Hardware Get 3DS or wait for 3DS lite or buy DSi?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get a 3DS now, Only the most obsessed is going to notice the difference of quality with DS games being played on it. I played my Supercard DSTWO and found no real big problem with the presentation of the games.

It has a good (not great) library of games that will keep you busy until more come out, which won't be too long. There's really no reason not to get a 3DS now unless you're a pokefreak. But even then, one game shouldn't play a factor in whether you buy a console or not.

I bought the 3DS back in August, I got the ambassador games which I love, and the eShop is great. I never turn my 3DS off, it's always with me and I'm always playing it. Probably more than I've played my DSL and DSi XL.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So. There are only a few notable games on 3DS so far, there's no flashcart in existence capable of playing 3DS roms yet, there's another hardware revision/remake looming ahead, there's the hassle of having to update your cart to avoid it being blocked by the newest Nintendo updates and there's the problem of DS games looking different (I'm deliberately avoiding the word 'crappy' here, despite it being the most suitable word) on 3DS due to the different pixel density. I'd say that DS Lite/DSi/XL might be a better choice for topic starter if he intends to play DS games only. On the other hand, I don't think that DSi is worth the price that Nintendo asks for it. I'd wait a bit to see if the price drops on it, and if it does, I'd buy it.
You can say what you want but with the 3DS you are set for the future. Buying a DS over a 3DS now is so...

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
So. There are only a few notable games on 3DS so far, there's no flashcart in existence capable of playing 3DS roms yet, there's another hardware revision/remake looming ahead, there's the hassle of having to update your cart to avoid it being blocked by the newest Nintendo updates and there's the problem of DS games looking different (I'm deliberately avoiding the word 'crappy' here, despite it being the most suitable word) on 3DS due to the different pixel density. I'd say that DS Lite/DSi/XL might be a better choice for topic starter if he intends to play DS games only. On the other hand, I don't think that DSi is worth the price that Nintendo asks for it. I'd wait a bit to see if the price drops on it, and if it does, I'd buy it.
You can say what you want but with the 3DS you are set for the future. Buying a DS over a 3DS now is so...
...stupid.

Reactions: 1 person

Serke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You're kind of missing the point. I'm not arguing whether 3DS has future or not (surely it has, it's hard to tell how bright though), I'm just saying that I believe that right now DSi with its huge game library would be a better choice for op, especially at the $90 price tag. What qualifies as stupid in my book is buying a console which has no gaems, no means to play backups of whatever few games it has and which is likely to be revamped soon. There is no need to rush.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're kind of missing the point. I'm not arguing whether 3DS has future or not (surely it has, it's hard to tell how bright though), I'm just saying that I believe that right now DSi with its huge game library would be a better choice for op, especially at the $90 price tag. What qualifies as stupid in my book is buying a console which has no gaems, no means to play backups of whatever few games it has and which is likely to be revamped soon. There is no need to rush.
And yet he'd be able to play backups of the DSi's huge game library while still being able to play NEW 3DS games. A way to play 3DS backups will be released sooner or later.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the 3DS definitely doesn't have Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Ghost Recon, Cave Story 3D, Ocarina of TIme, Sonic Generations, or Star Fox 3D. Definitely doesn't have any of those worthwhile titles.

In short, your reasoning for getting a DS over a 3DS is stupid. You're saying he should get a DS because he can play all of the DS games on it...while you can on the 3DS. You also express that no one should buy a 3DS because you can't play back up on it...seriously?

Reactions: 1 person

Serke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah the 3DS definitely doesn't have Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Ghost Recon, Cave Story 3D, Ocarina of TIme, Sonic Generations, or Star Fox 3D. Definitely doesn't have any of those worthwhile titles.
Of course there are worthwhile titles. It's just that comparing it with the vast quantity of DS games, it's like a drop in the ocean.

In short, your reasoning for getting a DS over a 3DS is stupid. You're saying he should get a DS because he can play all of the DS games on it...while you can on the 3DS.
We're not having some general discussion whether it's wise to buy DSi over 3DS or not, we're talking about op's particular case. He never had a DS before and right now he has the opportunity to purchase DSi for what I consider to be more than a fair price ($90). DS games do look better on the DS Lite/DSi/XL. And rather sooner than later Nintendo is going to present a revised model of 3DS and the price on the current model will likely drop. Until that happens, DS games will keep him busy.

frogboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And rather sooner than later Nintendo is going to present a revised model of 3DS and the price on the current model will likely drop. Until that happens, DS games will keep him busy.
Nintendo is most likely too busy with the Wii You to start thinking about a new 3DS, it's barely even a year old anyway. There were several years separating the launch of the DS Lite and the DSi. Do you really think the best DS games will keep him busy for a few years?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, that same huge game library can also be played on the 3DS. Please don't start with ugly DS games on 3DS...

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets assume you never had a dvd player and a dvd player and a blu ray player were about the same price. By your logic, you should get the dvd player because there are a lot more movies on dvd that aren't on blu ray. That's just silly. (yes, I know its not a perfect analogy and eventually streaming might replace discs, but you get the point... ).

frogboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets assume you never had a dvd player and a dvd player and a blu ray player were about the same price. By your logic, you should get the dvd player because there are a lot more movies on dvd that aren't on blu ray. That's just silly. (yes, I know its not a perfect analogy and eventually streaming might replace discs, but you get the point... ).
Almost a perfect analogy, except that the DSi is cheaper than the 3DS. The better graphics and the 3D make up for the increase in price, not even mentioning some of the other awesome features of the 3DS. It's so much more worth it.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course there are worthwhile titles. It's just that comparing it with the vast quantity of DS games, it's like a drop in the ocean.

In short, your reasoning for getting a DS over a 3DS is stupid. You're saying he should get a DS because he can play all of the DS games on it...while you can on the 3DS.
We're not having some general discussion whether it's wise to buy DSi over 3DS or not, we're talking about op's particular case. He never had a DS before and right now he has the opportunity to purchase DSi for what I consider to be more than a fair price ($90). DS games do look better on the DS Lite/DSi/XL. And rather sooner than later Nintendo is going to present a revised model of 3DS and the price on the current model will likely drop. Until that happens, DS games will keep him busy.
The 3DS is less than a year old. The Circle Pad Pro isn't even out yet for those with the console. Nintendo won't be releasing a revised 3DS until *at least* next year.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's 20 measily dollars when you're spending $150? The DSiXL is still $170, AND it was only until pretty recently that DSi's were the same price of 3DS.

But still, even at $150 + Tax, the DSi is still damn close to 3DS price.

Proportionately, the DSi is still well at 7/8ths the price of a 3DS.

Thats like a Blue Ray player for $72, or a way-too-expensive-because-its-outdated-just-like-the-DSi DVD Player for $63. I mean for $150+Tax the DSi is waaaaaay too expensive for what it has to offer in comparrison to 3DS.

Unless this guy's buying a used DSi, then its just stupid-ish not to get a 3DS just to save $20

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, I don't really see this bottom screen and top screen scratchy thing people keep bangin on about, It leaves a rubber print from the analog stick and that's all I get.

You'll have to weigh up whether you're more interested in getting exciting new releases - how many 3DS games out are you really interested in buying? Are you going to get itchy fingers if you get the DSi and want more?

DS games are lowering in price everywhere, you can buy them 2nd hand in all sorts of game shops, and the internet. Unless of course you want to use a cartridge?
But bear in mind the 3DS also plays DS games, so you can have the best of both worlds.

I think you may as well get the 3DS for now, when, and if they release a revision of the 3DS in the future, you can always trade your original 3DS in, move your account and games from your previous 3DS to your new 3DSLite (or whatever they plan to call it, and it) and get it for cheaper..I'm sure they'd still be able to play DS games too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: