OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Just a little something I've been working on the side of my Golden Sun: The Lost Age editor. I figured it'd be better if I went ahead and revealed this before I shipped off for Air Force Boot Camp tomorrow, even though it's not completely done. I won't be able to respond to most of your comments since I'll be away for a few months, but I'll definitely read them when I am able to.

GoldenSun_StormVoiceActing.ips - (.ips patch file, 2.43 MB)

Of course you'll need a .ips patching tool such as Lunar IPS, and a copy of the original Golden Sun game to apply the patch to.

Known problems
- Several characters aren't voice acted included Dora, and many minor characters
- Kyle is missing one line

Things you might complain about that I did on purpose
- Volume of everything in the game reduced by 1/3 so voice acting can be heard more clearly
- The usual speech sounds are completely disabled during the beginning of the game since they're kinda pointless when the dialogue is voice acted.
- Character naming menus have been disabled so that the text & voice acting always match.

Cast
Kyle - Ventus
Garet - Magmabear (Creator of Golden Sun: The Abridged Series)
Felix/Jenna's Dad - XSlicer
Jenna - Rena
Mayor - Mitxela
Menardi - Charon (Creator of Pokemon: Jupiter Version)
Muscular Man 3 - Veritate
Old Woman - Charon
Saturos - Cena
Young Woman - Rena (Yup, I decided to use your audition line for her)

All of the technical stuff including programming, and audio editing was done by me, Atrius (Creator of Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now THIS is pretty impressive. Voice acting in Golden Sun. Never thought i'd see a hack like it. Pretty high quality considering too. It expands the file size to 11mb, but that's pretty neat considering the quality and such. A very interesting concept hack. Good work, and good luck with whatever you do with it!

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, coolbho3000, only during the storm at the beginning of the game has voice acting.

The audio clips aren't compressed, so yeah it's gonna increase the file size quite a bit. Since the maximum size of a GBA game is 32MB, I figure around maybe 1/16th, probably less, of the dialogue in the entire game could be recorded.

DarkSunDS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It was fun, I liked Saturos, Garet and Jenna (Kyle and the Elder a bit less I have to admit). But the voices still aren't very loud, so I think you should still lower the game's music volume, or amplify the voices.

I don't think minor characters should be voiced, personally I'd limit it to the ones with their faces next to their lines. And, I'd compress sounds if there's not enough space.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably the coolest GBA hack I've ever seen.

Kudos!

grog.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
i tried patching "0940_Golden_Sun_2_USA_GBA-MeGaRoMs" with this IPS and both VBA and my ez flash refuse to boot the game. could you tell us which golden sun dump you used?

DarkSunDS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
i tried patching "0940_Golden_Sun_2_USA_GBA-MeGaRoMs" with this IPS and both VBA and my ez flash refuse to boot the game. could you tell us which golden sun dump you used?
The original must be used, not The Lost Age. Got tricked by the mention of the TLA editor.

Also, I replayed the beginning talking to every character, and the old woman is definitely the best.

Auyx

GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator
Trophies
XP
Country
This is amazing, How did you get the audio to sound so good? Im playing it on a big surround sound system and half expected it to sound terrible compression wise but it is pretty good.

tangynacho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a super old post, but I would love to be able to expand on this and add more voice acting. Any details on how this patch was made? I'm a newbie at this stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards