Gaming Good Rhythm Games?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stepmania's pretty fun regardless of whether you own a dance pad or not. You can get song packs designed for keyboard players.

And yeah, +1 vote for Osu.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in addition to the above mentioned audiosurf and beat hazard
each of those creates unique levels from music files, essentially gameplay powered by your music

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much anything Bemani. Most popular would be DDR, but games like beatmaniaIIDX, Reflec Beat, jubeat, pop'n music, Sound Voltex, etc are all wonderful options if you're looking to get into more hardcore stuff. Reflec Beat and jubeat have iOS versions, and the others all have simulators of some type available.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Rhythm Heaven on the DS.

Anyway, was I the only one disappointed about not hearing "Whoa, Black Betty bam-ba-lam"?

f3ar000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check out "Crypt of the Necrodancer" (ITS IN EARLY ACCESS BE FORWARNED)
My personal favorite trailer:

early access trailer:

Currently has 3/4 zones completed and they seem to be adding new characters and items and misc functionality, I'd say its worth it for the 3 current zones, music is by Danny Baronowski, the guy who did the sountracks for Super Meat Boy/The Binding of Isaac
available:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/
It works fairly well with a usb (foam) dancepad I ordered.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pretty much anything Bemani. Most popular would be DDR, but games like beatmaniaIIDX, Reflec Beat, jubeat, pop'n music, Sound Voltex, etc are all wonderful options if you're looking to get into more hardcore stuff. Reflec Beat and jubeat have iOS versions, and the others all have simulators of some type available.

Play 2DX, can confirm. The game I linked (Lunatic Rave) is actually the most common IIDX simulator.

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to play a lot of rhythm games.
Pump It Up, Stepmania, Ez2DJ, DJMax Trilogy in PC and the portable ones in PSP if you need some info to get one of this games feel free to PM me.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
On computer, I know only OSU and Stepmania.

if you have consoles, you can check
DS:
Maestro jump in music
Rhythm heaven
Osu 1 (didn't like the second one and American version, but you can test them)
Daigasso Band Bothers

And things I never played
Taiko no tatsujin
Utacchi
Guitar hero etc.

3DS:
Theathrythm series (FF/Curtain call/and DQ soon)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Osu is the best rhythm game on PC.

Guitar Hero 3 is also great, though playing with a controller can be quite difficult, but I have beat it on Expert using only a controller.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
While not EXACTLY a rhythm game, I recommend One finger death punch. It certainly has an insane amount of flow going for it.

Recently played kickbeat. Very decent one...sort of "guitar hero meets street fighter".

the bit.trip series are...minimalistic. But at the very least runner 2 is awesome (haven't played the other ones really through to that "zone" level).

Symphony and audio surf use your own music. They work...but I never really got 'into' them.

I've been hearing that rocksmith is the best way to actually learn to play a real guitar, but since my budget doesn't allow to actually go out and buy said real guitar*, I can't comment.

*if someone knows a site where I can download one, lemme know. ;)

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
the bit.trip series are...minimalistic. But at the very least runner 2 is awesome (haven't played the other ones really through to that "zone" level).

Bit.trip series isn't exactly rhythm games IMO. There just happens to be rhythm in what you are doing and you have to do things before that rhythm comes.
I have bit problem with those games as they are locked to 60 FPS and I have 144Hz monitor, so because everything is moving fast steady pace everything starts to seem double giving me headache. I can still play them with my plasma, but usually I just can't be bothered so I forgot those games.

Seriously love it, though it's a bit hard. :P

When I first started that game I had laptop and wireless mouse and still wondered what was wrong. Now that I have laser gaming mouse and high refresh rate monitor that game became piece of cake and I nailed even harder songs I couldn't earlier :)
Just keep vsync off in-game, keep mouse speed relatively high and use keyboard for hitting instead of mouse buttons and it starts to play more naturally.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bit.trip series isn't exactly rhythm games IMO. There just happens to be rhythm in what you are doing and you have to do things before that rhythm comes.

Erm...yes. And since that 'before that rythm comes' during the game lowers to the point where it's almost zero, it is pretty much by definition a rhythm game.

Here's a random gameplay video of bit.trip runner 2:

You seriously aren't going to deny this is exactly the sort of gameplay like the music levels of Rayman legends offers, right? :unsure:

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm