Good Operating System for a Very Shitty Laptop?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hiya!

So I have in my possession a Acer Aspire One, that has really bad specs, running Windows 7, as shown below:

upload_2017-7-2_0-3-37.png

I wanted to ask you people if you could recommend me a good OS that will at least be functional on this machine? As long as web browsing and very lightweight work could be done on it, I will be happy :P

Thanks in advance :grog:

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If it can run 64Bit, Solus Linux
If only 32Bit, Linux Mint XFCE
Hmmm, I have no idea if this machine supports 64 bits. Only one way to know: testing!

I will go look further tomorrow or Monday night, but these options will be taken in consideration :yay:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmmm, I have no idea if this machine supports 64 bits. Only one way to know: testing!

I will go look further tomorrow or Monday night, but these options will be taken in consideration :yay:
If those don't tickle your fancy, then here's some lovely list of distros to test
Netbook
Old Computers
If I can't find an OS, I spam test EVERYTHING until I find one I like and works the best.
Even though those specs are enough for Windows, I honestly suggest Linux for something lighter. Not because Linux > Windows, but to get the most out of those low resources.

Last edited by The Catboy,

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If those don't tickle your fancy, then here's some lovely list of distros to test
Netbook
Old Computers
If I can't find an OS, I spam test EVERYTHING until I find one I like and works the best.
That would be fun to try stuff! I have nothing to lose, really. This minuscule laptop has no purpose at all.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That would be fun to try stuff! I have nothing to lose, really. This minuscule laptop has no purpose at all.
If you really want something fun to test, give FreeBSD a test.

(Lilith secret freeBSD >>> Linux)

Reactions: Gray_Jack

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If you really want something fun to test, give FreeBSD a test.

(Lilith secret freeBSD >>> Linux)
What "distro", based on FreeBSD, would you recommend? I'm open to any option, really :P

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What "distro", based on FreeBSD, would you recommend? I'm open to any option, really :P
There aren't that many freeBSD based distros and less desktop orientated ones.
If 64Bit: TrueOS
If 32Bit: GhostBSD

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 generally has better performance than Windows 7. If I were you, I'd update the computer to Windows 10 and give it a try. If it's still not fast enough for you, I'd recommend installing Lubuntu.

Edit: If you decide to run Lubuntu or any other Linux build, remember that Google Chrome is incompatible with 32-bit builds of Linux. 32-bit Chromium will work just fine, but it's missing some features.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: iAqua and VinsCool

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I checked its Intel Ark page, it's indeed a 64-bit machine, so you could run 64-bit Linux/*BSD fine. There's a sightly increase in the memory usage though, but it's worth the trouble if you want some better support.

As for operating systems:

>Windows XP is arguably the only Windows-based that will do well, it's great for gaming but it should stay away from the Internet. Even if Windows 10 can run better than 7, it's kinda choppy in low end system, at least, it was kind of a pain on my old AMD C-50, but it should do okay if you want to use something supported.
>For Linux, Lubuntu, Debian with XFCE/LXDE or Arch Linux with XFCE/LXDE were my choices in low end systems, going from the easiest one to the "hardest" one. For Debian, do a minimal install with the netinstall disk and install the desktop environment through apt with the --no-install-recommends flag. Arch stopped supporting i386, so if you want to use the 32-bit, you'll need the Arch Linux x86 or whatever it's called nowadays, plus compiling stuff from the AUR will take ages, so keep an eye on binary packages (usually with a -bin in their names).
>For something less mainstream, FreeBSD is pretty good and has a Linux compatibility layer, OpenBSD is more server/security-oriented, but it lacks this layer. Do not fall for the "user-friendly *BSD" meme, just use the upstream stuff and configure it yourself if you care about stability. :P
>For really obscure stuff, Haiku is extremely light, but I don't know if it'll work well on your hardware. And it has a package manager!

EDIT: For Linux and BSD, you can cut down the usage even further by going pure WM instead of using a DE. I also forgot to add: The software that you use will probably influence more than the DE/WM you are running.

Last edited by matpower,
Reactions: VinsCool

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Okay but seriously, with all the shitty 32-bit laptops I've owned (which all have similar specs to yours), I ended up installing Ubuntu GNOME on them and it runs fine. So, I guess which ever flavour of Ubuntu you like will do the job probably.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lubuntu or Slackware should work fine on that computer...
Slackware is more like Unix, and works on just about any computer
Lubuntu works on just about any computer as well, but it's more like Ubuntu (obviously, since it's a fork).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked its Intel Ark page, it's indeed a 64-bit machine, so you could run 64-bit Linux/*BSD fine. There's a sightly increase in the memory usage though, but it's worth the trouble if you want some better support.
I wouldn't recommend running 64-bit with only 1 GB RAM. Pointers are twice as big, which can add to memory pressure.

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can try something like Arch Linux with Lxde desktop, if your PC is x86_64 and if you are willing to install Arch Linux(it isn't very difficult)

Or else go with Debian, very stable, but requires some knowledge too

If you are willing to have the most optimised system, but requiring a lot of time, try LFS (/s indeed)

FreeBSD is a good choice if you want even less mainstream

Or else go with something like Lubuntu or Xubuntu, it is Ubuntu™

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...