Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Do you have an example?
G2a

You will read mixed reviews and experiences vary. However, I've never had an issue.

You'll also need to make sure it's for your region. Steam has started doing a weird region lock thing.

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
G2a

You will read mixed reviews and experiences vary. However, I've never had an issue.

You'll also need to make sure it's for your region. Steam has started doing a weird region lock thing.

Ah, I forgot about that one. A friend mentioned it a while ago and he said he never had any problems with it. It does seem kind of shady. They even sell Heroes of the Storm beta keys.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I forgot about that one. A friend mentioned it a while ago and he said he never had any problems with it. It does seem kind of shady. They even sell Heroes of the Storm beta keys.
They take paypal. So, you're safe there.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, you're going to get a digital copy of this game one way or the other. If you buy a physical copy, you're essentially going to get a key that will be tied to the Rockstar Social Network, and I assume you'll be able to download it from there again in the future should you wish. Even the steam version has to be registered on R* SN. The only benefit to having a physical copy is being able to install from the disc. Considering the game is supposed to be about 65GB, that could be a large benefit, depending on your internet speed. Green Man Gaming and a few other sites have been selling the digital version (Rockstar Warehouse direct version) for $45. No one seems to be selling the steam version except for steam, and it's the full $60 price. If you don't mind the large download, you can save yourself some money going digital.

Reactions: Kioku

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's a grey market site, like the others like it. Sells mostly russian keys for games, beta keys like Heroes of the Storm are grabbed by bots whenever any are given away, etc. They also sell stolen keys from time to time, they're not fussy. They also stockpile popular games that go on super good sales and sell for profit, that's probably their most legit method. Most of the time you wont have issues though.

If you ask me, PayPal itself is shady as hell.

Paypal is run by incompetent monkeys and bots (I don't think i've ever gotten a human response from their 'support'). It's a horrible site but there's not much a person can do given it's the easiest and most widespread service to use. Shady isn't really the right word for it.

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a grey market site, like the others like it. Sells mostly russian keys for games, beta keys like Heroes of the Storm are grabbed by bots whenever any are given away, etc. They also sell stolen keys from time to time, they're not fussy. They also stockpile popular games that go on super good sales and sell for profit, that's probably their most legit method. Most of the time you wont have issues though.

Paypal is run by incompetent monkeys and bots (I don't think i've ever gotten a human response from their 'support'). It's a horrible site but there's not much a person can do given it's the easiest and most widespread service to use. Shady isn't really the right word for it.

I don't think a bot smashed that poor lady's violin. They are about as dirty as regular banks, and they get away with it even easier because they technically aren't one.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think a bot smashed that poor lady's violin. They are about as dirty as regular banks, and they get away with it even easier because they technically aren't one.

Paypal didn't smash it either, they ordered it. Their support is all bots, their dispute cases are typically just a disaster like the example you posted. They don't actually read cases, that would take far too much manpower. I wouldn't be surprised if disputes were dealt with a bot that detected keywords and issued a reply based on them. I know I had a dispute closed in the sellers favour when they replied to my dispute with "." and paypal would take no further action.

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paypal didn't smash it either, they ordered it. Their support is all bots, their dispute cases are typically just a disaster like the example you posted. They don't actually read cases, that would take far too much manpower. I wouldn't be surprised if disputes were dealt with a bot that detected keywords and issued a reply based on them. I know I had a dispute closed in the sellers favour when they replied to my dispute with "." and paypal would take no further action.

Someone at PayPal is making decisions. Decisions to use bots. They are responsible for the bots and the outcomes of their cases. I'm just saying that they aren't good or trustworthy.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital vs Physical.

Physical means you always have a copy of the game. If steam goes tits up, Rockstar died, you still have a disk that will install the game, and then using 3rd party tools/cracks, you will most likely still have a playable game 5+ years from now.

Digital means you are subject to who you download it from if you can download it again. I don't mind buying stuff on Steam because I know I can always download it later. Of course, if steam goes tits up I am most likely screwed. Buying digital from some random web page on the internet is the most risky. If you HD crashes, can you get a copy again? Or are you SOL?

All that being said, I'm seriously debating preordering the game from steam. Which is weird because I never preorder (I'm against it) and I rarely buy new games when they come out. But dang, it's GTA V...

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital vs Physical.

Physical means you always have a copy of the game. If steam goes tits up, Rockstar died, you still have a disk that will install the game, and then using 3rd party tools/cracks, you will most likely still have a playable game 5+ years from now.

Digital means you are subject to who you download it from if you can download it again. I don't mind buying stuff on Steam because I know I can always download it later. Of course, if steam goes tits up I am most likely screwed. Buying digital from some random web page on the internet is the most risky. If you HD crashes, can you get a copy again? Or are you SOL?

All that being said, I'm seriously debating preordering the game from steam. Which is weird because I never preorder (I'm against it) and I rarely buy new games when they come out. But dang, it's GTA V...

Yeah, I haven't preordered a game in a long time either but broke the streak with GTA V. If it's a shitty port I'll be furious.

Reactions: Margen67

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital vs Physical.

Having a physical copy that you have to crack leaves you susceptible to all of the same crap that straight up pirating the game does. By that same logic, if you buy a digital copy of the game, regardless of the source, you'll always be able to download it in 5+ years from your torrent site of choice. I'm not trying to be overly argumentative, but buying a physical copy that must be activated online in order to work kinda defeats the purpose. Physical discs are still a great option on consoles, where they do actually matter. And in case you're wondering, you can re-download the Rockstar version as many times as you want (at least until they close their doors). Once you tie your key to your Rockstar account, you'll get an option on their website to download your game clients.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I've heard this as well, but I don't have a source. I don't think we actually need to worry about Steam shutting down for many, many years, though. It's too profitable.

Your signature disagrees lol
E0Sx9OY.png

Also, aware that this is a bump- figured better to post here than rethread
Anyone who bought it on Steam VS Social Club have any pre-load issues?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it