GBAtemp's 10th Birthday Mario Kart 7 Tournament!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love these contests, GBAtemp has the best community socially!
I'm entering!
3DS Name: Shiro or Josh (I'm not really sure, but I'll change it when I get my 3DS back)
Also, I'm not sure if I can play at the weekdays because of school...

Sounds sweet, though I won't be able to join because I don't have MK7 or access to a 3DS. Is anyone willing/able to record their gameplay so we can see the races? 'Cause that'd be pretty neat.
I think that would put the person at a disadvantage, keeping track of it and the recording may get in the way.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I'm entering!
3DS Name: Shiro or Josh (I'm not really sure, but I'll change it when I get my 3DS back)

Sounds sweet, though I won't be able to join because I don't have MK7 or access to a 3DS. Is anyone willing/able to record their gameplay so we can see the races? 'Cause that'd be pretty neat.
I think that would put the person at a disadvantage, keeping track of it and the recording may get in the way.

I took this into account. That's why I will try my best to keep the rounds scheduled to the weekends.

Reactions: 1 person

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm entering!

I took this into account. That's why I will try my best to keep the rounds scheduled to the weekends.
OK cool, I can enter then. I also have one more question, what if we couldn't make it on the last minute? Should we message you and just leave the contest? Would be also be banned from entering future contests?
Thanks

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
YES! I'd love to enter!!! But...
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try :>

3DS name: Isaac
Err.. we have a problem, my name is also Isaac XD. TwinRetro? Any ideas?

Also, a few questions about the tournament:
>Will you try to organise the first round into timezones? It'd suck if I had to get up at 5:00 in order to play, leaving me at an obvious disadvantage. :(
>I know there's nothing you can do about this but I'd just like to point out that when you only have 1 race (especially with all items) you're going to have to be lucky to win. After you hit around 7500VR on public servers the whole thing just becomes a massive limp to the finish.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I'm entering!

OK cool, I can enter then. I also have one more question, what if we couldn't make it on the last minute? Should we message you and just leave the contest? Would be also be banned from entering future contests?
Thanks

I would have to disqualify you. It wouldn't be fair for everyone else in your group if I were to reschedule your race. If we had a good number of folks drop out from the first round due to extenuating circumstances, I might be able to scrape up a makeup race, but I can't guarantee anything, and I certainly wouldn't be able to do it past the first round.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
YES! I'd love to enter!!! But...
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try :>

3DS name: Isaac
Err.. we have a problem, my name is also Isaac XD. TwinRetro? Any ideas?
If it's possible, and if I have you both in the same race, I would need one of you to change your name. Otherwise you would both need to pick different characters so I can differentiate between the two.

Also, a few questions about the tournament:
>Will you try to organise the first round into timezones? It'd suck if I had to get up at 5:00 in order to play, leaving me at an obvious disadvantage. :(
Most likely not. I have a window of time in where I can host this event. If I were to set up the race times taking into consideration all time zones, I wouldn't have time enough for my real-world responsibilities. This is why I have enabled all items, and have set no restrictions for course, kart parts or characters. This would mean that a total noob, a hot shot veteran, or a bleary eyed racer can have pretty much equal ground. It would be a pretty crap tourney if the guy with 20K VR went home with the 3DS XL with not so much as a "how do you do" from the other racers.

>I know there's nothing you can do about this but I'd just like to point out that when you only have 1 race (especially with all items) you're going to have to be lucky to win. After you hit around 7500VR on public servers the whole thing just becomes a massive limp to the finish.
As stated above, I have set the races so that everyone has a shot at the first place slot. I don't want people to get discouraged from entering if they see a crazy hardcore hotshot waltz into the tourney.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Too bad it's on 3DS and not on Wii or even DS. I really really love the MarioKart games (and I'm quite good at them actually) but I don't have a 3DS.

Very nice to see that much competitions on the 'temp!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I'm in as well. I'm not that good at Mario Kart (except for Airship Fortress for some reason) but whatever. My display name is ?★Arras where the ? is the first letter of my current Mii color, usually B. (I change it every week or so to help my friend with Mii Quest)

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Holy Shit YES! I'm in! Name: Eerpow
I'm telling you all, Lunix will win this, He's a GOD at MK7! He wins like 99% of the time. And I thought I was good before I faced him haha.
Blue shells are barely a threat, the chance of losing a set amount of races because of getting bombed right before the finish line is very small, especially if you're 8 players. Plus there are techniques to avoid them, like using a mushroom or taking suicide before getting hit.
An experienced player will be waay ahead invulnerable with 3 bananas + something else while there rest are clustered behind throwing shit at each other.
MK7 is a much more balanced game than MKWii because of all the unfair items they've gotten rid of.
And if you're two veterans in a race it's pretty much an intense power sliding race between the them with the odd race where the spiny decides who of the two will win.
In the end the best player will still win if you play a complete cup, well the chance of losing because of luck is still there but very small.

Oh...
read the OP, just one track... gulp. :blink:

Can't wait!

Some tips of mine:
hold down on the slider when flying in a tunnel or when you're blasted away, you'll get ahead other players this way
collect 10 coins to increase your kart speed as fast as possible
try to always grab two item boxes at once
coins also gives you micro boosts so it always pays off taking them when driving in a straight line
use mushrooms or stars to avoid blue shells
if you can't avoid one jump off a cliff since the recover time is faster
always keep a shell or banana peel behind you holding R
use first person view when driving up the hill in alpine pass that way you'll see the boulders coming at you easier
jerk the circle pad back and forth to adjust your angle building up your boost level in the process
always look at the bottom screen in order to fire people behind you
if you see a blue shell get back on second place before it's fired
if it's already fired and there's no way to commit suicide or avoid it drive as close to the second place player as possible
best combo when first place is triple banana with a mushroom ready
memorize the tracks and shortcuts
learn where to best place banana peels
get good at sniping shells (play in battle mode online for practice)
get good at throwing bombs and try to always place them in the middle of the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1