getting EFA linker to work

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Melter, May 27, 2011.

May 27, 2011

getting EFA linker to work by Melter at 10:38 PM (6,423 Views / 0 Likes) 28 Comments

Melter New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I used windows XP mode (NOT compatability mode, XP mode is a built in Windows XP VM) on my windows 7 32 bit pc, and I got the same exact problem: the cart shows up as 256MB, doesn't format or write roms.

I'll try virtual box, need to find my XP disc though

Melter New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    ok I set up Windows XP 32 bit with SP1 with VirtualBox, installed drivers, and everything. Still getting the same problem: the card shows up as a 256Mb card on the client. Pressing format freezes the client, the LED stays green on the card. Pressing write rom turns the LED on the card Red to indicate it is writing, but then nothing happens, and under the progress bar it says "Backup Loader OK".

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    windows XP mode is a virtual PC install of XP on windows 7. virtual PC is a VM.

If your only seeing half of the 512, one of the NOR modules is likely damaged. (you can't fix that.) It was likely why it was sold to you. Either that or you got a 256 which you mistaken for a 512.

Melter New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    the sticker says 512, it was sold to me as broken, was just trying to see if I could fix it.

hunter291 New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    I have the exact same problem. This is caused by the fact that you bought a "Long card". It seems to be a copy of an EFA linker. I have the EXACT same problems as you. I could get the longcard driver to work, but everytime I want to start the long card client, it just freezes. The efa client shows only half of my space and refuses to add roms. So it seems likle you also got an Longcard. If you somehow find a way to fix it, tell me. I will do so [IMG]

Melter New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I thought longcard did not have a RTC? My card does, I could sync it using the client (It was set to the wrong time initially, I synced it with my PC's time and now it shows the same time)

hunter291 New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    My longcard did exactly the same

Melter New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    then how do you know its a longcard?

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Telling the difference between a EFA II and a fake:
    http://gbatemp.net/t275820-efa-linker-ii-i...t&p=3412335
    post number 12.

The EFA 256/512 is the same way. The long cart version has the LC printed on the backside of the PCB. The real one will have EFA printed on the backside.