Get a 2DS XL or 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ehnoah, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    So here in Germany the difference is just 20-30 Bucks and I think to get a new DS since mine is Pokemon Banned. So no Unban for me.

So yeah, I heard 2DS "looks" Cheap and got no IPS (I think the Brightness is better on IPS no?)

So I can't really decide what to get, I feel the 2DS looks better to me also with the MicroSD Slot etc. but if the 3DS Feels better, I have no clue. What would you guess me?

And is there any games coming for 3DS? I only saw Pokemon and 2-3 other games, so the release list for 3DS looks very blank?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The 3DS is on its last legs, as Nintendo likely plans for the Nintendo Switch to be its successor. They are releasing new models like the N2DSXL as a way to get rid of spare parts. As you already mentioned, there aren't that many more 3DS games in the pipeline.
    • The N3DSXL is likely to be on system version 11.3 or lower when you get it, which makes installing B9S and CFW much easier.
    • A N2DSXL is going to be on 11.4, which makes installing B9S and CFW more difficult.
    For that reason alone, I would get the N3DSXL.

Out of curiosity, why haven't you unbanned your other 3DS?

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 4, 2017
  3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Personally, I'd go for the 3DS XL, but then I do use the 3D feature.

Two benefits I've heard about is the front Micro SD and the included AC adapter, but according to Stuart Ashen it does feel cheap and it's easy to block the speakers:

edit:

Another thing to consider is the potential for a price cut in the near future, especially if it's going to be discontinued and replaced with the Switch (which is inevitable at the current rate).

Last edited by tech3475, Aug 4, 2017
  4. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    From what I know you cant unbann 022 Error. Only the 002 one.

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The 002 error is the only one that affects online play. The 022 error only affects the eShop (which can be bypassed by removing your NNID from the system) and Miiverse (which nobody really cares about).

6. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Dont you need a NNID linked to play Online?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    No, you do not.

8. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Worked indeed theough with 22 all lost Thanks for save my Money xD

Lacius likes this.
  9. THFourteen

THFourteen Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    It's a personal choice. I have both and currently am using my 2DS XL more as it's lightweight and comfortable but also I can just throw it in a pocket without a case and it seems reasonably scratch resistant too.

I never use 3D tho.