sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought this http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=338860 7950GT AGP graphics card approx a month ago, but found it faulty on arrival. It would only play certain games, and on other games it would run fine. I returned it as a faulty item, they spent time testing it and concurred with my conclusion.

However, they cannot replace the item like for like, as it's no longer in stock, or is a discontinued product. They suggested that I choose an equivalent item from here http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.aspx?bn=10413

I'm just wondering what I ought to do, I'm going to see if they will provide a refund. but I don't think that's possible. I spent a £143 on the graphics card, and the highest priced item is £105 which is a
HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB GDDR3, IceQ, AGP8X, 2xDVI/HDCP/HDMI, "Turbo" which is currently out of stock.

What should I do? Is that card any good? is it better than a 7950GT? I haven't bought an ATi card for 10 years, always going Nvidia.

thanks in advance

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would ask for a refund and find another 7950GT if possible. The 2600XT would be a drop in performance, but it would have DirectX 10 capability.

If I was going to do anything, I would consider upgrading the motherboard to PCI-E if possible. You're going to have to do it sooner or later due to AGP losing support.

R-Unit 4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get 2900 HD ATi card if...nvm, you can't. hey you are exactly the opposite of me. I have NEVER used a nVidia card. Don't ask why. I am getting a new computer and I am planning to use nVidia this time.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
these days you're going to be really limited in the graphics card range if you have AGP.
the 2600 series are the basic DirectX10 cards. they'll underperform in DX9 games, and their performance really isnt good in DX10 anyway. so dont bother with one.
i say, get your money back and order one of these.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....d=56&subcat=403

outperforms the 2600 and 7950 easily in DX9 games.

but honestly if i were you - id save up, buy a PCI-E motherboard and go for a directx10 graphics card worth having.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The x1950Pro isn't that big of a drop down in performance compared to the 7950GT, so If you HAVE to get one of those, the Sapphire x1950Pro, would be your best choice. Otherwise, just try to get a refund, and buy somewhere else.

13330.png

13331.png

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Get a Nvidia 8800GT! Really worth the money!

Gives me AWESOME 40 FPS on Crysis on VERY HIGH!

Yep. I just got an 8800GT two days ago. I love it
biggrin.gif
Crysis runs at 40fps for me all on High and Unreal Tournament 3 runs super silky smooth with every maxed out. No complaints here, very cheap card too.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
lol 40fps on very high or high with an 8800GT is impossible.
theyre good cards but not that good.

plus they're PCI-E, not agp, so he cant get one.

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still suggest getting a refund and upgrading to a PCI-E board. Depending on your memory and processor, you'll more than likely be able to keep all your other components and get a decent PCI-E video card.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
lol 40fps on very high or high with an 8800GT is impossible.
theyre good cards but not that good.

plus they're PCI-E, not agp, so he cant get one.
The 8800GT performs almost as good as an 8800GTX and the (G92)8800GTS performs better than it.
According to this site, http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=6 the 8800GT runs Crysis pretty well.

If you can upgrade your motherboard get the new 8800GT or GTS or if you want to stick with ATi and want a cheap but decent card, go for a HD 3850 or 3870.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
what spec is the rest of your system? and at what image quality/resolution?

Anandtech are very good. but that review was performed using the benchmarking test, not the in game fps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.