Gaming great japan only GBA games?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
translation would be great...... come to think of it, translation would be a must. so any good japan only GBA games? i know about mother 3..... who doesnt.
ph34r.gif

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you go here, you can see every game on the Game Boy Advance, and there are included region releases, as well. You could pick out games from Japan that sound interesting and then try them out on an emulator.

But seriously, there are a few anime-based games on the Game Boy Advance. I believe i've tried Mahou Sensei Negima! - Private Lesson Damedesuu Toshokanjima... But i'm not sure.. I just know the rom I got was named Mahou Sensei Negima and it was in all Japanese and I had no understanding how to play it... But in the end I thought it was pretty decent.

Some ROM sites also have a special thing that allows you to look for ROMs by region. Unfortunately I can only tell you that the site i'm thinking of has ROM in the name, but that slims down your choices to too many to look at.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gegege no Kitaro: Kiki Ippatsu! Youkai Rettou was very enjoyable and Japanese knowledge isn't required. A good action platformer based on a Japanese cartoon that doesn't suck.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are a whole host of games worth a look but the big two would be Kurukuru Kururin (granted that one had a European version) and Kururin Paradise.

Puyo Puyo had a few games if you like that sort of thing.

Japan outside of some homebrew has the best version of Tetris I have seen on the GBA, not that beating tetris worlds is a hard feat. The game I think is an underdump but minna no soft tetris.

Many of the minna no soft and Simple 2960 Tomodachi series are great games.

As Hadrian implies a good chunk of the Japanese releases were Japanese shovelware (often based on an anime/manga of the moment and usually a bad platformer or glorified encyclopaedia if so), cookie cutter RPGs and region dupes of shovelware.
They do have a great line in puzzle games, insanity and Mahjong that is not just Mahjong solitaire.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
thanks everyone.

Inunah said:
Some ROM sites also have a special thing that allows you to look for ROMs by region. Unfortunately I can only tell you that the site i'm thinking of has ROM in the name, but that slims down your choices to too many to look at.

thanks i found what you mean.
wink.gif
is Bleach Advance - Kurenai ni Somaru Soul Society anygood.... ill actually check it..

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Guru Logic Champ is one of the best puzzle games on the GBA. No translation required, the cutscenes are animated without dialogue and it's quite easy to figure out what the menu options do.

And the Stafi / Starfy / however-the-heck-it's-spelt series is rather good if you like platformers.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, PH hosted a page which had a list of Japanese-only games and were rated based on playability for non-Japanese speakers.

jdb.pocketheaven.com, was the URL, PH of course being down currently it doesn't help.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F-Zero Climax is simply fantastic and there's little language to get in the way, also has a huge save memory slot in which you can can make like 3 or 4 full size tracks with the N64DD like editor built in to mess with later or share with others(if you could find someone with it.)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boktai 3- Sabata's Counterattack. It was Japan only, but i think it was DarthNemesis who translated it. So kudos to him! It's a great game, continuing the traditional solar sensor Boktai games, the previous two of which were released in America. I guess sales for those failed or something, because we never got 3. Or maybe it was because the GBA was on its way out by that time. Great game though, the game is pretty much 98% translated, minus a few menu things. You can get a solar sensor patch too.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart. Nice entry in the ever-improving Dragon Quest Monsters spinoff games. I thoroughly enjoy them, excellent Pokemon alternatives IMO. Completed 100% translation hack released not too long ago.

That's all i can think of that received a translation. There was a Mother 1+2 compilation port to GBA of the NES and SNES games, but a full translation was never made for the Mother 2 portion. You can get both games in English on their original systems anyways.

There was a spinoff of the Megaman Battle Network series which never got a US release or a translation- Rockman.exe 4.5 Real Operation. Kind of a mix up of action and turn based gameplay. Not a main story or anything from what i saw.

And then there was a third game in the Summon Night Swordcraft Story series. Summon Night Swordcraft Story 3. Like Boktai, the first two games were localized, but the third was not. Again, either poor sales or because the GBA was dying at that time. But it never got a translation. These games have similar gameplay to the Tales games, the battles at least. You can make your own weapons and such. Check them out if you haven't, they're pretty fun.

And lastly, there was one or two Fire Emblems on GBA that were Japan only IIRC. I don't know which ones were not released, and i don't think they received translations, but maybe they did. Not kept up with the series or which games are which.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
donelwero said:
There is a translation patch for Fire Emblem 6 Sword of Seals, google for it as I dont remember where I found it.

Fire Emblem 6 Sword of Seals? do you mean Fire Emblem: F?in no Tsurugi, if so thanks i ready know about that?
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)