Android Got a Nexus 7 - Need help with a few things

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, got it for Christmas, much to my great shock and joy, and naturally, I'm looking to get the best possibly battery life that I can. The battery time is, on average, rated at 3950 mAh or roughly 9 hours, depending greatly on what it is I'm doing, helluva lot better than my low-end phone :P Anyways, this is a gift (and an expensive one no doubt), so, rooting it is an absolute last resort, I don't think I can trust myself enough to do it without screwing something up, so I've a few question I wish to ask ^_^

1 - Now, there is a Wii remote app, and that would make emulators far easier to use than using the touchscreen controls because let's be honest, some games get cumbersome really fast using the OSD controls, I just...can't get used to it at all. With the Wii controller (like the classic controller), are there easy ways to sync them with the phone without it being a hassle, or would those MOGA pro controllers be better?

2 - Battery life, what can I do, short of rooting it, to save power? Lowering the brightness instead of keeping it on Auto, disabling WiFi when I'm not using it? Things like that or lowering the CPU priority of the emulator when running?

3 - And last but now least, from my tests, emulators finally run at a smooth 60 Hz, no skipping, no audio stuttering, emulators run as smooth as butter, but, is there any way to know how long I can run emulators on this kind of battery? I don't know, my major concern is many tablets, like this one, have non-removable batteries, I don't know how many charges this one can have, you know? Anyways, thanks for your feedback :P

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough, Nexus devices are damn near impossible to irrecoverably softbrick, you'd have to mess up the bootloader which is fairly difficult to do. If there's any device that you would want to try rooting virtually risk free this would actually be it lol.

That said, only battery life help I can say is Greenify, which has a root and non-root mode. Root one works best. It puts background apps that like to stay ruthlessly awake (like Facebook) to sleep. You wouldn't get FB notifications anymore but boy oh boy does it tend to help.

Outside of Greenify I just let my phones/tablets do phone/tablet things.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough, Nexus devices are damn near impossible to irrecoverably softbrick, you'd have to mess up the bootloader which is fairly difficult to do. If there's any device that you would want to try rooting virtually risk free this would actually be it lol.

That said, only battery life help I can say is Greenify, which has a root and non-root mode. Root one works best. It puts background apps that like to stay ruthlessly awake (like Facebook) to sleep. You wouldn't get FB notifications anymore but boy oh boy does it tend to help.

Outside of Greenify I just let my phones/tablets do phone/tablet things.

Okay, so I did some Googling, and disabled WiFi scanning, which is really annoying as it searches for WiFi even when not connected, that's been turned off. Disabled GPS, Google Sync, BlueTooth (well, until I can find a decent controller, shouldn't be that much of a drain). FB isn't installed on my tablet, but on a plus side, this thing is more than powerful enough for emulators, and the HD IPS screen is really nice to look at :P Emulators finally run at 60 fps and 60 Hz, unlike my phone. My older bro gave me this for Christmas. Rooting this, well, it is tempting to remove the bloatware, like Google Drive, which I really don't need. How would one go about safely rooting a Nexus 7? Would I also be able to remove any traces of said root should I ever need to service it (i.e replacing the battery)? Sorry for the noobish questions, Android OS is still new to me.

So for emulation, watching videos, music, it's absolutely a nerd's dream come true, I just need a good BT controller for emulators, in Android 4.2+ Wii controllers cannot be synced. It's like, there's so much I want to ask about saving battery power when using BT, emulators, watching videos, and yet, rooting it makes me nervous for three reasons:

1 - It voids the warranty and leaves traces, I think
2 - These devices are pretty bloody expensive, I hate to think how much he spent
3 - Don't want bad luck

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A program will do everything for you
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Oh! And the thing is, is this safe to do? Not that I don't trust you guys, that's not it at all, what are some of the things I can do with a rooted device? Obviously, there are things I don't do, like delete vital apps (Google Play), or screw with the CPU frequency, no need to, the emulators run as smooth as butter. But I assume there are apps I can safely remove? Sorry for the numerous questions, I want to make sure that I do this right.

I don't know if I'm using the 2012 or 2013 model.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just root and unlock the bootloader, then install Mahdi ROM with Franco's kernel. That should give you great battery life! For a custom recovery I would suggest twrp.

Uh, I haven't heard of those custom ROMs, are they safe enough to use, are these reversible should I ever need to remove traces of it being rooted? Forums for those custom ROMs/kernels and how to install them? I really am a noob with Android, installing custom firmware, rooting, etc. it's sad. I know. I don't know what I'm doing to be honest....damn....

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://fs04.androidpit.info/userfiles/2732026/image/new-nexus-7-test-4.JPG

2012 is the left, 2013 is the right (I have the 2012)

So as with everything ever, making unauthorized modifications ALWAYS carries a risk of damaging something. In this case though that risk is negligible lol. Just make sure your battery is charged a fair bit in case it loses connection with the computer, that's really the only thing you'd need to watch out for.

What can you do? Anything and everything, if you or someone else can figure out a way how to do it. Greenify, like I mentioned. Titanium Backup lets you uninstall or freeze (disable) any app you want, which I usually freeze a good handful of the stock Google Apps (like Newsstand, News & Weather, and some other shit). Xposed Framework lets other programs hook into it, those other programs offering a disgusting wealth of customization if you're on anything before Android 5.0 (Lollipop, which is incompatible with Xposed for the time being).

However you might consider upgrading to Lollipop too. If it's the 2013 I think you should get an OTA update for it at some point. The 2012 didn't get an OTA afaik so that would need a custom rom.

A lot of those programs to use game controllers on an Android device will require root.

Mahdi ROM is a good rom, I've used it for quite a while. Yeah it's all reversible you would just reinstall the stock image if you didn't like it which will take it completely back to stock. That's also super easy to do.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://fs04.androidpit.info/userfiles/2732026/image/new-nexus-7-test-4.JPG

2012 is the left, 2013 is the right (I have the 2012)

So as with everything ever, making unauthorized modifications ALWAYS carries a risk of damaging something. In this case though that risk is negligible lol. Just make sure your battery is charged a fair bit in case it loses connection with the computer, that's really the only thing you'd need to watch out for.

What can you do? Anything and everything, if you or someone else can figure out a way how to do it. Greenify, like I mentioned. Titanium Backup lets you uninstall or freeze (disable) any app you want, which I usually freeze a good handful of the stock Google Apps (like Newsstand, News & Weather, and some other shit). Xposed Framework lets other programs hook into it, those other programs offering a disgusting wealth of customization if you're on anything before Android 5.0 (Lollipop, which is incompatible with Xposed for the time being).

However you might consider upgrading to Lollipop too. If it's the 2013 I think you should get an OTA update for it at some point. The 2012 didn't get an OTA afaik so that would need a custom rom.

A lot of those programs to use game controllers on an Android device will require root.

It's the 2012 model after all, updated to 4.4.3, but I could have sworn that Lollipop ruined the emulator apps (Snes.emu, My Boy!, Snes9x EX+, etc)? Or is that a rumor that 5.0 ruins certain apps? See, I don't want that to happen, but yeah, it's the 2012 model like yours. Can the root be uninstalled to remove all traces? I don't feel comfortable using a custom ROM to be honest, it sounds even riskier, and I apologize for my pusillanimity regarding this, I would think simply running the root installer would be enough for me to start off with, don't want to overwhelm myself, you know? I just heard the rumor that 5.0 breaks all the emulator apps on the Play Store.

Even the MOGA pro controllers? AFAIK, they don't need rooting, I don't think. Wii remote doesn't work in 4.2+ since something is broken, don't have PS3 controllers.

Edit: Titanium Backup (Free) cannot freeze apps apparently

Kurth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you ever want to go back to stock; nrt has a button for that too (best program ever)! Theoretically, if you do that and re-lock the bootloader, *should* leave no traces; but don't quote me on that.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you ever want to go back to stock; nrt has a button for that too (best program ever)! Theoretically, if you do that and re-lock the bootloader, *should* leave no traces; but don't quote me on that.

Still on the fence about rooting, but I feel more comfortable with that than with a custom ROM. Wonder how well the MOGA or Shield controller work.

Kurth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, for most things a custom ROM isn't really necessary; if you have root (but not lollipop), you can change most anything using the xposed framework.

Those controllers should work fine; most emulators are compatible with Bluetooth controllers.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, root can be completely removed. The OS can even be reinstalled to 100% the factory Google image if you ever wanted to. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images Even though the 2012 is the "grouper" model apparently it uses the "nakasi" image now?

No idea if it ruins emulators. I haven't run any emulators on my phone yet. The CapitalOne app is incompatible with it still and the LifeTrak one WAS but seems to work (partially?) now. That's all I'm personally aware of.

Custom rom is easy but I get being uncomfortable with it. Frankly if you just root and then install Xposed and some of the modules that are available there's not a ton to be gained by going to a custom rom.

Also haven't run any controllers on my phone or tablet in ages lol. Sorry I'm not being very helpful now :P

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, for most things a custom ROM isn't really necessary; if you have root (but not lollipop), you can change most anything using the xposed framework.

Yeah, I heard Lollipop ruins emulator apps (as in, preventing them from loading at all), perhaps it's a rumor as I've heard otherwise from other members, but I don't need to be on 5.0 really, I see no point. Greenify would be nice to have, as would Titanium Backup, which can force-stop apps, well, the pro version anyway. Any recommendations for controllers? The MOGA hero/pro? Sixaxis with an OTG cable? Wii remotes have been broken on 4.2+.

Yes, root can be completely removed. The OS can even be reinstalled to 100% the factory Google image if you ever wanted to. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/imagesEven though the 2012 is the "grouper" model apparently it uses the "nakasi" image now?

No idea if it ruins emulators. I haven't run any emulators on my phone yet. The CapitalOne app is incompatible with it still and the LifeTrak one WAS but seems to work (partially?) now. That's all I'm personally aware of.

Custom rom is easy but I get being uncomfortable with it. Frankly if you just root and then install Xposed and some of the modules that are available there's not a ton to be gained by going to a custom rom.

Also haven't run any controllers on my phone or tablet in ages lol. Sorry I'm not being very helpful now :P

Oh, it's okay, man :P I'm glad people are replying to my thread at all, I thought it had entered oblivion lol :D Having said that, that's the rumor I heard, until someone can confirm that emulator apps are okay, no way I'm moving to version 5.0 ^_^ Too risky lol. The MOGA uses Bluetooth and has an app on the Play Store for it, no root required AFAIK. What would Xposed do though?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a simple controller I've been very happy with the FC30. Not a whole lot going on to it so it's only going to be good for classic games but that's most of what I'd be playing on my phone anyway.

Isn't it an issue with Snes or N64 emulators though? PSP would be a pain, as would PSX, which runs quite well from what I've seen. I dunno, I wonder if the Shield controller would work since it's Bluetooth.

Kurth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the Shield controller uses WiFi direct actually; from a quick search, it seems that only the Shield tablet and Shield portable work with it. Sadly beyond borrowing a friend's sixaxis once I've never used a controller with my Nexus 7 (2013) so I can't recommend a different one.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the Shield controller uses WiFi direct actually; from a quick search, it seems that only the Shield tablet and Shield portable work with it. Sadly beyond borrowing a friend's sixaxis once I've never used a controller with my Nexus 7 (2013) so I can't recommend a different one.

I know the Sixaxis works, they're just too pricey IMHO, then there's the MOGA line of controllers, which seem to have good reviews. There has to be a controller out there. I love the device, a lot, it's powerful and awesome, I need to avoid touch controls.

Edit: I see new PS3 controllers on eBay

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still on the fence about rooting.

Hey dude, I've been tinkering with Android since the g1 (first android phone) and here's what I've learned, you don't need to do a custom ROM, I do, but only for the purpose of having a clean slate, however I would root, you do get a large amount of tweaks with xposed which will suffice for most, personally I don't use xposed because I like my phone to run in art mode, instead of the default dalvik, the benefit to this is alot better battery life (I get an extra 30% battery) as well as apps load faster. Art isn't compatible with xposed, hence my decision to use a custom ROM for my tweaks.

Rooting will allow you to mess with certain things, like getting rid of apps or Greenify as others have mentioned on top of this it adds extras to stuff like clean master and gives you access to better battery stats app, which is useful if you have battery drain, can be used to identify exactly what part of Android is causing the drain

One thing I would recommend if you're feeling confident is a custom recovery like twrp, this will allow you to make a backup of your entire phone/tablet so if anything did go wrong while tinkering you can just restore the backup and everything's ok again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7

The link is for xda, which is basically the go to forums for anything android, they host custom roms, help with technical problems or add apps which wouldn't be available normally (such as lollipop version of apps tweaked to run on kitkat). This is my go to place whenever I have an issue.

Lastly, whatever you do to your tablet it can almost always be fixed, as someone pointed out above just install a stock ROM, this will restore your warranty and fix any issues if you truly screw up. Whatever you do, good luck

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put cyanogenmod on it, only way to brick it is to do it on purpose. (I semi bricked mine two times now) It lasts all day for me, but I recommend getting a QI charger, the usb port WILL fail.

What the deuce is a QI charger, what do you mean? What's Cyanogenmod? What do you mean the USB port will fail? And I don't think a QI charger would even work with a 2012 Nexus 7, maybe a 2013 model.

Hey dude, I've been tinkering with Android since the g1 (first android phone) and here's what I've learned, you don't need to do a custom ROM, I do, but only for the purpose of having a clean slate, however I would root, you do get a large amount of tweaks with xposed which will suffice for most, personally I don't use xposed because I like my phone to run in art mode, instead of the default dalvik, the benefit to this is alot better battery life (I get an extra 30% battery) as well as apps load faster. Art isn't compatible with xposed, hence my decision to use a custom ROM for my tweaks.

Rooting will allow you to mess with certain things, like getting rid of apps or Greenify as others have mentioned on top of this it adds extras to stuff like clean master and gives you access to better battery stats app.

One thing I would recommend if you're feeling confident is a custom recovery like twrp, this will allow you to make a backup of your entire phone/tablet so if anything did go wrong while tinkering you can just restore the backup and everything's ok again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7

The link is for xda, which is basically the go to forums for anything android, they host custom roms, help with technical problems or add apps which wouldn't be available normally (such as lollipop version of apps tweaked to run on kitkat). This is my go to place whenever I have an issue.

Lastly, whatever you do to your tablet it can almost always be fixed, as someone pointed out above just install a stock ROM, this will restore your warranty and fix any issues if you truly screw up. Whatever you do, good luck

Is this the TWRP thing you were talking about earlier? http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/103 I assume it is, so it's on the Google Play store? Weird lol. Anyways, my only reason I'm concerned is one, this is Christmas gift, and two, these are bloody expensive, I don't want to know how much he spent for a new one of these, that's why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: