Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 41st issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

The Punisher​
gallery_111084_186_33620.jpg
gallery_111084_186_23949.jpg
gallery_111084_186_15479.jpg

The Punisher was released to arcades in 1993 by Capcom. Following the success of Final Fight, Capcom aimed to expand the beat-um-up genre. They focused on the same core gameplay while incorporating projectile weapons, new melee weapons, and even more outrageous fighting situations. Unlike similar titles released during the same period, The Punisher featured two very recognizable characters, The Punisher and S.H.I.E.L.D agent Nick Fury.

In classic side-scrolling button-mashing fun, The Punisher and Nick Fury beat their way to the King Pin, New York’s crime boss. The game featured simple control schemes that allowed players to jump in on the action within seconds of dropping their quarter. Stages were broken up between fist-fighting and gun-toting combat situations. Weapons scattered through out each level included an M-16, a flamethrower, baseball bats, knives, lead pipes, and even car tires. Graphics were fluid and smooth for the time period, with sprites animating such memorable characters as Bushwhacker, Jigsaw, and sexy teleporting ninja women. The game remained true to its comic roots by not only including Marvel characters but by incorporating onomatopoeias. The Punisher was so popular that it was later ported to the Sega Genesis, providing a similar experience with slightly worse graphics and sound.

During the era of beat-um-ups, many types of games were released for the CPS (Capcom Play System) arcade board, perhaps none as memorable as The Punisher. Kids who loved comic book action in the early 90s found a perfect mesh of entertainment with this video game. Perhaps not the very best beat-um-up to have been released by Capcom, it still holds a special place in my heart and gets gaming time on all of my CPS capable handhelds. If you have never given it a try then consider doing so now!

Genre: Beat 'em up
Release Date: 1993
Developed/Published by: Capcom
Designed by: Akiman
Composers: Yoko Shimomura, Isao Abe, Shun Nishigaki
System: Arcade (CPS-1)

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

We are always looking for community members who wish to get more involved. If you would like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let us know.

gallery_111084_186_646.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An immensely enjoyable beat-em-up, I did a review myself for Retro Review way back (plug plug): http://gbatemp.net/topic/121687-retro-review-thread-2/

One of Capcom's finest. Back in the late 80's/early 90's they really knew how to make fantastic games and used licenses very well. It would be great if game makers today did something more like this with comic book games rather than cobble together some bland 3D action game with exception to what Rocksteady do, they can do whatever they want.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
they did recommended it on the top 700 snes games. its a fun game but can u play such games now? ppl have changed their interest categories. like streets of rage, i think fewer would like it than before. thats why we see final fight for ps2 was really different (it matched god hand to an extent).

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they did recommended it on the top 700 snes games. its a fun game but can u play such games now? ppl have changed their interest categories. like streets of rage, i think fewer would like it than before. thats why we see final fight for ps2 was really different (it matched god hand to an extent).
It was never on the SNES, there was an okish port for Mega Drive though.

It's still as much fun now as it was back then, a lot of these have a timeless quality to them.

I have to disagree, a lot of people want these sort of games back and they are successful when re-released digitally. WayForward themselves are making a new Double Dragon game. The genre has come back slightly in the last whatever years, Madworld for example is a fine example of bringing the scrolling beat-em-up back in 3D.

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i would agree with that. it seems that the arcade generation is now looking for the experiences of their youth. retro "things" have popped up in mainstream culture as well. just turn on the history channel/discovery channel and watch any number of pawn shows, collecting specials, or picker reruns. the same is happening for games. a few years ago the virtual boy could be purchased on ebay, in the box with games, for under $40. now its difficult to find the same thing for less than $100. i've seen a similar trend starting to happen with coin-op machines.

where i see a line drawn is with gamers who were either to young to remember or to young to have established real connections with these games. these gamers seem nostalgic for the n64 and psx. so it seems that the new run of 2D style games is geared towards a slightly older generation, yet i suspect that the games that will follow will be remakes (and re-releases) targeted to the generation that came a console later.

-another world

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
It was never on the SNES, there was an okish port for Mega Drive though.

It's still as much fun now as it was back then, a lot of these have a timeless quality to them.

I have to disagree, a lot of people want these sort of games back and they are successful when re-released digitally. WayForward themselves are making a new Double Dragon game. The genre has come back slightly in the last whatever years, Madworld for example is a fine example of bringing the scrolling beat-em-up back in 3D.

yes yes megadrive/genesis thats the one

ppl i think think that games that are not 3d (like final fight ps2 like 3d) are quite boring and repetitive. they are but football is too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...