Tutorial  Updated

Easily Installing SudokuHax on CFW

This guide is now outdated.
You can now install the DSi Homebrew Menu as a CIA here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-homebrew-menu-directly-on-your-home-menu.416791/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-homebrew-menu-directly-on-your-home-menu.416791/

Note that you must have patched TWL_FIRM before it can run, look here for a guide on that topic:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-patch-twl_firm-to-play-normally-blocked-ds-games.414578/

The old guide is below for those who still wish to install sudokuhax.
This is a tutorial that shows an easier way to install the DSi exploit 'SudokuHax' onto a 3ds console. Previous guides on this topic have involved a lot of steps which may not be easy to the noob who wants DSi homebrew on his/her 3ds. Due to recent advancements in hacking TWL_FIRM, an easier method has been opened up that doesn't require manually injecting Sudoku into your Nand. Without further ado, lets get started.

Step 1: Install a Patched TWL_Firm into EmuNand

Search a certain well known site for a thread titled: "Patched TWL_FIRM cias for O3DS and N3DS" and install the respective CIA file. Sorry but I cannot link it here. Alternatively, use a recent nightly build of RXTools, it has the patches built in.

For an easy walkthrough on this step, perform steps 0-3 from this guide.

This patches the signature check that the 3ds uses to verify DSi games when it runs them.

Step 2: Install Sudoku
Search the same site as above for the thread titled: "DSiWare Mega Pack. 112 DSi Games for your 3DS!"
Download the file and extract the cia titled SUDOKU-Electronic_Arts_Inc..cia. Drag it onto your sd card and install it onto both Sysnand and Emunand with the cia manager of your choice. Make sure the file gets installed to Nand on both, not the SD Card.

This will install the actual game which has the exploit. Sorry but I cannot link this file either.

Step 3: Install and Load TWLNandFiler
Search the same site again (noticing a pattern?) for the thread titled: "TWLNandFiler and WMTestTool (Retail patched)" and download the file called TWLNandFiler_RetailPatched.rar. Extract the file with .cia on the end, and drag it onto your sd card.

Download the save file attached to this post, extract it, and put it onto your sd card as well.

Install TWLNandFiler onto both EmuNand and SysNand with the cia manager of your choice, and then launch it through the Cia manager. (For FBI launch the title called "NandFiler" while your destination is Nand, while in DevMenu/BBB launch the program called "TWL NandFiler).

This will load into an application that allows us to manipulate the save files of DSiWare installed onto the 3ds.

Step 4: Install the Save Exploit
When you have entered TWL_NandFiler, scroll down to the yellow folder titled "sd", press A to select it, then

find the file you put onto your sd card in step 3 called K4DE_public.sav. When your selector is on it, press X to bring up the action menu, and click on the restore option. Press A to confirm.

This will install the actual exploit into the Sudoku save.

Step 5: Running the DS Homebrew Channel

Download this file:

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/boot-zip.21417/

and extract it onto the root of your sd card. This is the homebrew launcher that is commonly used to launch dsi homebrew. Test out your newly installed Sudokuhax by loading the Sudoku game and moving past the main menu. When the HBMenu loads you will have a fully functioning Sudokuhax on your 3ds, and you will be able to launch DS/DSi Homebrew that you can place on your sd card!

Credits to
@TuxSH and @Steveice10 for the TWL_FIRM Patches
@Apache Thunder for getting TWLNandFiler running on non-dev consoles, among other things in this guide
Team Twiizers for the SudokuHax exploit
@ahezard for editing the SudokuHax save file so that it would work in TWLNandFiler
@zoogie for releasing this modified version of the DS Homebrew Launcher that works with SD Cards higher than 2 GB

Attachments

• K4DE_public.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 529
Last edited by 1ted59,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Great idea except you negate the benefits of launching from sysnand this way.

What I'd like to see is an an app that injects sudoku and it's hax save directly to the CTR filesystem all in one step. I think that would be possible and certainly very nice.

Last edited by zoogie,

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thank you so much for this. My dream came true. Because the sudokuhax was released to PAL and US region.
Sudokuhax worked on my updated 10.5(JPN) sysnand and Emunand! (the game is US region's. so I launched game through DevMenu SDK11.4) Thank you again!
but, the NDS homebrew which has ini file did not work. I always got an error when reading the file like "ini" file.

Any idea?

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What do I do? Everything I run ends up in a white screen. I tried GameYob and nesDS which are confirmed working on sudokuhax.
I'm having the same issue i tried to load SCUMMVM and got a white screen

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 945

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, is there any noteworthy homebrew available on the DSi side of things? NesDS I assume is massively outdated and Retroarch's NES emulators run better, so I'm more curious if there are any interesting homebrew games that make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Classicgamer

jsa

Trophies
Website
muffinti.me
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would guess "that chaos site" would have it as well.
Sadly not, I checked.
"that iso site" doesn't have an EUR soduku, thoug i heard the patched twl firm make out of region stuff apper on menu, is it true?
I have an EUR N3DS too and the TWL_FIRM patch should do exactly that (of course I can't find the patch so I can't say yet)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.