Hacking [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this device was plug and play. Looks like it requires more work then gateway does to get the roms working first.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought this device was plug and play. Looks like it requires more work then gateway does to get the roms working first.

I guess what they meant by plug-and-play is that after you get the roms working, you just plug in the cart and play games. Where in Gateway, after you get the roms working, you need to boot-up emuNAND.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :D

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How long does it take to cycle through 31 games?

Cycling through even just 10 games is a pain! I don't know about 31, but I guess I just don't have that much games on my MicroSD Card. I just pick one main game which I play everyday, and some games that I play to kill some time.
If it's one of these Gateway vs Sky3DS posts, In my opinion, if I just have a 3DS between 4.5 - 9.2, I'd go for the Gateway-3DS hands down. But I don't, mine's on 9.5. So basically, its not a matter of choice and which is the better cart, it's about what cart works for you.

Reactions: Osmosis

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Using the HxD software? :(. That was what I was gonna try, I guess you answered it. Though it may not be possible today, or maybe we just don't know how to do it, YET. Maybe a few days or weeks from now someone might be able to solve that issue and I'll add it here in the guide. As of now, just hold on to that save, or just start a new game using a private header.

Probably i am editing it wrongly. I just simply copy the header into .sav file. I am sure there is a better/proper way to do it. Also, I saw somewhere in other forum they talked about md5 checksum?
Is it true that you can't copy and paste header into the .sav file just like that as there is some md5 checksum and if it doesnt tally, the save file will be formatted?

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Headers for Sky3DS only works for playing online.

When it comes to NAND games or EEPROM-NO games, savedata gets REALLY tricky.

Not only must you match the header ID and Chip ID, but you must also match the savedata hex from the original to the Sky3DS or the 3DS SD card savepoint data won't match. Thus Powersaves and Diskwriter will always result in "Corrupt Savedata".

You would have to find the 3DS SD card .sav file, and copy all of the hex data into a Diskwriter or powersaves backup.

This is why you can edit things like money or pokemon into the game via powersaves, but the moment you try to restore a backup to the Sky3DS game it corrupts.

Thus the only way to fix this is to have Gateway3DS / NinjaHax.

This also means when you erase and write a ROM in Diskwriter like Pokemon, it will result in "savedata corrupt" even if it is the same ROM file and headers. The template is acting like a filter to the ROM, but the ROM is still saving data into the ROM itself. While savepoint data is being written to the 3DS SD card.

The key part here is not the ROM savedata, but the 3DS SD card savedata.

And then you're EFed because finding the RIGHT savedata when you have multiple copies (OR and AS share the same block while X and Y save to their own) is impossible unless you only have ONE file, and then copying the hex to the ROM becomes impossible because their is no way to patch it.

Same goes for version patches. Unless you download them from eShop or they update the ROM, there's no way to inject the patch into the ROM because it gets saved to the 3DS SD card. Which is why Nintendon't keeps making them. They're trying to force users into updating.

You may use the private headers to play online using the Sky3DS. That's it. Prevents Ban Hammer. Savegames... you need NinjaHax or Gateway3DS. You cannot transfer savegames from one NAND copy to the other.

BTW, super.bean, mind if I add your tutorial into my master (will give credit)? Or should I PM my master and just have you finish it? Needs work... VERY large, but at least it has a working INDEX.

PM me if interested.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes and no. Easy to download games, pop them into 3DS and not worry about firmware. Then Nintendo got angry and started banning game headers and accounts. That's why you need private headers. Other than that, The Sky3DS is like a r4i cart for 3DS games. It ONLY plays them. Or pretends to be one.

Takes me about 5-7 mins.

Don't forget that by holding the blue button while inserting cart "resets" the cycle. A quick way to start at #1 or "go backwards".

Trimming your ROMs also helps the loading speed. Granted, some games are going to take a little while no matter what. But It helps.

Also, class 10 mSD cards help. SXSD doesn't really do much because it's software based. Class 10 is hardware. So always use Class 10. Do not buy more than 32GB. You don't need more than 32GB for 31 games.

And yes, you can easily fit 31 games onto a 32GB mSD if you trim them. In fact, part of OPTIMISE in Diskwriter does a decent job trimming them for you. But you have to wait through the entire OPTIMISE process which also backups your game list and ROMs.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's one of these Gateway vs Sky3DS posts, In my opinion, if I just have a 3DS between 4.5 - 9.2, I'd go for the Gateway-3DS hands down. But I don't, mine's on 9.5. So basically, its not a matter of choice and which is the better cart, it's about what cart works for you.

Exactly. Gateway3DS/NinjaHax hands down if you can on 9.2 or lower. (although, that's debatable right now without 9.6 emuNAND)

Sky3DS for 9.3+, just to play games. No savedata features, no hacks, no CIAs or ROM dumping. JUST PLAY .3DS ROMs.

The whole header ID thing is about playing online. That's it. Otherwise, you need Gateway.

Actually, what we really need is to reverse engineer the Powersaves Pro so we can do what Gateway does on our PCs instead of on the 3DS. This would either require an EMU or complete decryption of 3DS firmware. (not as difficult as it seems according to some)

If we could use the dongle and create our own server/software we could incorporate a lot of ROM dumping and savedata features. But right now, you're lucky to have Sky3DS and Powersaves on 9.3+.

Ironically, Sky3DS can also be a tool for installing the Gateway onto N3DS, but it's just cheaper to buy Cubic Ninja unless you already have a Sky3DS.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Sky3DS only read clean rom not trimmed.

False.

In fact, Diskwriter's OPTIMISE function actually trims the ROMs -FOR- you. But you're better off using ROM-TOOL and doing it yourself.

Most games cut in half. Games like Pokemon or Resident evil... well... Pokemon will go from 2GB to 1.75GB while Resident Evil will go from 4GB to 2GB.

Most other games start at 1GB and up around 500GB. Some higher, some lower, depending on amount of content.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I attempted to break into my cart, sadly I just confirmed that the cart is held together by an adhesive, and that opening the cart means that i have to carefully break through the outer shell of the cart, which I can't do because I don't want to break my cart's shell, sorry.
Thats too bad :(
Thank you so much for trying though!

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Headers for Sky3DS only works for playing online.

BTW, super.bean, mind if I add your tutorial into my master (will give credit)? Or should I PM my master and just have you finish it? Needs work... VERY large, but at least it has a working INDEX.

PM me if interested.

PM Sent :D
Edit: Can't pm you.

But I won't mind :) sure you can add my guide to your master :D. Don't forget to send me a copy when it's done though, would really love to go through it :D.

500GB, seems very high for a 3DS rom ;)

I think he means 500mb :D

Thats too bad :(

Thank you so much for trying though!

Sure! For science! :D

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
it takes about 4 seconds to cycle between pokémon roms, but it all depends, it takes a few seconds longer to cycle between some other games, but i never had to wait longer then 6 seconds to switch between games.
Also it depends alot on your SD you use (I use Sandisk Ultra 32GB class10) and i never have more then 10 games on it

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
False.

In fact, Diskwriter's OPTIMISE function actually trims the ROMs -FOR- you. But you're better off using ROM-TOOL and doing it yourself.

Most games cut in half. Games like Pokemon or Resident evil... well... Pokemon will go from 2GB to 1.75GB while Resident Evil will go from 4GB to 2GB.

Most other games start at 1GB and up around 500GB. Some higher, some lower, depending on amount of content.

What exactly is being removed when you trim a ROM? I assume other languages take up a fair amount of space.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly is being removed when you trim a ROM? I assume other languages take up a fair amount of space.

"TRIM" as in get rid of unused, not as in get rid of something.

Empty space, mostly. Unused blocks.

It's sad when you realize we're paying $40.oo for a piece of plastic and less than 1GB of actual data.

Now hold on as I try to shove 500GB into my 3DS.... :evil:

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Throughout the "Cheating with Spider" section you call the memory card a "MiniSD" and I believe you just mean an ordinary SD memory card.

kartky.jpg

1. SD
  2. Mini SD
  3. Micro SD

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Throughout the "Cheating with Spider" section you call the memory card a "MiniSD" and I believe you just mean an ordinary SD memory card.

kartky.jpg

1. SD
  2. Mini SD
  3. Micro SD

Depends if you're using a New3DSXL or an old one. Old ones use SD while New use mSD. Carts like GW and Sky3DS use mSD. The annoying thing is that the New3DSXL mSD slot is under the battery? Is that correct? I thought they put it on the side? Dunno... don't have one yet.

1 = SD
2 = MSD
3 = mSD

but typos happen and CAP screaming doesn't help either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"