Good Old Games: Regional Pricing? We'll make up the difference out of pocket

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But even when you take tax into consideration there's a large discrepancy remaining. One Euro is 1.39 dollars, so if a game is $9.99 in the US and €9.99 in Europe, it's a 39% price difference.

So? Gas (you may call it "petrol") costs more in some countries than in others, as do food and clothes and all sorts of things. I really don't see the big deal if a luxury item like a game costs more, when basic things you need just for daily life also cost more. Not saying it doesn't "suck for you" but maybe it's your country and its economy you should look at first before an internet store using regional pricing.

True, but isn't the US tax added to the price? That would make the difference even smaller..? :unsure: but I digress

There is no US (sales) tax. There are state sales taxes, but unless the store has a physical presence in the state you live in they (usually) don't have to collect sales tax. And a few states don't have sales tax at all.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are there many games not working on Windows 8.1/OS X 10.9.2? Linux distros are a different matter, but the other two "major" OS's work quite well. I've yet to encounter a game that doesn't work at all and I'm using a 2010 laptop. Current game library is already over 100 titles, but as you can imagine, I've not tested all of them to a sufficient level. Mostly the "problems" I've had have been settings related for screen sizes and such (things that you'd have to do in any case, but the options are usually not built into games from the 20th century as they are today).

Windows 7 user here but there are plenty classic games with issues on xp and up and gets worse on windows vista / 7.

2 Examples on my shelf (though I have more) Discworld Noir (Likes to crash after the opening scene and is very twitchy if you can get it to work) and Rainbow Six Rouge Spear Black Thorn which flat out refuses to run

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You degrade me in your very first sentence: but you did it unknowingly, plus I'd overlook it anyway.

On topic: how long should we wait before the rest of the game industry does this? It's brilliant. Standardized pricing for games no matter where you live? That's crazy... so crazy, it just might work!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So? Gas (you may call it "petrol") costs more in some countries than in others, as do food and clothes and all sorts of things. I really don't see the big deal if a luxury item like a game costs more, when basic things you need just for daily life also cost more. Not saying it doesn't "suck for you" but maybe it's your country and its economy you should look at first before an internet store using regional pricing.
:blink:

All I said was that taxes alone don't explain the price difference. I didn't think I was making a "big deal" out of anything.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
So? Gas (you may call it "petrol") costs more in some countries than in others, as do food and clothes and all sorts of things. I really don't see the big deal if a luxury item like a game costs more, when basic things you need just for daily life also cost more. Not saying it doesn't "suck for you" but maybe it's your country and its economy you should look at first before an internet store using regional

I dont get yout point. Gas, Clothes, Food and all this stuff has different costs to produce and distribute. Games do not. It is the same fucking cost for put the game digitaly in any place of the world, except by taxes, and the tax range is much more narrow than the differences between game prices in many regions. (the corporate tax range in World, including all taxes if the company operates under the law, changes from 0% to 40% and USA is far from being the cheapest)

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: