Tutorial  Updated

Delete predownloaded update ("Spotpass nag") [Sysnand only]

This has only been tested by myself on a small, old 3DS on 8.1, 9.0 and 9.4, but it's reasonable for this to work on any console. Feedback is obviously appreciated!

1. Completely power off your system.
  2. Boot in recovery mode (press L+R+A+↑+Power, hold the first four about 1 second, more won't hurt the system but only your fingers... ;))
  3. It will ask you as usual to update. However, it will take a little longer for the screen to come up compared to the speed it would have had if you didn't already have an update.
  4. If you click yes, the update will be completely redownloaded then installed...
  5. If you click no, it will power off and you'll go home free!

Update 2017: Yes, this is only for sysnand (although you can hack the import.db of a nag-free sysnand's internal storage onto emunand through Decrypt9 or similiar ways, check out specific tutorials), because no CFW implements the launching of emunand's recovery mode!

This is also unrelated to the forced updates for YouTube or the browsers bundled with 9.9+, and neither it resets the "update available for this app" text
on the Home launcher!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
watched the Video tut. on Youtube this was done on the Og3ds and it has wifi slider, i have the n3ds and it doesnt have the Wifi slider.. how do i do this then ? :/ i dont want to mess up my Sysnand.. any easy step like this one ?

i use GW and have my Emunand linked. and i dont want to re-exploit eveyrhitng, cause i dont have oot atm. its at a friend.

anyone did this on N3ds??

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question, but when I did this, I didn't have Wi-Fi turned on (N3DS) and the message it asked was if I wanted to turn on Wireless. I hit cancel and it powered off. Did it still delete the update, or will it come up again? (I undid the router block so I could download YouTube for TubeHax, and forgot to turn the block back on.)

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer Kurt91's question: The answer appears to be a "yes"! I was an idiot and left my New 3DS in sleep mode with the internet on, and it downloaded the latest firmware, asking me if I want to update. I followed the videos instructions with the WiFi disabled, and it appears to have worked. Going into "System Update" asks me if I want to download the update and install it rather than saying that the update it already installed, much like it does at the end of the video tutorial.

So yeah, it appears you can just boot into Recovery Mode on the New 3DS with the internet off, hit "Cancel", and it'll clear the update data that's already on there. I'll edit this message if I'm wrong, but that appears to work just fine.

Reactions: tatumanu

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method seemed to work so far. I'll give it a couple of day and see what happens.

Also I blocked the following with opendns

nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net (http) (Where the update content is hosted)
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net (https) (Where updates are checked)
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net

Lucky Dearly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This method seemed to work so far. I'll give it a couple of day and see what happens.

Also I blocked the following with opendns

nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net (http) (Where the update content is hosted)
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net (https) (Where updates are checked)
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net

Where do I set those on opendns? And will this get rid of the internet browser update nag?

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do I set those on opendns? And will this get rid of the internet browser update nag?

cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net is the one for the browser update nag

you set this in your settings for open DNS where it lets you chose what to block, there is a custom block option and you can add as many domains as you want.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been missing the 'temp a bit, so here I'm back! I've edited the title to make it clear this is about sysnand!

Does this work with the "browser-version-check" nag problem on v9.9+?

I strongly doubt it, as the check was implemented in the browser itself (just like with tubehax, nobody expected it to do a in-app version check with Nintendo) and is also saved in the browser's save area!

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works well, I just booted into recovery and hit cancel and nada for a week now, I wish I knew this a year ago.

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if this would clear the nag on emunand if using arm9loaderhax to auto boot into a emunand instead of sysnand.

If no one else can do a test sooner I'll test out of curiosity next time a update comes out. I just don't plan on downgrading my emunand to initiate a nag just for this test.

This would be out of curiosity since there is not much of a reason to not update a emunand.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If no one else can do a test sooner I'll test out of curiosity next time a update comes out.

Well, you could try right now -- set different networks on sysnand and emunand, try recovery mode well away from those networks or Zones, then agree to reconfigure wifi to see which nand is running...

This would be out of curiosity since there is not much of a reason to not update a emunand.
Who knows whatever more or less deliberate incompatibilities wil pop up in the future... and I use the home launcher from 8.1 as it's faster and more stable (for all meanings of the word) than anything newer!

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tested it and it was still using the sysNAND. Looks like no luck for easy emuNAND nag clearing yet.

It was worth a try though to see how the new hack handled recovery mode.

gangs_08

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Update 2016: Yes, this is only for sysnand (although you can hack the import.db of a nag-free sysnand's internal storage onto emunand through Decrypt9 or similiar ways, check out specific tutorials), because no CFW implements the launching of recovery mode!

any link for such guide?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies