GOG and Wine under Mint 32-Bit.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Linux Mint installed on pretty much every computer in my house but one which I reserve for Windows 7, unless you want to count the MorphOS machines, or the Mac, but those aside. I also, being a fan of the Raspberry Pi, have an interest in small, low power consumption PC's. The down side to these things is that if you want to get one at a low cost (currently), then you'll be getting an Intel Atom for a CPU, but the upside is that you can still play many new Indie titles from Steam, especially in regards to the 2D Metroidvanias such as Axiom Verge, as well as many classic titles such as the original Far Cray, Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Portal, and sometimes if you get the right system, you can even play games like DOOM 3 and Crysis at a decent frame rate with decent enough detail.

What is also amazing that I just discovered that that a lot of GOG game works great under Wine, and even on my minimalistic system that has the equivalent of a GeForce 9000 build into it. I can play all of the Legacy of Kain Series, NOX, Red Faction, Daikatana, Space Quest IV.5, Space Quest 2 (remake), Fallout 1 and 2, Star Wars - Republic Commando, and I'm sure more, as I'm slowly going through what I've go.

The bonus to all this is not only are these computers small and capable of delivering some good game play experience, but they can also be used with the Steam Controller, which ironically enough works well with these classics, especially it seems Turok the Dinosaur Hunter, and System Shock 2 for some reason. :)

Anyhow, though some of you may find this of interest. I always like to see what Linux and low powered computers can do.

In fact, if you don't mind something more along the lines of a thin desktop, you can pick up a 3Ghz Dual Core, HP DC5800, drop a GeForce 610 or 920 in there, and you don't even need to upgrade the PSU. Give it 4Gb of RAM and you are set to go. One of the best retro gaming rigs you'll have ever had, and for less than $130 if that.

Of course Zotac has smaller offerings for a bit more or less depending on if you want more or less, and then there is the Kangaroo PC, and Intel's PC on a stick. The list goes on, but they are all capable to varying degrees.

Last edited by XDel,

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Linux Mint installed on pretty much every computer in my house but one which I reserve for Windows 7, unless you want to count the MorphOS machines, or the Mac, but those aside. I also, being a fan of the Raspberry Pi, have an interest in small, low power consumption PC's. The down side to these things is that if you want to get one at a low cost (currently), then you'll be getting an Intel Atom for a CPU, but the upside is that you can still play many new Indie titles from Steam, especially in regards to the 2D Metroidvanias such as Axiom Verge, as well as many classic titles such as the original Far Cray, Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Portal, and sometimes if you get the right system, you can even play games like DOOM 3 and Crysis at a decent frame rate with decent enough detail.

What is also amazing that I just discovered that that a lot of GOG game works great under Wine, and even on my minimalistic system that has the equivalent of a GeForce 9000 build into it. I can play all of the Legacy of Kain Series, NOX, Red Faction, Daikatana, Space Quest IV.5, Space Quest 2 (remake), Fallout 1 and 2, Star Wars - Republic Commando, and I'm sure more, as I'm slowly going through what I've go.

The bonus to all this is not only are these computers small and capable of delivering some good game play experience, but they can also be used with the Steam Controller, which ironically enough works well with these classics, especially it seems Turok the Dinosaur Hunter, and System Shock 2 for some reason. :)

Anyhow, though some of you may find this of interest. I always like to see what Linux and low powered computers can do.

In fact, if you don't mind something more along the lines of a thin desktop, you can pick up a 3Ghz Dual Core, HP DC5800, drop a GeForce 610 or 920 in there, and you don't even need to upgrade the PSU. Give it 4Gb of RAM and you are set to go. One of the best retro gaming rigs you'll have ever had, and for less than $130 if that.

Of course Zotac has smaller offerings for a bit more or less depending on if you want more or less, and then there is the Kangaroo PC, and Intel's PC on a stick. The list goes on, but they are all capable to varying degrees.

I'm legit using my original Xbox with xdsl on it for retro PC gaming. I even soldered a keyboard and mouse to it as I don't even play Xbox games on it XD and with a 2gb swap space its sufficient for me. I mainly play oldies such as the original doom and wolfenstein 3d and sometimes mame and what not.

If you want to play games like doom 3 etc then ya what you suggested is ideal. Just letting people know that if they wanna play PC games from the early 90s and maybe some arcade classics an original Xbox with Linux will do the trick ;)

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm legit using my original Xbox with xdsl on it for retro PC gaming. I even soldered a keyboard and mouse to it as I don't even play Xbox games on it XD and with a 2gb swap space its sufficient for me. I mainly play oldies such as the original doom and wolfenstein 3d and sometimes mame and what not.

If you want to play games like doom 3 etc then ya what you suggested is ideal. Just letting people know that if they wanna play PC games from the early 90s and maybe some arcade classics an original Xbox with Linux will do the trick ;)

I didn't know that they'd advanced XBOX Linux to such a degree. Or is your XBOX upgraded with better CPU, more RAM, etc.?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and Dark Force II work, as does DOOM 64 EX. Also, by adding all your Wine games to Steam, you can play everything through Steam OS and not even need to touch the keyboard and mouse if you've got a Steam Controller. Though I like both personally.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice post, XDel. :-)

I'm sure you already know that not too long after valve announced steamos (and thus linux support), GoG somewhat followed suit: for games that were made available by the developers on linux, GoG now supports the files for debian (and derivates) as well as windows (read: if I buy such a game on GoG, I can download all the files for windows as well as all the files for linux).

Wine's compatibility list increases as well with pretty much each version upgrade. I'm not too surprised to see lots of GoG games on there as well: in the end, these are simple windows executables. By the way...did you check the wineHQ compatibility chart? These give a pretty good impression of what to expect of a game. :) (which reminds me...I've got to try desperados: wanted dead or alive again...it had a pretty nasty issue preventing proper play, but now I see it's upgraded from "silver" to "platinum" :D ).

Thanks for the price mark, by the way. I sometimes build custom pc's made out of pc junk at work, which are roughly the same specs, but I always somewhat wondered how much one would cost if this was to be put together from new parts. I admit I thought around 50-100 euro's, but first hand vs second hand plays into it as well.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that they'd advanced XBOX Linux to such a degree. Or is your XBOX upgraded with better CPU, more RAM, etc.?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and Dark Force II work, as does DOOM 64 EX. Also, by adding all your Wine games to Steam, you can play everything through Steam OS and not even need to touch the keyboard and mouse if you've got a Steam Controller. Though I like both personally.
No physical upgrades just running xdsl (Xbox damn small Linux)

Runs beautifully considering the Xbox only has 64mb of ram and a super dated celeron :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c