Emulation Guide: Add Japan-Only SMA4 e-Reader Levels to Your US/EU Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted_171835

Dude, you're awesome!
I'm going to do this. I haven't touched SMA4 for a long while. Time for extra levels!
yay.gif

Thanks!

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uhhh i am totally lost ,could that tutorial be any longer?

so is this so i can play these e-levels an my ds with a flashcard and a rom of the game?

i mean not just on an emulator on my pc right?

and will all i need for this be my ds lite,my dstwo,and a rom of smba4?well plus the no$gba emulator on my pc and e-reader rom,no$gba bios, and the other files,what i mean is can it be done without the smba4 cartridge,just my dslite and supercard dstwo?in terms of physical hardware?

because i dont understand the the steps that say to use the rudolf backup tool ,especially the last step, if i have a nds slot 1 flash card and the rom for the game then why do i need the actual game cart, and the and a flashcard, and the rom?

and why cant someone just post the damn .sav files on here with the us and jap e-levels already unlocked?

so that all we have to do is load the rom and the sav files onto our flashcard and be done with it?

oh ok so maybe its for people with flashcards that cant do gba emulation then? but even if thats true ,then why not still post the .sav files ?they could still be used right?

i am using a ds lite and a supercard ds two, i dont have my smba4 cart anymore ,so can i do this or not ? or do i have to have my super card dstwo and the smba4 cart and a rom of smba4?

and if it is possible for me to play the e-levels on my ds lite with my supercard dstwo and its gba emulator and a smba4 rom,will i have to still go through all of these steps over and over again to unlock each level? or can i just download the .sav files?i dont see why i cant just download the .sav files with the e-levels already unlocked,why wouldnt it work for me?and why wouldnt it work for someone with a slot 1 flashcard with no gba emulator support?or will it work for scds2 but not other slot 1 cards with no gba emulator?

i already had a hard enough time getting the damn game to work at all on my flashcard, so this shoudnt effect the ips patch i had to put on the rom just to get it to work right?i mean if it can be done at all

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If anyone wants, I've uploaded a US save file that has most of the e-Reader levels (levels 1-12, the Japan-exclusive levels 13-30, and the promo castle levels. The star levels aren't included because there's no room).
The save file works fine on emulators if they are configured correctly.
Here's the save file. Enjoy.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
HOLY. FUCK SAUCE.

Your save works on my 3 in 1 and EZFIV!!!! YES!

I tried to modify the save on VBA and transfer the save, and then I tried to acutally use the e reader it my link cable wouldn't work.

I tried diligently for WEEKS to get this working on real hardware, THANK YOU SO MUCH YAYMII.
gbasp.gif
bow.gif

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Hmm... if I post my retail cart's save file, can someone import the levels in?

It takes FOREVER.

Like I said, after weeks of trying, I gave up on this.

Of course, upload your save and maybe somebody will give it a go.

@ Ziggy: It most definitely can. If somebody were to import Pokemon/etc. whatever cards into ereader dot codes, it could be done.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@anyone using my save: YOU'RE WELCOME.

@Schlupi: Actually, it doesn't take that long if you know how to properly do it. There's a command prompt tool (for Windows) out there that allows quick importing and exporting of levels from a SMA4 US .sav file, which is what I used. It is a lot less hassle compared to emulating a link and e-Reader and transferring each one manually. And AFAIK, you'd need to beat a level before importing another if you're importing it the normal way.

@8BitWaluigi: Go ahead, you can post it. It only takes 10-20 minutes if I import it my way (however I'll be away from home for a week or two starting Wednesday, so I might not be able to do it immediately).

@Ziggy: It's certainly possible, but I haven't seen anyone do this for other games. I'm assuming that the reason that only SMA4 has these e-Reader features available online is because of demand. There were so many exclusive e-Reader features in the game(demonstrated by this video), and the sheer amount of hacking potential in the game caused people to want a level editor. And by getting the e-Reader cards into a readable file format was the first step towards this.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I got it. And I've also created an overly simplified process of adding the levels in.

Here is what I used to hack in the levels. It makes the process a lot simpler, as it's directly importing the levels into the save rather than using an e-Reader emulator to copy it in. Here's a direct link if you can't be bothered to read the details.

I've also created a batch file that allows for instant importation of the levels. See the spoiler.
Code:
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom01.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom02.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom03.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom04.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom05.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom06.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom07.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom08.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom09.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom10.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom11.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom12.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom13.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom14.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom15.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom16.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom17.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom18.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom19.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom20.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom21.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom22.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom23.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom24.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom25.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom26.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom27.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom28.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom29.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom30.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\promo1.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\promo2.level"
Note that you can only store 32 complete levels in a save. You can put a 33rd level in also, but I haven't included one in my saves since it breaks the completed menu layout (it leaves one of the levels on its own empty page). The 33rd level is also counted as a "temporary" level, and will prompt you to save it after completing the level (and since there's only supposed to be space for 32, it doesn't allow you if you select 'yes')
--------------------

@8BitWaluigi: Here you go. I just used the method described above to do this. I haven't tested the save yet, but I'm pretty sure it should work flawlessly.
And I really hope I find a solution to my Windows 7 issues.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit YayMii. You're awesome.

I love you forever! I can't express how much I appreciate this with words.

On a similar note... these e-levels are VERY interesting. I can't begin to comprehend how bizarre, crazy, and crossover filled these levels are. They are pretty challenging too.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
YayMii said:
Okay, I got it. And I've also created an overly simplified process of adding the levels in.

Here is what I used to hack in the levels. It makes the process a lot simpler, as it's directly importing the levels into the save rather than using an e-Reader emulator to copy it in. Here's a direct link if you can't be bothered to read the details.

I've also created a batch file that allows for instant importation of the levels. See the spoiler.
Code:
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom01.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom02.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom03.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom04.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom05.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom06.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom07.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom08.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom09.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom10.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom11.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom12.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom13.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom14.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom15.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom16.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom17.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom18.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom19.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom20.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom21.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom22.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom23.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom24.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom25.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom26.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom27.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom28.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom29.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\mushroom30.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\promo1.level"
"{file path}\sma4savtool\sma4savtool.exe" -a "{save file}" "{file path}\world-e Levels\promo2.level"
Note that you can only store 32 complete levels in a save. You can put a 33rd level in also, but I haven't included one in my saves since it breaks the completed menu layout (it leaves one of the levels on its own empty page). The 33rd level is also counted as a "temporary" level, and will prompt you to save it after completing the level (and since there's only supposed to be space for 32, it doesn't allow you if you select 'yes')
--------------------

@8BitWaluigi: Here you go. I just used the method described above to do this. I haven't tested the save yet, but I'm pretty sure it should work flawlessly.
And I really hope I find a solution to my Windows 7 issues.
Thanks YayMii! I imported your save file into my game (The one you posted earlier) and all I got was a black screen with sound. :/

I'll test my save file when I get home.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: YayMii, IT WORKED!
biggrin.gif

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
biggrin.gif
Glad it worked.
I don't understand why my savefile didn't work though. I thought it would be pretty much the same. But I made my save using VBA.

And it's looking like reinstalling Windows may be my only option. Hopefully I find another way
ohnoes.png

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must have some bad luck. My Super Mario Advance 4 JP decided to say "fuck you" to me. So I selected #21 60 Seconds and it re-directs me to "Swinging Bars of Doom". I have not touched it in so long. Any idea's

Edit: The US Version work just fine. My original JP Copy hates me.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone please upload a save for the eu game with the levels injected ? i'm to stupid to do it xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling on you