GBAtemp reviews: The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PS3)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
189447-GBAtempreview_witch_and_the_hundred_knight_banner.jpg

Nippon Ichi Software's "The Witch and the Hundred Knight" is just out (21st of March) in Europe and comes out on the 25th in North America. Just in time for the European release we have GBAtemp's review of the game, for which NIS America were kind enough to send us a copy.
More in the review but the game itself is something of a Japanese take on a dungeon crawler and action RPG hybrid, it does however have the benefit of a nice action heavy fighting system which changes up the formula quite a bit.

:arrow: The review

NIS America product page (warning, some potential spoilers on the link)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still debating on buying this.

The mid year drought stuff does not appear to be quite so bad this year (mainly because watch dogs and possibly Drakengard 3), had it been like in years past then I would have said it would make a fine summer game*. I can even see it being a permanent part of someone's collection. The question of full whack now vs hoping you can still find it in January is a slightly trickier discussion.

I suppose I will ask what your opinion of the Mario RPG/paper mario franchise is. If part of the response would involve mentioning real time combat and a somewhat self aware story in a positive then you are on the right path here, especially if I ask what puts you off the likes of Diablo and Sacred and you say I do not enjoy clicking 10 times a second and doing quick time in all but name against my health bar with a health potion. Now for the sake of disclosure I am not actually a great fan of paper mario and co but I can recognise those things I mentioned as positives.

If you like the massive micro management, pondering character builds for hours and item grinding of said other dungeon crawlers then this mostly does away with that. I think this is good, some people claim to like min maxing and may not care for this as a result. If you are that person then chances are you probably also want to turn one of your friends to the dark side, this would make an excellent introductory game. However if you do that then don't be surprised when they ask "Where's the dodge button and enemy lock on?".

*I have put more than 35 hours since the 14th. I reckon I would have liked it more as a "couple of hours until my friends get here and maybe once or twice until 2am" type game. However the biggest "chore" was probably using a high wall mounted TV and sitting close to it resulting in a nice neck ache. Even the PS3 controller did not ruin my hands as hard as it has done in the past.

Reactions: GameWinner

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does the game pick up in terms of difficulty and combat depth?
Dropped it 3 hours in, it felt as simplistic as a generic phone game gameplay-wise, not to mention those damage counters being made in size 72 comic sans makes it really hard to see action on-screen when you're hitting multiple enemies, which is annoying.
Also the tutorial didn't help in being one of the worst paced and worthless tutorials I've ever played, presenting enemies who barely acknowledged the character even existed and freezing the pace to move the camera to "focus points" about every 5 steps.

The lack of animation cancelling, as far as I tested, makes me assume that the combat is slow and over-simplistic, but it's hard to judge on just 3 hours played. I will pick this up again if I hear positive things on the issues I'm having.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you mean the dream sequence tutorial then yeah that is several minutes to get used to the controls which would probably take 2 minutes to get used to otherwise, perhaps say a last time you were the Hundred Knight at full power and smacking things around sequence (think several of the Metroid opening sequences, even something like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed had you play as Darth Vader in the prelude) would be good. 3 hours is really not a long time in this game though.
Things after that are a bit drip fed -- the facets system and magic system takes some time to appear and get truly useful. However before that you do start getting levels where you have to think about what damage types you are assigning for the weapons you have, once you start getting different types of weapons and levelling them up there is some thought needed to balance against the needs for damage type, accuracy (lances are big damage and long range but narrow in the attack), range, timing (the wind up for a hammer can leave you open) and finish moves. I suspect if you explore all the maps you would probably have gained enough experience to keep you ahead of the curve, if you resist the urge to explore it might not.
I did eventually get the difficulty change options, however I am now not sure if it was the period of the game or that I dropped down to casual mode to see what it was about (not quite steamroller but not you would really have to not be paying attention) and returning to normal granted me the options (it was in the bucket list menu if you go looking). I will pull up an earlier save and see what goes there. The GCal system starts getting you as well, especially if you try to cruise combat and taking the occasional hit "because it is not that bad" and letting it heal via GCal fueled health regen.

However they could have been far more tricky with their enemy selection in the levels and balanced say weak against blunt with strong against it, it kind of happens a bit later on (your newest weapons might be magic themed but the enemies of the next level might well be strong against magic) but that is later. However if I had to pause to cycle weapons every other fight I would have probably put it as a negative.

In the end it is not a fighting game viewed in overhead perspective, I would probably really like to at least try that some time, but it is a proper system and one I do not usually see on anything really, certainly not in dungeon crawlers. I do not know if I view a lack of animation cancelling as a negative, especially when you do often want to seriously wound enemies rather than outright kill them. The times where I got smacked because I was doing the spinning spear finishing move against a corpse or thin air I always put up to me being silly on the attack button rather than poor systems design.

The massive damage counters and animations covering the action I will also join in on (I noted it in the review after all), however if you get used to using the enemy focus button it cuts through a lot of that; most around here have probably played a 3d zelda game with the Z targeting so the concept is probably entirely alien. Can't say the font was comic sans though (some was actually very serif even).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass