Tutorial  Updated

Delete predownloaded update ("Spotpass nag") [Sysnand only]

This has only been tested by myself on a small, old 3DS on 8.1, 9.0 and 9.4, but it's reasonable for this to work on any console. Feedback is obviously appreciated!

1. Completely power off your system.
  2. Boot in recovery mode (press L+R+A+↑+Power, hold the first four about 1 second, more won't hurt the system but only your fingers... ;))
  3. It will ask you as usual to update. However, it will take a little longer for the screen to come up compared to the speed it would have had if you didn't already have an update.
  4. If you click yes, the update will be completely redownloaded then installed...
  5. If you click no, it will power off and you'll go home free!

Update 2017: Yes, this is only for sysnand (although you can hack the import.db of a nag-free sysnand's internal storage onto emunand through Decrypt9 or similiar ways, check out specific tutorials), because no CFW implements the launching of emunand's recovery mode!

This is also unrelated to the forced updates for YouTube or the browsers bundled with 9.9+, and neither it resets the "update available for this app" text
on the Home launcher!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has only been tested by myself on a small, old 3DS on 8.1, 9.0 and 9.4, but it's reasonable for this to work on any console. Feedback is obviously appreciated!

2. Boot in recovery mode (press L+R+A+↑+Power, hold the first four about 1 second, more won't hurt the system but only your fingers... ;))
  3. It will ask you as usual to update. However, it will take a little longer for the screen to come up compared to the speed it would have had if you didn't already have an update.
  4. If you click yes, the update will be completely redownloaded then installed...
I tried it on my 4.5 3DS XL, and that seemed to work. It took me to the update area of settings, and when I pressed cancel and rebooted, the nag didn't appear. I'll check again tomorrow to be sure it's gone.

Reactions: Disco

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried it on my 4.5 3DS XL, and that seemed to work. It took me to the update area of settings, and when I pressed cancel and rebooted, the nag didn't appear. I'll check again tomorrow to be sure it's gone.

Oh, forgot to mention that you can compare the bottom screens of settings>yellow zone>page 4>system update before and after... it has a different wording from the one you see in recovery if a local update will be used.

And of course this trick is most useful if you also block Nintendo's servers on the router, although you can surely use it by itself!

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country

Were you able to confirm if it worked or not?

Reactions: Margen67

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know there was a 3DS recovery mode... Just entered it, and hit cancel, and as soon as my Home Menu came up, I disabled my Wireless.

I will report back tomorrow to confirm if this worked for me on my 9.2U 2DS with the nag for 9.5U :yaynds:

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France

hahahah that's so dumb ... and it works :D
coupled with psvproxy as dns i don't have to fear anything now

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
FW9.4 3DS XL with nag screen to update, did the trick and i rebooted the console often with regular pauses, this for half a day long, didn't have the nag screen again.
Will see tomorrow., damned if it keeps away, so stupid and easy :)
Thanks, there's nothing to lose anyway. (Just don't press Yes :P )

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this work when booting into emunand?
My first thought would be a big "NO". Booting emunand doesn't start from scratch (otherwise, there shouldn't be an issue with >6.0 save encryption) and a recovery menu is *usually* a function within the bootrom (already loaded before the firmware is loaded)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
If your emunand is still on an exploitable firmware version, you can just extract it with emunand tool (backup sysnand first!) and inject it to sysnand using Gateway's nand restore feature. Then do this trick to remove the update. Then have Gateway back the sysnand up again overwriting the initial file you extracted from emunand. Then injecting that file back into emunand. Then simply restore you original sysnand you started out with via Gateway menu.

Though I recommend you have a NAND mod before you think about attempting this. I've heard conflicting reports about certain versions emunands bricking the 3DS if you write them to sysnand. Also, RedNand/CFW emunand CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT be injected into sysnand. That will also brick your console.

Also, if you have a NAND mod, you don't need to worry about emunand being on an exploitable version since you can use your hard mod to restore the sysnand backup anyway. ;)

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh oh. This seemed to work for me all day today, but once again it popped up the stupid nag :(
I've noticed though, that even if the update data is deleted (system update selection from system settings says ready to download update from internet) it will still pop up the nag ocassionally. Perhaps I misunderstood the topic though, and that's all you meant for this to do. Argh, I just want to get rid of the nag...

I've also noticed that Nintendo only enables the nag for some versions of the firmware. For example when I accidentally downloaded 9.0 on my 8.1 2DS (confirmed it via system update in system settings) but it never nagged me about it. But when it accidentally downloaded 9.4 (still being on 8.1) it started nagging me right away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1