GBAtemp game of the week - #70

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Sep 20, 2012.

Sep 20, 2012
    • Reporter

FAST6191 Techromancer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

70 is the number of this GBAtemp book game club. As ever the introduction though which begins with the rough overview of what we are about. There are many games worth playing and at GBAtemp we have several series dedicated to sharing titles worth having said you played and this is one of them, however this is more about those commenting in the threads for each edition than the topic opener discussing the game.
    Our main sources for the suggestions are the large libraries of code for the GBA, DS and Wii which come in the form of ROM hacks, commercial games, homebrew code and all manner of other things like leaked betas and unreleased games. We might occasionally stray onto platforms the DS can emulate and if there are notable entries on another platform we will try to mention those too.
    The "worth having said you played" part was careful wording on our part as well for this is not intended to be a top ? games list we hold as those get quite samey very quickly and beyond that is leaves out a lot of the interesting attempts developers make to try to forge new franchises or interesting directions on old ones that might fall short in the attempt. What goes into the selection process is not going to be elaborated upon much more than that other than if there is a special reason for a selection or there is a running theme. Occasionally there will be a compare and contrast posed for a group of related titles or a run/challenge set as well but for the most part it is a single vanilla (give or take the ROM hack we might be selecting) game.

#70 - Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (NDS)

Probably one of Capcom developer Shu Takumi's (the Ace attorney series and Dino Crisis 2 among other things) lesser known works but one that bears all the hallmarks of such a talent. Without venturing too far into spoiler territory (nothing you will not really find out from a trailer or the first few minutes) you play as kind of time travelling ghost with abilities to move some objects in the real world, the game is then something of an investigative puzzle game as you attempt to change the future for the better and maybe solve the riddle of your own death. Fans of 2d animation will not be left wanting by this either which is to say some of the effects and animations are top notch. There is also an IOS version which is pretty faithful to the DS original.
    The game was heralded as one of the best handheld titles going when it was released and for the most part it has stuck around since but there are still those that have not played it so for those we have it here today.

Gameplay trailer, much more is available as well

For all their flaws do Capcom occasionally do things right or does it fall short for you?

gbagotw should get you other links in this series
    3 people like this.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Easily one of the best DS games I played, maybe even my personal favorite. Everyone should've played this, really. I tried the iOS version as well; it's actually pretty nice. It's the same game but the graphics look a bit better. (top screen is not really needed in this game anyway)

adamshinoda New Member

Message Count:
    Vietnam
    I must say this is my most favorite number of GBAtemp game of the week :D
    • Former Staff

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    A brilliantly original title and we're really lucky that this got localised. Think it's the last DS game that I purchased, either that or Monster's Tale.

Easily Capcom's best release for a long time.

shakirmoledina Legend

Message Count:
    Tanzania
    In the beginning I found it boring but the storyline is like the phoenix wright series, was really great. I also love the cat.

Aeter A walking contradiction

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    One of my favorite DS Games of all time.

SuperrSonic Konjiki no Sailor Moon... X

Message Count:
    Puerto Rico
    I'm currently playing this one, really awesome just as great as Ace Attorney.

Geren New Member

Message Count:
    El Salvador
    I loved everything about this game: the characters, those damned plot twists, the animations, OH the music!

Once I got hooked, I didn't stop until I finished it. I encourage everyone who hasn't played it to give it a go.

Ron It Begins

Message Count:
    Canada
    This game is one of the best on the DS. It's a really unique style of gameplay, and the ending is simply mind-blowing.

Sonic4Ever New Member

Message Count:
    France
    This game had a really touching story. The creators behind this masterpiece are damn gods.

ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

Message Count:
    United States
    Love this game. I did wished that it was bit longer though.
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Finland
    Personally thought this felt fresher in one way or another compared to the Ace Attorney series. Great series and well worth the little $$ needed nowadays to buy it! :)