GBAtemp game of the week - #84

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jan 3, 2013.

Jan 3, 2013
    • Reporter

FAST6191 Techromancer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

GBAtemp book game club #84

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (NDS)
    We have not actually had the main Phoenix Wright series (technically it is known as Ace Attorney owing to the character Phoenix Wright not always being the protagonist) as a selection in this feature thus far but we imagine most of you know it, indeed "beyond Phoenix Wright" has been a theme on a few occasions. For those that do not it started out on the GBA but broke through for most when it got ported/remade on the DS and then got a translation. The translation in question is usually held up as one of the finest to hit any console and the gameplay, despite being somewhere between point and click adventure and dialog puzzle was combined with a few choice additions of the DS hardware (most notably the option to shout objection into the microphone), several sequels or indeed ports of the remaining GBA titles later (indeed this sits between the third and fourth of the "main series" in terms of story) and the series was starting to lose some of the sparkle for some. For the first "proper" DS game Capcom then made gameplay similar to the bonus case of the first game where rather than mainly being "defence" courtroom focused sections of the main series there is far more of the investigation, interrogation and prosecution side of things.
    As thus far Japan only sequel has been made though a translation project is underway and may even have a patch of the first case in the coming weeks.

Playthrough of the first case
    [IMG]

A nice little shake up for the Phoenix Wright series or a departure from what made it great?

We are working on getting a new searching mechanism working with the new forum software now our tag system has been changed. In the meantime all the editions are in this section and hopefully GBAGOTW should get you the other entries in the series. gbagotw.

There is more to GBAtemp than just news and part of that is we try to get discussion going on of games in general, part of that effort are a handful of features that share titles with The GBAtemp book game club/GBAtemp game of the week feature being one of those.
    "a user driven review/discussion of a selected title" is the short summary though there is a bit more to it all. The general idea behind this feature is a selection is made by the person doing the feature but for the opening post we hold back on reviewing it as it is more the thoughts and opinions of our fellow site goers that we are after here.
    We are not restricting ourselves to a given console or type of release though franchises with a proper release for the GBA, DS or Wii as well as ROM hacks, beta/leaked releases and homebrew for the same will be the ones to feature most heavily. Should we go off script as it were then chances are the DS will be able to play it via an emulator.
    You have probably met the basic idea behind these before but we do like to mention that we are not focusing solely upon the "best games in a given genre/platform" and "hidden gems". Such framing devices make for fine features up to a point but it also risks stagnation, more importantly there are all sorts of offbeat things that developers have tried on the consoles we tend to cover and we exclude those at our peril.
    machomuu, adamshinoda and jonesman99 like this.

emigre Making weeaboos look bad.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Christ, this was a good game.
    jonesman99 likes this.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    More like "Christ, this was a good series.".

Ron It Begins

Message Count:
    Canada
    Oh, this game is awesome, though, personally, the original series was better (Gyakuten Saiban\The games with Phoenix Wright and that 4th one with that Apollo guy). This game is still worth many plays over though, and there's a sequel that's getting a fan translation, it seems that the first case will be released soon, the thread is somewhere on GBAtemp, can't find it though.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    The link is in the OP. http://gbatemp.net/threads/ace-attorney-investigations-2-miles-edgeworth-fan-translation.289148/

Ron It Begins

Message Count:
    Canada
    Ah, didn't see that.

Ritsuki Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty

Message Count:
    Switzerland
    Haven't finished this game because of a little c**t who posted the sprites of all the culprits in the release topic... *sigh*
    Last edited by Ritsuki, Jan 3, 2013

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Message Count:
    Brazil
    this game is better than the phoenix wright games.
    • Supervisor

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Message Count:
    Italy
    Awful, awful game. I honestly dunno how you guys could like the SLOW storytelling and the mindnumbing debate scenes. All I can remember of it is someone shouting NOT SO FAST all the damn time asking me to present something else. BOOORING.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    I only played this since there was a crap rumour with Feenie being in it as a cameo. I thought it was like a brief chat with Miles but nooo.. he's just on a boat in the background.

Nathan Drake Hitokiri Battōsai

Message Count:
    United States
    I tried this game, and I really didn't like it. The game felt too slow compared to the Phoenix Wright games, and the new kind of exploration style just made things take that much longer. I hit a certain point, got bored, shut it off, eventually deleted the save, and was done with it.

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Message Count:
    Brazil
    no-spoiler walkthrough man

shakirmoledina Legend

Message Count:
    Tanzania
    really well done change to the original more awesome phoenix wright.
    the only complaint I have is that I never played part 2 of this game. not translated?

Aeter A walking contradiction

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    This game was okay, but couldn't live up to the standards of the original series.
    • Newcomer

no_chocobo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Should I play this before or after Apollo Justice?

jamespoo New Member

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    I must play this.
  1. buyme97
    This message by buyme97 has been removed from public view by Costello, Jan 5, 2013.
    Jan 5, 2013

Aeter A walking contradiction

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    I found this on a Ace Attorney wiki, so technically this game should be played before Apollo Justice, but I don't think it really matters, since this game was released way after Apollo Justice was released.
    • Newcomer

no_chocobo New Member

Message Count:
    United States

Yepi69 GBATemp Pokemon, EarthBound, Mother3 Proud Fan Boy

Message Count:
    Portugal
    This game is pure epicness, that's no surprise because the Phoenix Wright games were also great.

Way to go Capcom :grog:

adamshinoda New Member

Message Count:
    Vietnam
    Seriously Capcom, wtf is your problem? How much time left will I have to wait for the sequel's localization?