Hacking Grand Knights History English Patch Alpha (looking for help)

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it's a revolver :)? It should be renamed 'Shinki Gun' for consistency.
Additional suggestion: rename this subcategory of guns 'Cannon'. I guess, 'Handcannon' will be too long.
It's actually something more like "Shinki Decorative Gun". For some reason, we thought Revolver was a good choice, although it certainly does not look like a revolver. We'll use Shinki Gun. I think Cannon for the category will run into the same problems as changing Spear to Polearm, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Once again, the same text is displayed after both helping the knight and ignoring his request. Replace 'recovered' with 'recovering'.
This was a translation error on our (my) part. It should be "wounded" instead of "recovered". I think I was copy-pasting and ended up using the same text for the case in which you help the knight.

Script error? If you take the sword, two text segments are displayed. The first says that the party left the sword there, and the second says they actually took it.
Can you remember how the event goes? It should be: someone sees a sword and you can either take it or not. If you try to take it, you get attacked by skeletons. If you don't, you move on. I don't know if you actually get an item if you defeat the skeletons after pulling it out. I looked over our translation against the Japanese file and the translations are in the correct positions, so I'm scratching my head as to why it showed both messages.

Please check translation of this random encounter description.
He actually says something more along the lines of "These items have a variety of effects. Try out some different combinations - there are a wide range of them". I've re-worked this line to: "These jewels have lots of various effects. I bet there are several different combinations you haven't tried. You should experiment a bit."

'Gold Sword' -> 'Gilded Sword'?
Good suggestion. Your grasp of the English language is much better than mine.

'If you find this method' - questionable translation.
She really does say "If you can find the way", or "If you can find the method". I'm actually not even sure what tip she's trying to give here. I'm thinking she's talking about how different methods of training take a different number of days to complete. So, if you train with those methods that take less days to complete (like 3 days versus 5 days), then you can technically get more training done in the 60 day period. Anyone have any ideas?

Again, 'Wha!' -> 'What?!'
The "Wha" vs "What" we used are intentional, although questionable. The Japanese have various exclamations to show surprise (Liscia uses several different ones, Mira has some unique ones). The miner in this case uses "Uwa!", which we felt was more of a short "Oh, you surprised me" kind of deal rather than a "What's happening right now?".

I think we actually even kept some "uwa"s that Liscia uses because we felt it held better to her character than something like "woah" or "oh". Of course, how we did this is open to suggestion.

Al_Sleeper
I like your suggestions and fixes, keep up the good work.
Agreed, Al_Sleeper is doing a great job with catching mistakes and fixing the grammar problems. Judging from the screenshots of level 99 characters, I'm sure Al_Sleeper has seen a good majority of the game's text as well.

I'm also working with another tester who's finished the main story and going through as many quests as he can, and I'm near the end of the main story as well. I'm thinking we're getting pretty close to a more final text patch, although I've still got some work to do for before I can call the patch final.

and of course thanks justfuit (justfruit?)
I didn't realize my user name could be interpreted as a misspelling of "just fruit". I thought that was funny. It's actually supposed to be a play on Nike's "Just Do It" slogan. Thanks for the support!

Al_Sleeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I think Cannon for the category will run into the same problems as changing Spear to Polearm, but I haven't looked into it yet.
No, I don't mean the whole category, just those guns that actually have 'Gun' in their names because they look like handcannons.

Can you remember how the event goes? It should be: someone sees a sword and you can either take it or not. If you try to take it, you get attacked by skeletons. If you don't, you move on. I don't know if you actually get an item if you defeat the skeletons after pulling it out. I looked over our translation against the Japanese file and the translations are in the correct positions, so I'm scratching my head as to why it showed both messages.
IIRC, if you don't take the sword, everything is fine.
However, if you do take it, you have to fight a group of skeletons, and then the following text is displayed:
~'You leave the sword on the ground. It continues to glow faintly.'
~'The sword is cleansed now. I think we can take it.'
and you get a decent sword.

She really does say "If you can find the way", or "If you can find the method". I'm actually not even sure what tip she's trying to give here. I'm thinking she's talking about how different methods of training take a different number of days to complete. So, if you train with those methods that take less days to complete (like 3 days versus 5 days), then you can technically get more training done in the 60 day period. Anyone have any ideas?
I guess she means there are two types of training: training in combat and training in the capital. The first type does not require any permits, the second type does require them.

030914562d6fe728502cdcef1302f1a2.jpg

'and were seen' -> 'and they were seen'

1becb65a69eb81c536868285363047c9.jpg

Questionable translation.

d8fe32adc404bb66008c22a79b064a35.jpg

'series a battles' -> 'series of battles'

93825d9a4784ae146dcd0a29f5c911e4.jpg

'either treasure' -> 'either a treasure'
'slime' -> 'slimes' in the whole random encounter description.

e9aa69b4efcb8ee66c214914135fd634.jpg

IIRC, default group name is 'Avalon Knights', therefore it is better to replace 'is conducting' with 'are conducting'.

12314a310ff01e89dc1ddecf01fcd3c2.jpg

'hiding monsters' -> 'monsters hiding'

91d16da1b42ed8b9c950004dcd21f259.jpg

'a knight' -> 'the knight' because it is probably the same knight who hired the group to do the scouting.

b24ddaa8374dde413365ade8f38fe560.jpg

'purchased' -> 'obtained' because buying is not the only way to get new items.

d76525be98e460624a19aabe7565133b.jpg

'There may be stronghold.' -> 'There may be stronghold somewhere around.'

b244362aac2ac36b41e4d02c88fa9327.jpg

'the requested item' -> 'the requested items'
'the group were able' -> 'the group was able'

1fd96f2fe32e0788709768deea903092.jpg

'It's like a battle ruins here.' -> 'It's like battle ruins here.'

a4c33f9ba0e3911f7ac2ace5f88765f8.jpg

Replace 'atmosphere' with some other word.

acffe7bbedd22998100404953993b34d.jpg

'War being played' -> 'War is played'

2688de0ec6b47840a0661d114d18d2e8.jpg

Bad translation?

d407f0478303be685dd5645985e5b00f.jpg

'On the first play' -> 'During the first play'

bdeee5ed619cbf958c685a63e43fca95.jpg

'a robber' -> 'robbers'

8339c36e5f9dd5eb2d3af06e98ea5c44.jpg

'winning favorably' - Awkward translation.

9c05cf9813071ff10a463f6aaa213949.jpg

Untranslated sign.

f1d19e1b8318dfda3ae50a8f8a1f3b1f.jpg

'a calming air' - Awkward translation?

5cd5318ad5e68454e4958b813a82bda6.jpg

'from nearly anywhere' -> 'nearly any area'

4612a6ab76596c5d87cf49e11f69b427.jpg

'saw the group' -> 'saw a group'?

24cfc1d02a56246099837d01900c8b8c.jpg

'Cross' -> 'Break through'
'Attack' -> 'Defend' or 'Hold position'

2dbc27e970c66c36f7b17c0a25676437.jpg

'While continuing on their journey' -> 'While the knights continued on their journey'

a26bf04b8e59664d0f16dfc57ba612d3.jpg

Bad translation.

bac98d6fbb952eb1846f45b90809a232.jpg

'Hatchet' -> 'Cutter'? It is NOT an axe.

fd905d0fb34ddd5c56630b819a1759d1.jpg

'Herman Blade' -> 'Herman's Blade'

fd225937f160dd101900b266367cbf05.jpg

'Seven Sphere' -> 'Seventh Fear'?

d84543dac5ce177a2c5d0949ecb211ed.jpg

'Corsesca' -> 'Corseque' because its English spelling is based on French, not Italian.

d14678c61a9f5b3e0c80ee5e1d9d7c98.jpg

An error in the original game? Bourdonasse is a lance, not an axe-type weapon.

05b4e41f286cfc9e850c6cfbf07b5bd4.jpg

'Flame Spear' -> 'Flame Glaive'

bfb8ca3ad48419b004fdc16a5b55326f.jpg

'Dragon Spear' -> 'Dragon Lance' :)

d3d2984eeb4580e04d61e4eab39069a9.jpg

'Shortbow' -> 'Bow'? It is not smaller than other types of bows.

1d402e97f02db3b161b6fd454abcab5f.jpg

If you decide to implement 'Gun' -> 'Cannon' for handcannons, don't change the name of this weapon because it is NOT a handcannon.

4215293977dcc07520bc38852b900ca2.jpg

What is this? Apparently, its current spelling is a meaningless word in English. A poor attempt to write 'Double Crossbow' in Latin?

9dbd77aee9c436fab51ae6a4596f5e77.jpg

'Saintly Mace' -> 'Saintly Club'

e99a18b86698e5b80c06cf93ab28c4f6.jpg

Unnecessary hard linebreak in the text?

6385381621c3585f6562abd23e679497.jpg

Bad translation. Character combat performance and stats depend on the current month.

Offtopic question: Is high STR necessary for archers?

lzyslckr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mind just automatically fixes the error so I didn't catch the 'series a battles' -> 'series of battles' until it was shown. Good job catching them.

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't mean the whole category, just those guns that actually have 'Gun' in their names because they look like handcannons.
Suggestion noted. I'll go through those in question. "Handcannon" is kind of long though, so there may only be a few items that can fit that or even "Cannon" in their names.

IIRC, if you don't take the sword, everything is fine.
However, if you do take it, you have to fight a group of skeletons, and then the following text is displayed:
~'You leave the sword on the ground. It continues to glow faintly.'
~'The sword is cleansed now. I think we can take it.'
and you get a decent sword.
Hm...I'll have to keep an eye out for this event. Do you remember which area you were in when you encountered this event? As far as I can tell, some events only happen in specific places. My best guess would be Gallas.

'purchased' -> 'obtained' because buying is not the only way to get new items.
She means in war mode. In the single player mode, "War" mode is referred to as "the battlefield".

2688de0ec6b47840a0661d114d18d2e8.jpg

Bad translation?
Since War is dead, I'm not too worried about problematic translations. We did a quick translation of the war mode text because it is bundled into another file. I'll fix the ones you have mentioned in this post, since they're easy fixes. As far as this particular text, I believe they're saying something along the lines of "Deployed knights will act on their own, which will affect the war".

9c05cf9813071ff10a463f6aaa213949.jpg

Untranslated sign.
I was looking for where this text is stored in the game, but I have no idea where it is. I've scoured all the text I can think of, as well as all the images, but I can't find anything even close to it. I figured that since it only pops up during save operations, and you can kind of guess that it's something along the lines of "Saving...", then it wasn't something to hold up a patch release for.

'Hatchet' -> 'Cutter'? It is NOT an axe.
This was a mistranslation. The Japanese can be (and was) interpreted as "Ax of Giant". Looking at it more closely, it could also be "Machete of Giant". I changed it to "Giant Machete".

'Seven Sphere' -> 'Seventh Fear'?
I'm interested in how you got to this suggestion. Did you try and imagine how the Japanese would sound and come to that suggestion? The Japanese for this weapon is "Sebunsufia", which can be seen as either "Sebun-sufia" (Seven Sphere) or "Sebunsu-fia" (Seventh Fear). I take it you prefer "Seventh Fear"?

'Corsesca' -> 'Corseque' because its English spelling is based on French, not Italian.

An error in the original game? Bourdonasse is a lance, not an axe-type weapon.
You have an interesting knowledge in either weaponry or language (or both!). I've changed Corsesca to Corseque. The Japanese for "Bourdonasse" is "Burudonasu", which looks pretty straight-forward. A bourdonasse is still a polearm-type weapon, so I guess it's alright, even if the artist interpreted it more of axe.

'Shortbow' -> 'Bow'? It is not smaller than other types of bows.
The Japanese is literally short bow. *shrug*

What is this? Apparently, its current spelling is a meaningless word in English. A poor attempt to write 'Double Crossbow' in Latin?
There are two weapons that I can think of off the top of my head that gave us trouble in terms of translation. This is one of them. Its Japanese is "Akutouin", and my translator has no idea what it means. Spoken, it sounds like "Act win", but that doesn't sound like a (good) weapon name. Curiously, what would "double crossbow" in Latin be?

The other weapon was also a crossbow, I think. Its Japanese is "Aku-uaru". Again, my translator doesn't know what it could be.

For both of these, we went with "Actwain" and "Ackwall", simply because we didn't know what to change it to and didn't want to take too much creative freedom in giving them names.

Unnecessary hard linebreak in the text?
The problem with this event is that the man can ask for any food item. Because there are differences in the lengths of the food names, not all the foods will fit on the first line. The line breaks also have to be inserted before the food item is known, so I had to take the worst case food item as the potential length of the requested food. In that particular case then, everything should line up "normally". Of course, that means in all other cases, it will not line up, but at least everything will still fit in the text box.

There's a way to dynamically adjust the text so that it fits nicely, but the only way I can think of doing it would be doing it at run time, where you can actually figure out what food item he wants. In that situation, the fix would have to be an ASM fix, which wouldn't be crazy difficult, just not worth the time, in my opinion.

Bad translation. Character combat performance and stats depend on the current month.
She's actually referring to items like the corsages and some weapons that get a boost in attack during particular months. This was a mistranslation, since the character for "moon" shows up in the Japanese for "month" (and at the time, my translator nor I had played the game).

Offtopic question: Is high STR necessary for archers?
Good question. I haven't done any tests, but I don't think so. I think Atk. affects damage output and STR is only needed for equipping accessories with a STR requirement.

Also, just want to mention that I fix the other mistakes you catch that I don't quote. There's just nothing else that needs to be said for those mistakes. A lot of them have been caught and fixed, but I still appreciate you taking the time to point them out.

Al_Sleeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hm...I'll have to keep an eye out for this event. Do you remember which area you were in when you encountered this event? As far as I can tell, some events only happen in specific places. My best guess would be Gallas.
IIRC, it was either Sorestan or Ludarie - forested territory east of Avalon, somewhere near the middle of the respective map.

I'm interested in how you got to this suggestion. Did you try and imagine how the Japanese would sound and come to that suggestion? The Japanese for this weapon is "Sebunsufia", which can be seen as either "Sebun-sufia" (Seven Sphere) or "Sebunsu-fia" (Seventh Fear). I take it you prefer "Seventh Fear"?
https://translate.googleusercontent...7.html&usg=ALkJrhiEQuEfxAdHaQyZ9YeIHVb65thHlQ

The problem with this event is that the man can ask for any food item. Because there are differences in the lengths of the food names, not all the foods will fit on the first line. The line breaks also have to be inserted before the food item is known, so I had to take the worst case food item as the potential length of the requested food. In that particular case then, everything should line up "normally". Of course, that means in all other cases, it will not line up, but at least everything will still fit in the text box.
There's a way to dynamically adjust the text so that it fits nicely, but the only way I can think of doing it would be doing it at run time, where you can actually figure out what food item he wants. In that situation, the fix would have to be an ASM fix, which wouldn't be crazy difficult, just not worth the time, in my opinion.
OK, scrap that.

Regarding holy stones: originally stones of each level had unique names, therefore translating them all as '##### Jewel' is not a good idea.

fc85758955b7098229e13f3769fbf141.jpg

'on the cliff top' -> 'on a cliff top'?

'Actwain' -> 'Ark Twain' :)?

cedb55875ea6e4c17a9906aa42cee4b4.jpg

'for the missing merchant' -> 'for a missing merchant'

5f5abe41eb065c82c6df97754e06a371.jpg

'the cry of a beast' -> 'a cry of a beast'

235eb8eb70d38a52485af99bd76b812e.jpg

Again, 'is' -> 'are' due to the nature of default group name.

1f96dfe21327f62aafcb4c9200054d18.jpg

'towards destination' -> 'towards the destination'
'something' -> 'somebody'

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, it was either Sorestan or Ludarie - forested territory east of Avalon, somewhere near the middle of the respective map.
Alright, I'll keep this event in mind. If anyone else encounters this event, please take screenshots or note the dialog that occurs, line by line.

Interesting link. Thanks for that. I did look for a Japanese wiki a while ago, the one that was used by people when GKH was still being played is no longer around.

Regarding holy stones: originally stones of each level had unique names, therefore translating them all as '##### Jewel' is not a good idea.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you referring to how some stones/jewels are better than others, resulting in a kind of tier system? There are variations in the Japanese names for the jewels, but they can all be translated as the same "stone" or "jewel". Character length is a limit, so we had to be mindful of that. I prefer "holy stone" myself, but it won't fit with many of the jewel names. Thinking about it now, "stone" might work instead of jewel.

That also reminds me that there could be strange spacing problems when trading with Houst, since he also chooses a random jewel in your inventory to trade for a random stone of his. Like the food man, I had to use the worst case. Since there are two events where this off-spacing can occur, I might reconsider looking at the dynamic spacing for these events.

'Actwain' -> 'Ark Twain' :)?
My translator is going to see if she can find anyone who knows what this and "acwall" are supposed to be.

Again, 'is' -> 'are' due to the nature of default group name.
Since it's a singular group, should it be a singular verb? I was under the impression that you give your knights a group name, so even if the default is something like "Avalon Knights", that's the name of your one group, even though Knights is plural. Does that sound right? Like if we were talking about a music group, I would say "Queen is here" rather than "Queen are here".

Al_Sleeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Interesting link. Thanks for that. I did look for a Japanese wiki a while ago, the one that was used by people when GKH was still being played is no longer around.
I know at least two other sites in Japanese dedicated to GKH:
http://wiki.mmo-station.com/msData/list/gkh/11792
https://web.archive.org/web/20130821052211/http://fate-wiki.com/g-knight/ivent2.html

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you referring to how some stones/jewels are better than others, resulting in a kind of tier system? There are variations in the Japanese names for the jewels, but they can all be translated as the same "stone" or "jewel". Character length is a limit, so we had to be mindful of that. I prefer "holy stone" myself, but it won't fit with many of the jewel names. Thinking about it now, "stone" might work instead of jewel.
All levels of holy stones are listed in the wiki:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www50.atwiki.jp/grandknightshistory/pages/13.html&edit-text=

That also reminds me that there could be strange spacing problems when trading with Houst, since he also chooses a random jewel in your inventory to trade for a random stone of his. Like the food man, I had to use the worst case. Since there are two events where this off-spacing can occur, I might reconsider looking at the dynamic spacing for these events.
I have not noticed any problems with text spacing for Houst.

Since it's a singular group, should it be a singular verb? I was under the impression that you give your knights a group name, so even if the default is something like "Avalon Knights", that's the name of your one group, even though Knights is plural. Does that sound right? Like if we were talking about a music group, I would say "Queen is here" rather than "Queen are here".
'Avalon Knights is here.' sounds strange.

b87ed96a8e1820af2afe0cd06eaf1ed1.jpg

All pre-battle quotes in War mode need line breaks.

11e742a0d06367d4b92dd10cb22c9113.jpg

'(Next # battle)' -> '(Next #. battle)'
I know, it's a German convention, but it will be useful in this case.
If you don't like it, consider using '(Next battle #NN)' instead.

c663c97f4e80a0cc4b2303fccd2c3832.jpg

What is it? I doubt it has anything to do with the appropriate Buddhist sect.

0531cad22fdc75abadcc5b8f4605aa5a.jpg

IIRC, in this random encounter you get only one holy stone, therefore 'holy stones' in its description have to be replaced with 'holy stone'.

Saek

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm was just going to register to say thank you so much justfruit for this patch and Al_Sleeper for helping with varius fixes so i can finally enjoy this since i think as many here, i love the art use in every vanillaware games

So for the moment i think there is a mistake here, but since english is not my native maybe i'm wrong still here is the pic

4iBfKud.png

Shouldn't it be Instead of Bush be Bushes? and for feedback instead of stolen items how about like stolen cargo or maybe even goods

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original post has been updated with a 1.13 version. A large majority of the text has been changed. I know of three testers who have gone through the game, each under a different kingdom, so I feel pretty confident that a lot of the text is near final. I plan to release one final patch with the variable-width fixes in certain areas, then that should wrap it up.

Big thanks to Al_Sleeper for being a great tester, as well as everyone else whose made contributions.

I went through and changed the stones after reviewing the names. I changed the category "Jewel" to "Stone" and used "holy stone" in text where it would fit. The item names progress from Stone > Jewel ("Light stone" is too long) > Augite > Holy Stone. I'm sure the Holy Stone items will be too long, but I haven't encountered any in-game to see if that's the case. I believe you can only get them in War, so I don't know if it's something that needs to be fixed.

All pre-battle quotes in War mode need line breaks.
This is a known issue. The problem is that the line breaks conflict with the quotes when displayed on a character's Profile page. Since you only see these quotes in War mode, this problem is on the back-burner.

'(Next # battle)' -> '(Next #. battle)'
I know, it's a German convention, but it will be useful in this case.
If you don't like it, consider using '(Next battle #NN)' instead.
Fixed the latest patch. I think I went with "Next: Battle #x".

What is it? I doubt it has anything to do with the appropriate Buddhist sect.
Double-checked the translation and it does seem off. I'll check with my translator.

IIRC, in this random encounter you get only one holy stone, therefore 'holy stones' in its description have to be replaced with 'holy stone'.
This wasn't caught in the latest release, but it's a minor correction. Fixed now, but won't show up until the latest patch.

Shouldn't it be Instead of Bush be Bushes? and for feedback instead of stolen items how about like stolen cargo or maybe even goods
You are correct - it should be bushes. I actually thing I was going for "brush" here, and the "bush" was a typo. I like your cargo suggestion too, so that's in the latest patch.

Al_Sleeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I believe you can only get them in War, so I don't know if it's something that needs to be fixed.
It's not true. You can easily get them in Solo mode from Houst. IIRC, I even managed to get 3 Monarch Holy Stones from him, and they are supposedly the best holy stones in the game by the number of stat plusses.

940fe663bd6c91e5f8357f093c2066de.jpg

e763f678eadbe07c85d8125e3b996f88.jpg

e6254741ff7f9b30a63708cfc8e9c9af.jpg

Unless space is an issue, change numbers to words in quest descriptions.

33527a960d52a4e213d742a2a54fce42.jpg

'In the name' -> 'By the name'?

f66b081347feb17c769470009f4c7420.jpg

'drinking the water' -> 'drinking water'?

7293f6932f0dc45cd29c879b634cd58e.jpg

Once again, 'has found' -> 'have found'

85a2d6f25aa5d1f20285b57dcbcd35c6.jpg

'resumed their journey' -> 'resumed the journey'?

Are there random encounters with merchants in offline War mode like in Solo mode? I will be busy till Friday, and as a result I have not been able to test War mode extensively.

Belmondo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's not true. You can easily get them in Solo mode from Houst. IIRC, I even managed to get 3 Monarch Holy Stones from him, and they are supposedly the best holy stones in the game by the number of stat plusses.

If Slayers is the name of a person then the current text is correct. If it is a group of people then "have" would be better suited.

In regards to all the other suggestions you posted the in game text looks correct on all of them.

DrROBschiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to say how happy I am to have found this!!!

AMAZING!

Now if there was only a way to play ad-hoc or online.... >.<

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a screenshot of the Monarch Stone in the item list? I'll have to visit Houst more often...only went to him once or twice to make sure the text was OK.

Are there random encounters with merchants in offline War mode like in Solo mode? I will be busy till Friday, and as a result I have not been able to test War mode extensively.
There are no such random encounters in War. In all honesty, I wouldn't bother extensively testing War mode. It's extremely straight-forward now that the servers are dead.

It's the group name, and its default name 'Avalon Knights'.
The actual default name is "AvalonKn", "UnionKni", or "LogresKn", since it can only be up to 8 characters. I don't think this grammar problem can be "solved". Since it is a group name, you can choose to add an 's' or not at the end of the group name and one of the two will sound strange. Using your group name as an example, if it were just "Slayer", then I believe "You cannot run now that Slayer has found you" is correct. If you used "Slayers", then it should be "You cannot run now that Slayers have found you".

The logic I used was that since it is one group, singular tense is used.

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone names their groups with a singular name (Queen, Team Rocket, SOLDIER, etc.), it'll sound strange if you treat it as a plural noun, such as "Queen are here."
But if someone names their groups with a plural name, or something that is treated as plural (Beatles, GUARDIANS, MPAA), it'd be weird to say "Beatles is here."

Or maybe not necessarily. Apparently with most collective nouns the verb is singular in American English, but can go either way in British English. All while there are some that are used only with plural verbs for both. I think if you're going to choose one or the other, you should choose the plural one to be correct in some variation of English.

This reminds me of Dragon Quest, which says "The enemy are defeated" at the end of random battles.
20140522200728dec.jpeg

If you're not willing to do something like that, how about add some word before it?
For example, you could probably say both "A squad of Queen is here" and "A squad of The Beatles is here", or "Members of Queen are here" and "Members of The Beatles are here."
...But that would require plural names to add a "the" at the beginning of the name.

Maybe putting a word after it might work?
"Some Queen lackeys are here,"/"Some Beatles lackeys are here,"
"Looks like the Slayers group is conducting the defense,"/"Looks like the Slayer group is conducting the defense"
"You can't run from Team Rocket Elites"/"You can't run from Guardians Elites"

SkyBladeCloud

Trophies
XP
Country
justfuit

Hey there:

I received your PM, I can hardly answer them all, but I'll try to do this one xD.
About what yo want to do: not all characters in the font are variable width, this reminds me of Policenauts, where Latin characters had variable width, and Japanese ones always had the same. Here we have a similar case:
The game engine supports variable width for 158 characters, the rest (which should always be thick Kanjis, though I haven't checked) are always the same width.

For Latin characters, the width is transformed to floating point texture coordinated when rendering the image, which is quite confusing, since in most game it's just added to the last character's coordinate; So it's almost impossible to figure it out tracing asm code (at least IMO, it's very easy to understand integer data, but floating point data uses the VFPU, which has its very own instruction set and it's not that intuitive). The other option is to change the width data before it's converted to floating point.

Here are a pair of examples; normally one would edit the font (to make characters slimmer), and then go width by width reducing it, so it takes less space in the text window. In my case I haven't edited the font (these were just tests ;))

Original width:

4lm24i.png

All characters taking 8 pixels each:

2qns0ft.png

All characters taking 18 pixels each (Japanese style FTW, LOL XD):

2chkwas.png

Anyway, I still need to check some stuff out, to see what's the best option to edit this.

Edit: Hum... Let me guess... The font used in that equip menu is exactly the same, even though it looks different in the item list (stretched); I haven't checked the menu but that must be why the game uses floating point for character texture coordinates: this way a single font can be stretched to look different without causing glitches.

Regards:

~Sky

Lyan53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

I also worked on this game there's some time but I haven't found japanese/french translators, so I stopped.
I precise I'm not a programmer or I have no knowledge of ASM.

I don't know what you want to do, but I noticed on this screenshot you don't use the properties of text tags:
166ysfa.jpg

Some tags are used to treat various things about the text, such as size, character spacing, and line spacing.

For exemple, with CutIn.fms text file, you can reduce font size and line spacing for obtain this result:
140427111700862649.png

For that, I just placed "@s(0.85)@y(-1)" before the text.

There are many tags you can use:
@s(value) = for text size
@y(value) = for line spacing
@x(value) = for chars spacing

At the time, I found other properties, but I lost my notes and I don't remember all :/
Maybe with the "size tag" when you use @s(value,value,value) you can adapt ratio on width, height and size for the text, but I'm not sure. :)

---EDIT---

Warning: In my post I used the japanese because the same Latin character prevented me from posting on the forum (javascript error), but inside tags, it's the Latin @ is used

justfuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if you're going to choose one or the other, you should choose the plural one to be correct in some variation of English.
Thank you for your input and suggestion. Going with the plural makes sense to me, although I'll have to go through and make sure there are no character limit spacing issues.

For Latin characters, the width is transformed to floating point texture coordinated when rendering the image, which is quite confusing, since in most game it's just added to the last character's coordinate; So it's almost impossible to figure it out tracing asm code (at least IMO, it's very easy to understand integer data, but floating point data uses the VFPU, which has its very own instruction set and it's not that intuitive). The other option is to change the width data before it's converted to floating point.

Edit: Hum... Let me guess... The font used in that equip menu is exactly the same, even though it looks different in the item list (stretched); I haven't checked the menu but that must be why the game uses floating point for character texture coordinates: this way a single font can be stretched to look different without causing glitches
First off, thank you for taking the time to look at this. I believe you're correct with the idea of a rendering transformation from the font file to a texture. There is only one font file (with Latin characters), and since there are places where the characters are thinner and places where they are wider, it supports the idea that there is some transforming going on. I'm glad you brought this up because it reminded me of some debugging steps I was going through when I was looking at this long ago.

While experimenting with the GE debugger, I found the different vertices used for the thinner versus wider font. In the status screen, you can see the titles in the window uses a squished text, but the entries in themselves use the wider spacing.
2mfhcsj.jpg

1532v4j.jpg

The screen these are from for reference:
if0bqo.jpg

I was able to edit the vertex data for each character primitive in VRAM, but this was after the data was copied from RAM to VRAM, so I was a step too late. Trying to figure out what execution address wrote to the particular spot in VRAM was impossible, since the VRAM data moved around each frame.

From the screenshot where you edited the font to be allowed 8 pixels, it looks like the 8 pixel-limit is just the spacing for each character and not the actual dimensions of the texture itself (ie. [x, y] positions rather than [w, h] dimensions). May I ask how you modified this spacing?

For that, I just placed "@s(0.85)@y(-1)" before the text.

There are many tags you can use:
@s(value) = for text size
@y(value) = for line spacing
@x(value) = for chars spacing

At the time, I found other properties, but I lost my notes and I don't remember all :/
Maybe with the "size tag" when you use @s(value,value,value) you can adapt ratio on width, height and size for the text, but I'm not sure.
"Holy crap, it's Lyan!" - that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post. When I first started this project and did the research, I stumbled on your post (in French) about this game and studied the sub-par Google translation of it. Despite the half-gibberish, I still learned quite a bit, so I thank you for that.

In addition, this information looks extremely useful! I had no idea you could do this. The credits file uses a format similar to this, but I didn't know this is what it did. That's amazing, and a big help.

Huge thanks to both of you guys. I have some playing around to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning