Hacking Gibberish text in Japanese games on American Wii

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, there are a few games that use a generic Japanese font that American Wiis and GameCubes don't have, which causes the system to display gibberish instead of Japanese text (Games like Giftpia, Rockman EXE Transmission, Kururin Squash, among others).

I'm using actual Japanese discs and Gecko OS. It's been a while since I last did anything related to the scene, but my Wii isn't softmodded, so my question is: Is there an app capable of making the Wii display proper Japanese text in those games?

Edit: Oops, I posted this in the Wii U section by mistake. Can a mod please move it to the Wii subforum?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the font does exist, it has todo with a flag only the japanese system menu sets. You could for example use nintendont to boot the disc, I wrote code in there which sets the needed flag. Also what do you mean your wii isnt softmodded? you dont have the hbc? how do you then have gecko os?

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
the font does exist, it has todo with a flag only the japanese system menu sets. You could for example use nintendont to boot the disc, I wrote code in there which sets the needed flag. Also what do you mean your wii isnt softmodded? you dont have the hbc? how do you then have gecko os?

Sorry, when I said my Wii isn't softmodded, I meant that I didn't have cIOSes installed (I do, however, have the Homebrew channel and BootMii installed). I'm going to try Nintendon't, thanks.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, when I said my Wii isn't softmodded, I meant that I didn't have cIOSes installed (I do, however, have the Homebrew channel and BootMii installed). I'm going to try Nintendon't, thanks.

the one thing with nintendont is (which I never bothered with) that you need a games folder on either sd or usb, basically nintendont is meant to load games from sd or usb but you can also use discs, if you use discs then the sd/usb option is only there for memory card emulation if you want to use it.

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
the one thing with nintendont is (which I never bothered with) that you need a games folder on either sd or usb, basically nintendont is meant to load games from sd or usb but you can also use discs, if you use discs then the sd/usb option is only there for memory card emulation if you want to use it.

Are you sure you can run discs? There are only options for loading from SD cards and USB. I guess I'll just dump the games. What cIOS do I need to use it? The guide on Nintendont.net doesn't specify.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you sure you can run discs? There are only options for loading from SD cards and USB. I guess I'll just dump the games. What cIOS do I need to use it? The guide on Nintendont.net doesn't specify.

I mainly wrote nintendonts features so I sure know what it can do :P If you get the latest version you can just select either sd or usb for wherever the memcard emu should go (you can of course also use normal memory cards) and then click boot disc. You dont need any cIOS whatsoever, just the homebrew channel.

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I mainly wrote nintendonts features so I sure know what it can do :P If you get the latest version you can just select either sd or usb for wherever the memcard emu should go (you can of course also use normal memory cards) and then click boot disc. You dont need any cIOS whatsoever, just the homebrew channel.

Ah, it seems I didn't download the latest version. How embarrassing XD Thank you!

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I found the problem. I had to create a folder called "games" in the SD card. It works fine! Thanks! Although I think Rockman EXE corrupted my memory card :( Time to play all my GameCube games again, I guess.

Since I had never had that problem happen to me with other Japanese games despite being warned about it, I created a save file. Oh well.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since I had never had that problem happen to me with other Japanese games despite being warned about it, I created a save file. Oh well.

Oh sorry for forgetting to mention that, the japanese mode also sets the memory card to japanese and I bet you the game asked you to format it...

MidniteBlaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Oh sorry for forgetting to mention that, the japanese mode also sets the memory card to japanese and I bet you the game asked you to format it...

Yes, and I didn't bother to read it, heh. What's ironic is that I ran this program in order to read that text, haha. It's ok. None of the data was essential other than my perfect Sonic Adventure 2 Battle save and I had that backed up. I should back up everything again.

Or just use the virtual memory card. That'll work too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night