[GC]How to mod a gamecube

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by TrudleR, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    Hello there, I moved this tutorial from gulli to gbatemp because this is an english forum and it fits better here.
    NOTE: My english isn't the best and it really wasn't at the time this guide has come to live. :) I know that nearly nobody will be interested in this, but there are still some people out there who want to do this. It still feels more original/nostalgic (at least for me) to play GC games on a real GC. :)

Current Version: 1.1 - Downloadlink below

English:
    NOTE: Every version of the tutorial will be updated in this thread!

I created a tutorial using other sources, stuff from me and my experience. In this tutorial is the whole modification process of "modifying a gamecube" described.

What you need:
    - A XenoGC 2.0 modchip
    - A soldering iron
    - A gamecube... :)

Content:
    - The built-in of a Xeno GC V2.0 modchip
    - How to tweak your laser
    - How to clean your laser lens the right way
    - Some information about burning Discs and ISO files
    - Links
    - Personal experience/tipps

---------------------------------------------------------------------

German/Deutsch:
    NOTE: Jegliche Änderungen am Tutorial werden in DIESEM Thread hier festgehalten!

Ich habe mal diverse Tutorials im I-net durchforstet, zusammengefasst, ergänzt, usw.
    Das Tutorial beschreibt den kompletten Prozess der Modifizierung einer Gamecube, u.a.:

- Xeno GC V2.0 einbau (Modchip)
    - Laser Tweak
    - Reinigung der Laser Linse
    - Infos zum Brennen, ISO's
    - Links
    - Teils persönliche Erfahrungen/Tipps

DOWNLOADLINK:

Mod-Tutorial Download [pdf]
    (if the link does not work for you, right click ->"save link as...")

Greets
    TrudleR

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Ace Overclocked

Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Jul 30, 2010
    Italy
    Somewhere
    Sorry bro but the link doesn't work.
    What kinds of additional hardware does this require?

3. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Reported this thread since your guide contains rom links, please remove those because of the rules.

Further it's a pretty nice guide. You should make a list of what people need to mod. :3

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. TrudleR
    This message by TrudleR has been removed from public view by FIX94, Jan 25, 2014, Reason: thanks for the report, cleaned up the thread, if you want more personal conversations they are alway.
    Jan 20, 2014
  5. placebooooo

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    it sucks how there is no soft mod for the gamecube.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    True, there is something called "SD Media Launcher", but this still needs a disc to run. (:

EDIT: To get more specific: This would be a softmod, but buying a Xeno is cheaper. And if you cannot get rid of the drive, it's not worth it, because it is the most sensible/filigree part of the console.

DinohScene likes this.
  7. Ace Overclocked

Jul 30, 2010
    Italy
    Somewhere
    [​IMG]
    gives a blank screen for me :/

8. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    You maybe have problems with your browser-pdf-plugin. Try right mouse click on the link and choose something like "save link as". :)

9. Ace Overclocked

Jul 30, 2010
    Italy
    Somewhere
    Works now, thanks! :D

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Langin
    This message by Langin has been removed from public view by FIX94, Jan 25, 2014, Reason: thanks for the report, cleaned up the thread, if you want more personal conversations they are alway.
    Jan 21, 2014
  11. TrudleR
    This message by TrudleR has been removed from public view by FIX94, Jan 25, 2014, Reason: thanks for the report, cleaned up the thread, if you want more personal conversations they are alway.
    Jan 21, 2014
  12. Langin
    This message by Langin has been removed from public view by FIX94, Jan 25, 2014, Reason: thanks for the report, cleaned up the thread, if you want more personal conversations they are alway.
    Jan 21, 2014
  13. TrudleR
    Jan 21, 2014
  14. Langin
    Jan 22, 2014
  15. TrudleR
    Jan 22, 2014
  16. Langin
    Jan 22, 2014
  17. TrudleR
    Jan 22, 2014
  18. Langin
    Jan 22, 2014
  19. TrudleR
    Jan 22, 2014
  20. Langin
    Jan 24, 2014
  21. Nathan Drake
    This message by Nathan Drake has been removed from public view by FIX94, Jan 25, 2014, Reason: thanks for the report, cleaned up the thread, if you want more personal conversations they are alway.
    Jan 24, 2014
  22. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    The guide does directly lead to sites which provide ROMs and ISOs so I did take out the link for now, remove the whole "how to download roms" part and its ok.

23. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Back when I had a Gamecube I went the SD Media Launcher route for around $20 USD. It allows for home launching, SD game loading, as well as burned disc based loading. (Had to do a pot tweak on my Gamecube's laser to get it to read the discs but after that it's worked fine.) The SD game compatibility was alright but most of the major games I wanted to play weren't supported. (The Pokemon games being the main ones.) If someone wasn't decent enough soldering wise or doesn't want to open up their Gamecube for some reason I'd recommend a SD Media Launcher. (But check the compatibility list.)

24. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Been thinking about modding my GC lately, but I wonder is it better to mod a Wii or a Gc for (audio streaming) Gc games. On the Wii I've read a wiikey v1 is best for audio streaming games but they are almost impossible to find now days.
    So I may just end up doing this unless someone knows of another modchip that properly supports audio streaming on a Wii D2B drive. Lots of Wii modchip's say they support it but most don't support it properly so I'd like to hear from someone that's actually tested.

edit: just read up on yaosm 3.2, I believe it's going to be the solution that I've been looking for.

25. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I had my GC modded for awhile but with a launch Wii it really didn't benefit me anymore to be modded.

26. naughty_cat

naughty_cat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Egypt
    Is there an alternative to burning GC iso's? Like loading the games from an HDD or something like that??

Margen67 likes this.
  27. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    there is one, but you need a copy of Phantasy Star Online and a BB modem for the Game Cube

Margen67 likes this.
  28. Retr0Capez

Retr0Capez GBATemp's Official Evil Genius

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    In my vision of the perfect world ruled by me
    Been looking for German guide fore cousin everywhere. I'm like the only 3 people in my family that know English. Thank you life saver

Margen67 and migles like this.
  29. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    Lol, I just noticed how bad my english was back then. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or send a PM, as some parts of the guide are really hard to understand.

Last edited by TrudleR, Aug 20, 2017