GBAtemp Game of the Year 2017 Voting: PlayStation

gbatemp_game_of_the_year_2017.jpg

2017 is coming to a close, and it's time to remember all of the great titles that released this year. Our Game of the Year voting thread will be a bit different this year, to allow for more games to have a moment in the spotlight, and to separate releases by console, for a more even style of voting and representation. And with that, we'll be starting out with the games that released for Sony's PlayStation 4. Games that were released on multiple platforms will also appear if they launched on, or had a 2017 release on the PS4.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By your definition, Kingdom Hearts REMAKE and Wind Waker REMAKE are NEW games too then? So why weren't they ever nominated for any kind of subjective award? What about final fantasy 12? That's a remake too
From what it looks like the kingdom hearts game you are mentioning contained two remasters and a remake of the 3ds kingdom hearts game, whereas the entirety of the n. Sane trilogy is a remake. As for wind waker, I haven't found any proof pointing to whether it was a remake or a remaster. Although the developer said that it had just enough changes to call it a remake, it was developed in six months (which seems like a short development time to rebuild a game from the ground up imo) and I haven't found any documentation on how the game was developed (meaning, there's no proof that the code for the Wii u version did or didn't share similar code to the GameCube version). Also, as stated earlier in this thread by Tom:
"Show me Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on the PS1 please. Y'know, that great collection of all three Crash games, totally released on the PS1. Oh right, you can't, you're just being a semantic ass."

Last edited by rileysrjay,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what it looks like the kingdom hearts game you are mentioning contained two remasters and a remake of the 3ds kingdom hearts game, whereas the entirety of the n. Sane trilogy is a remake. As for wind waker, I haven't found any proof pointing to whether it was a remake or a remaster. Although the developer said that it had just enough changes to call it a remake, it was developed in six months (which seems like a short development time to rebuild a game from the ground up imo) and I haven't found any documentation on how the game was developed (meaning, there's no proof that the code for the Wii u version did or didn't share similar code to the GameCube version). Also, as stated earlier in this thread by Tom:
"Show me Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on the PS1 please. Y'know, that great collection of all three Crash games, totally released on the PS1. Oh right, you can't, you're just being a semantic ass."

Your Nsane. you say KH isn't a remake yet it is exactly what you described in crash collection. Birth by sleep PSP, dream drop 3ds, show me where those games are on a system together smdh... And we all know the assets for kingdom hearts got lost after the ps2 that they had to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, same as wind waker. They even changed the controls for kingdom hearts camera by switching it to the rstick instead of RL.

It doesn't make it a 'new' game. I played crashed 1+2+3 on the psx and its the same exact damn game, the levels are the same exact levels its not a 2017 game no matter how hard you really like this game and dream it to be on any sort of goty besides this list here at gbatemp.

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Nsane. you say KH isn't a remake yet it is exactly what you described in crash collection. Birth by sleep PSP, dream drop 3ds, show me where those games are on a system together smdh... And we all know the assets for kingdom hearts got lost after the ps2 that they had to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, same as wind waker. They even changed the controls for kingdom hearts camera by switching it to the rstick instead of RL.

It doesn't make it a 'new' game. I played crashed 1+2+3 on the psx and its the same exact damn game, the levels are the same exact levels its not a 2017 game no matter how hard you really like this game and dream it to be on any sort of goty besides this list here at gbatemp.
Looks like I had misinformation on the kingdom hearts 2.8, as it was just a remake of dream drop resistance that added new stuff (I thought it was a collection of some of the older PlayStation titles that were remastered plus the 3ds game that was remade on top). As for wind waker, a source please? Because I've looked high and low and haven't found anything that says whether it was in fact a complete remake or reused code from the original GameCube version except the comment from the developer I mentioned earlier.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And also, whether you like it or not, crash nsane trilogy technically is a "new game". Last I checked it wasn't coded in the 90s, and also last I checked there wasn't a game that contained all of the original three crash games on the ps1. As to whether a new game should be disqualified as a new game because it features some of the same levels is a whole other argument for another day.

Last edited by rileysrjay,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I had misinformation on the kingdom hearts 2.8, as it was just a remake of dream drop resistance that added new stuff (I thought it was a collection of some of the older PlayStation titles that were remastered plus the 3ds game that was remade on top). As for wind waker, a source please? Because I've looked high and low and haven't found anything that says whether it was in fact a complete remake or reused code from the original GameCube version except the comment from the developer I mentioned earlier.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And also, whether you like it or not, crash nsane trilogy technically is a "new game". Last I checked it wasn't coded in the 90s, and also last I checked there wasn't a game that contained all of the original three crash games on the ps1. As to whether a new game should be disqualified as a new game because it features some of the same levels is a whole other argument for another day.

yea i cant find the source on windwaker but i think i heard it a long time ago, but your probably new to crash bandicoot, it was great series.
i always thought it was stupid p5 wasnt a simultaneous release solely because of potential goty stuff like this thread. p5 was going head to head with ffxv and both of them messed up their releases (ffxv released AFTER black friday and persona delaying the usa release til 2017 because final fantasy is more popular in the usa/eu and didnt want to be overshadowed (assuming)) but persona IS a 2016 game

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i cant find the source on windwaker but i think i heard it a long time ago, but your probably new to crash bandicoot, it was great series.
i always thought it was stupid p5 wasnt a simultaneous release solely because of potential goty stuff like this thread. p5 was going head to head with ffxv and both of them messed up their releases (ffxv released AFTER black friday and persona delaying the usa release til 2017 because final fantasy is more popular in the usa/eu and didnt want to be overshadowed (assuming)) but persona IS a 2016 game
Actually, I'm not new to crash bandicoot. Crash was a huge part of my childhood (however I didn't grow up with the original trilogy, I grew up with wrath of cortex, tag team racing, and the gba games). I didn't get to play the original trilogy until a couple of years ago with the Vita.
As for persona, it's always seemed fairly popular to me at least here in the west. Definitely not as popular as final fantasy though. It probably didn't release in 2016 here in the west not because of awards, but because localizing such a big game takes a looong time.

Reactions: Deleted User

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I'm not new to crash bandicoot. Crash was a huge part of my childhood (however I didn't grow up with the original trilogy, I grew up with wrath of cortex, tag team racing, and the gba games). I didn't get to play the original trilogy until a couple of years ago with the Vita.
As for persona, it's always seemed fairly popular to me at least here in the west. Definitely not as popular as final fantasy though. It probably didn't release in 2016 here in the west not because of awards, but because localizing such a big game takes a looong time.

i always believed the game was finsihed but held off because they knew FFXV, Horizon and Zelda would overshadow its USA release. it was probably the right decision financially but it cost them the accolades and got overshadowed by zelda

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The KH are just Remasters not remakes. The only remakes that exist are Re: Chain of Memories and Re:Coded. DDD was a port to the PS4

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The KH are just Remasters not remakes. The only remakes that exist are Re: Chain of Memories and Re:Coded. DDD was a port to the PS4
From what I read the ddd port was technically a remake. The PS4 version had a complete overhaul because the 3ds version originally used two screens.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tekken 7. Not only is it not a retread like pretty much every other game on the list (also P5 came out last year not this year..?), but it was legit the first time released on console... despite the arcade release being 3 year old...

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how people don't like Horizon Zero Dawn story. I think it was awesome! And judging from the ending, there will be a sequel. I can't wait.

A lot of people don't give Horizon enough credit, in my opinion.

How many open world games felt completly boring because every thing was so repetitive? Most open world games feel that way. There only only a few that felt polished and finished.

Then you also have most games these days with online features, just so the publishers can implement micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Horizon Zero Dawn does none of that, with the game being completely offline and Single player only.

Hell, Horizon even includes Loot Boxes, but they actually implemented Loot Boxes how they were originally designed. Without any online features, without any Micro-transactions what so ever. Everything is created around the actual gameplay and story. Instead of other games that are built soley around micro transactions.

Then the DLC, the DLC wasn't even announced until way after the game was released. So the DLC was developed as an actual DLC, and not something that was cut from the game, just to sell it as an extra to make more money.

Unlike with a lot of games now a days, the DLC gets announced before the game is even released, which makes people believe that the content was ripped from the game before release, to be released at a later date just to make more money. Bungie is known for this.

Horizon Zero Dawn is deffinetly, by far, my Game of the Year for the PS4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.