Hardware got a hard drive with existing windows install

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got what i need to get this hard drive to work it has an existing install of windows 7 ultimate

It was from an HP laptop

i have it plugged into my asus laptop right now with windows 10

can i just go into the BIOS of my laptop and change the boot drive and everything will be fine or will drivers and motherboards be a problem if so how can i boot off of this drive with out messing my host machine or anything else up also it would be nice if people were nice in thier answers becuase people in my last post were really nasty

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do get your Win7 HDD to boot, it may still boot, or may not. It is possible for it to BSOD due to lack of necessary drivers especially moving from HP to ASUS. The second worst thing it could happen is driver or interrupt resource conflict.
Does your BIOS has a BBS menu? You should be able to select the WIN7 HDD from that menu, provided if the HDD is already bootable.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do get your Win7 HDD to boot, it may still boot, or may not. It is possible for it to BSOD due to lack of necessary drivers especially moving from HP to ASUS. The second worst thing it could happen is driver or interrupt resource conflict.
Does your BIOS has a BBS menu? You should be able to select the WIN7 HDD from that menu, provided if the HDD is already bootable.
it was bootable last i checked i dont this my bios has the bbs menu ill check

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it was bootable last i checked i dont this my bios has the bbs menu ill check
no i dont have bbs

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    579 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 177

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might work. I was able to swap hard drives between two laptiops with different make and cpu brands and it went all hunky-dory, but they were both running Windows 10. I'd first ask if you know about EFI, MBR, and Microsoft Secure Boot, and which features the HDD needs and what needs to be enabled on your laptop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.