i already try and get error phton instal fail.
    i already intal curl and still get error.

thanks

7. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I haven't watched the video to the guide yet, but I would just like to know this first before continuing on with the guide (Because I'm thinking about buying a Wii U to hold me over for more Switch Games coming out, and because new mods are being developed for the console.)

How compatible is this software with Homebrew >_>.

8. rolandoislas

rolandoislas Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    It should be fully compatible. As far as the Wii U is concerned, it is a normal gamepad.

Edit: The wiki is now updated to mention the process of completing the Wii U's initial setup.

Last edited by rolandoislas, May 9, 2017
  9. Yuitsu

Yuitsu Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2014
    Châu Thành, Tiền Giang, Vietnam
    I have a jp wii u and us gamepad, can i use this tutorial to change region of wii u from jp to us and use us gamepad?

10. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States

I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether the Wii U can be setup with DRC SIm after it's been factory reset.
    Can you answer a couple of questions...
    • Can DRC Sim be used to to setup a Wii U after a factory reset?
    • If no, will it be possible in future development of DRC Sim, or does it appear a GamePad will always be necessary to complete the initial setup after a factory reset?

11. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright kool,
    Just a quick question. I have a Windows PC however I don't know if its exactly compatible with any of this software.

When I tried to install Ubunto on my PC it was in .ios format so I assume not, and I can't do anything to my PC (Its the only PC I have for running Windows applications for school.)

Is there like, a cheap Linux laptop available so I can still be under-budget buying a Wii U (Like less than 100 dollars preferably :P.)

12. Hillbilleh
    OP

Hillbilleh Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    You can't install Ubuntu like a Windows application. Ubuntu is an independent variant of the Linux operating system.

However, you can run Ubuntu on your Windows PC by installing a hypervisor program such as VMWare Workstation (30 day trial) or VirtualBox (free), which gives you the ability to run the Ubuntu operating system in a virtual environment on a Windows host. This will allow you to install DRC Sim on your Ubuntu virtual machine.

If you're unfamiliar with creating a virtual machine, then just research some videos on YouTube. It's not terribly hard, though, you're in for a bit of a learning curve if you're are new to virtual machines and using a Linux operating system. I don't recommend purchasing a laptop just to install Ubuntu, since you can easily create a virtual machine for free. However, you still need to purchase a WiFi adapter that meets these specs (click link), or purchase the one I mention in the guide.

Last edited by Hillbilleh, May 9, 2017
    petethepug likes this.
  13. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright, thanks for filling me in with the information. I will research virtual box a bit and try setting it up, then I will follow the guide from here.

14. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I also forgot to ask, does the PC need any sys requirements for running the gamepad or is it all just wireless communication with the Wii U.

Idk how the Wii U Gamepad really works with the actual Wii U so just curious.

15. ThunderbInazuma

ThunderbInazuma GBAtemp Fan

Aug 31, 2015
    My PC has a Integrated WiFi Card. However, I can't find out if it has a compatible one to do this. I've found out that it support thsi "802.11n" but I can't find out about the GHz value neither the Chipset. Can someone help me to check this? My PC is a Asus X555L (Inter Core i7 Version with 8Gb Ram and 1 TB HDD).
    Thank You in Advance.

16. rolandoislas

rolandoislas Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    I have not tried it personally, but there has been a reported case of it working here.

Aside from a Linux-based OS and a compatible wireless interface, the computer will need a decently fast CPU (2.4+ GHz).

It might work in native Linux-based OS given the correct drivers. Running it as a bridged device in a virtual machine is untested.

Edit: A bridged wireless interface will not work with a VM. An attached USB adapter will work.

Last edited by rolandoislas, May 11, 2017
  17. ThunderbInazuma

Aug 31, 2015
    Ok, Thank You. I will test to install Ubuntu as Dual Boot. Thanks :-D

18. M1GRATON

M1GRATON Newbie

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    I can't seem to find a concise answer to the following and figured it might be a good place to post it here; my apologies if it is not. Everything I read is has either changed or can now be done differently and can't figure out what's correct, if there is a tutorial if you will can you point me in the right direction? Question: For a 4tb USB HD, on the Wii U can you load both your Wii u and Wii game backups on the same drive? How should you format the drive (partitions all in one the same partition) and is there a good thread to look thru or even better a good tutorial to read thru? Any help is greatly appreciate it, thank you!

Still a noob and trying to read thru what I find to understand it, just so much information to sif thru, only to find out it's outdated or a completely new way to do it

19. ThunderbInazuma

Aug 31, 2015
    Nop. You can't do that. To use it with WiiU Games, you need it to be only for that reason.

20. M1GRATON

M1GRATON Newbie

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    So my next question is; the Wii U has the capability to play your old Wii games, so currently the only way to do that is thru vWii on a completely separate drive from your Wii U games? And if so, can you have some Wii U games on your SD card and the Wii games on the drive and switch accordingly?