Germany, a Paradise for slackers ?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Youkai, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Not when global warming has more and more to say about it. But at least it's better than modern Nuclear Power, right? (it isn't)

Nihilism is not a solution, but it doesn't naturally affect people like this, it's an effect of feeling completely powerless in their lives for far too long.

I doubt that, but even if German work is still more protected than in the rest of Europe, it's a matter of time. By design of ordoliberalism.

I was also young and naive once, but it's possible I'm just a cynical asshole now too. Good luck.

Bimmel likes this.
  2. Julizi

Julizi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2015
    Germany
    In private business you get you full wage for six weeks if you are sick (Entgeltfortzahlung im Krankheitsfall). And after that your health insurance will pay 70% of your wage theoretically infinitely (Krankengeld) but it will try to declare you as incapacitated for work after some time. Still sickness does not affect your employment relationship.
    If you are an official (e. g. a teacher) you are generally irredeemable but you will also earn 100% of your wage for an infinite period of time if you are sick. German (or better: Prussian) officialdom is very expensive but since 1/3 of the German MPs are officials nobody wants to change that.

Last edited by Julizi, Nov 25, 2017
    Quantumcat and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    No, you are not. I know what you mean. And I don't think that I can change the whole thing, but maybe a little part of it. I know the feeling of being powerless - and I'm grateful for a chance to change it to a certain degree. Even if it's just my little world.

Thank you! :-)

Coto likes this.
  4. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Just wanted to share this here.

5. Lord M

Lord M GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    Good.
    In Italy (SHitaly) poors get no money.
    Work: abour 12-14 hours per day, 6-7 days at week, 500-700 eur at month...

If you are lucky, you can reach 1000-1200 eurs, but a single-room shitty home cost about 500 eur at month...

I want Italy disappear from the Earth :/

Last edited by Lord M, Nov 26, 2017
  6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    That's life, at least in Italy you have great food and coffee, come visit Germany and you will understand why I complain about that.
    They ask 3€ for a cup of coffee that tastes like charcoal, and your average lunch is no much better than a Kebab.

7. Lord M

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    Well, you have any idea how cost the great "italian foods" nowdays??
    I do not care about coffee, so no problem lol.

Italian foods cost much more here in Italy than in other countries as import foods. This is a shame.
    A meal cost over 10 eur at Kg, mozzarella cost 8-9 eur at Kg. And costs continue to grow every years.
    Bus and trains always less runs, and tickets price always grow (now it 1.20 eur for two closed places; the monthly ticket grow from 19 eur to 35 >_>)

Industries quickly kill made-in-Italy food, greedy vendors sold their "culture" for trash food and easy money.
    Wait some other years and TRUE italian food will not exist anymore.

So, even if you get 1000 eurs, 500 go for a hovel (not house), you need 300 eur of food, bills of water and electricity are about 200-300 eur too. And you dont know how ridicolous taxes here are...

Ryccardo and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    That is a pity, because real Italian food tastes fucking great.

9. Lord M

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    I know, best food in the world.
    Italian food culture is great, but italians people NOT, this is the fact. They sold their identity to industries and "progress". Now everybody only looking for money, nothing more.
    I hate italians because they vaunt to other countries about Italy greatness and foods, but then allow this culture to a bad end >_>
    Few years ago mozzarella cost 5-6 eur at Kg, now is close to 10 eur at kg...
    Prices grow up every years and quality go down...

Well, at least a true italian still can do a great dish with a pack of spaghetti, tomato and cheese :)
    (Italian cheese price too grew up madly in last years... At least, you can do a delicious dish even with a cheap cheese. The most important thing are tomato quality, but a true italian can see which tomato is better)

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    "That's life" what thE HELL

11. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Yeah, that's life as far as I am concerned (because I don't live in Italy perhaps).
    I wouldn't oppose someone trying to improve that, but it is not my business. Capisci?
    Man, I am too lazy to set straight my life, no way I would go around talking big about changing things somewhere else.

12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Working 12 hour days and getting 500 Euros a month is not "life," it's barely better than slavery. Especially if you live in a country that has a high cost of living

13. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I guess you know what the idiom "that's life" means. It actually is unavoidable.

14. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's really not, or at least it shouldn't be. It definitely isn't in Germany, which you kind of tastelessly quipped about being on the bad end of the deal because you don't like the coffee

15. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well according to the news paper around 200 belgians bought houses for 1 euro a piece because the mayor wants the town to live up again. So that is cheaper then mozzarella xp

16. coolcono

coolcono Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    Was denken Sie ueber die Fluchtlings? Ich habe eine bisshen Deutsche Radio gehort and dieses Problem war sehr gross.

17. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    what problem is big ? Plus rules say english only

coolcono likes this.
  18. coolcono

coolcono Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    How is the refugee crisis going? I was listening to some German radio and heard it was a big problem.

kumikochan likes this.
  19. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    From what I understand it really depends on who you ask and what their political views are. They are still oversaturated last I heard though

20. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    What do you mean it is not unavoidable?
    Are you implying Lord M does it because he likes it, he likes to suffer?
    Are you implying he could actually easily do something else? That he by himself could change how things work?
    I think it is naive to state "it shouldn't be like that so, erm.. so.." so what?, it is! you have to live with it or do whatever is in your power to live better.

And regarding coffee, coffee is serious business for me, I moved to Germany to avoid being worked like a slave, but I still miss coffee and good food (good beef in my case), why do you think that is tasteless?

PS: one could say nice things and give people false hope, or just be straight about it: being worked like a slave in many places in the world is unavoidable, it is out of reach as an individual to change that, so yes "That's life".

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Nov 26, 2017 - Reason: autocorrect