OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Valve have just launched the Steam Community Beta. It's kind of like Xbox Live but free and for your PC. Not to mention there are 17 million users around the world.

With Steam Communities you can:

* Easily see your friends online
* Schedule group events
* Create a SteamID user profile
* Create and join groups

* Access Steam from within any game
* Track gameplay stats
* New chat rooms and game lobbies
* Voice chat in-game or out

There are new features like one click matchmaking, organising matches, chat rooms and extremely detailed statistics on your profile page.

If you're a Steam user go into your Steam settings then under 'beta participation' select 'Steam Community'. Once that's set up visit the GBAtemp Community page to join the group!

Join GBAtemp's Steam Community

steamgroup.jpg

Tip: Valve's servers are getting a flogging at the moment, if you have troubles signing up through Steam (or you click join on the gbatemp page and nothing happens) close down steam and make sure it's not running in the background. Then visit the Steam Community website and sign in, then visit GBAtemp's page and click join. It should work fine if Steam is completely shut down.

Note: If you are signed in to communities on steam you will be signed out on your web browser. Shut down Steam to sign in with your browser.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Even if you're not a Steam user or haven't bought any games on Steam you can join up and add your non-steam games to your Steam game list. Steam communities is accessible in game by pressing Shift + Tab. It'll track what games you're playing and how long you play on your steam id page.

The beta is currently running really slow. My net is crawling with it open, but it's just a first release and it's getting hammered atm, with a couple of updates this'll be the best universal pc game manager
smile.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now... if only they add things like achievements and those cool cards that you can put into your sig(like Opium) then this Steam thing will own
biggrin.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty much all of xbox live's features are here. You can even see a list of players you've recently played against online then with one click view their profile.

Very nice
wink.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And even if you don't have Steam... register an account, they have a lot of freebies. The Quake 3 Arena demo is a multiplayer one.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice, but...I've never heard of Steam. ?
Steam is an online gaming network developed by Valve, the company behind Half-Life. Since it's launch, it has grown into much more than just a method of handling online gaming. As you see, it's now a community tool for staying in touch with friends while outside of your games. Not only that, but it's a kick ass digital distrobution system with more devs and publishers signing on as the months go by. Most of Id's game catalog was just added to note one. The advantage is that when a game is coming out, you can prepurchase it (at reduced cost), pre-download the game so that it's ready to be unlocked the moment the game is "released".

Steam is not perfect, but as time goes on it is becoming bigger and better.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And even if you don't have Steam... register an account, they have a lot of freebies. The Quake 3 Arena demo is a multiplayer one.

I thought Quake 3 went open source. Another reason to hate steam. Oh and you can buy Wolfenstien 3d for just 5 dollars now, although it's been shareware for like 10 years. And Tomb Raider!
Just because the Quake 3 engine source was released does not make Quake 3 Arena free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain