Homebrew Getting started with Flashcards

SpecOp44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to transfer DS games on my Nintendo DS (first Gen) and onto my DS Lite. No need for emulation.

What is the best card for what I want to do?

Where would I order one online for Canada?

Thanks,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your best card for DS gaming would be either the Supercard DSTwo or R4i Gold (from r4ids.cn/)
Supercard DSTwo has tons of bells and whistles. On-Board CPU for GBA/SNES emulation, RTS/RTC, ect. But seriously kills your battery life
R4i Gold is more simple, no on-board CPU, so limited SNES/GBA emulation, but still has RTS.
The problem with the DS is that it doesn't have on-board memory, so backing up your own games is going to be tough.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

SpecOp44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your best card for DS gaming would be either the Supercard DSTwo or R4i Gold (from r4ids.cn/)
Supercard DSTwo has tons of bells and whistles. On-Board CPU for GBA/SNES emulation, RTS/RTC, ect. But seriously kills your battery life
R4i Gold is more simple, no on-board CPU, so limited SNES/GBA emulation, but still has RTS.
The problem with the DS is that it doesn't have on-board memory, so backing up your own games is going to be tough.
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to transfer my DS Rom backups of my games onto the R41 Gold card and play them from the DS?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to transfer my DS Rom backups of my games onto the R41 Gold card and play them from the DS?
DS flashcarts work right of of the box with DS ROMs. That's basically their primary function

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In most cases you are better off downloading the ROM. You can dump your own saves far more easily as they are small files you can send over wifi or one of the other methods where sending DS ROMs over wifi (your only method unless you buy some other hardware) is painful.

SpecOp44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats what I was planning on doing but the earlier mention of "backing up my own games" lead me to believe discussing Roms were against the rules.

Of course I will only download the ones I own ;)

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Thats what I was planning on doing but the earlier mention of "backing up my own games" lead me to believe discussing Roms were against the rules.

Of course I will only download the ones I own ;)

It's not against the rules to discuss backups. It's only against the rules to discuss piracy. Such as mentioning sites where to download ROMs, etc.

I highly recommend the Supercard DSTwo. As mentioned, it can emulate SNES, GBA, NES, Genesis, Gameboy (Color), etc, and run all kinds of homebrew. Plus, it is supported on firmwares up to 1.4.5, which I believe was the last update for the original DS and DSi models. The DSTwo can also run on 3DS firmwares 9.2 and below, which is ideal to have that firmware anyway because you can install CIAs on it and CFW is a lot easier to do without having to downgrade. So keep that in mind, if you ever plan to upgrade to a N3DS.

All you would need to do is copy the ROMs to your microSD card, along with the required firmware files, and insert into your flashcart and play. Not sure about backing up saves from your original retail carts, though. But the other suggestions for that sound like your best bet.

SpecOp44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the info.

Now, I'm having trouble finding a non-shady looking website to ship to canada.. any suggestions?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you ever get a 3DS you'll be able to use CFW that unblocks flashcarts, so you don't need the DSTwo. Moreover, the extra processor in it uses up battery power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol