FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I installed a shiny new 4k TV for a client the other week, they promptly used it to watch netflix and youtube and have not got any antenna/sat/cable going into it.
My brother seems to enjoy an awful lot of content on his PS4 and similar does not have any other box (especially as the PS4 seems to support nowtv) going into his TV.
I gave up on such things between 10 and 12 years ago depending upon how you want to count (started with me not wanting to pay TV tax and going with just internet*, moved to DVDs when I lacked internet in my flat the next year and while I was on a laptop for all of that it went downhill after I discovered XBMC, now known as kodi, and could pull things from the network/install to its hard drive).

*youtube kind of existed at this point but there were still other viable networks with lots of exclusive content.

To that end how many of you still do TV in one of the traditional big three senses of antenna/over the air, cable or satellite?
Personally I would be looking for more of a "talk about your setup/approach" type thing but if you want to go basic then feel free.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a raspberry pi 3 with kodi installed and about 10tb worth of drives connected just incase internet goes out (i like choice)

This is all connected to a 50" lg full hd tv and a 350w soundbar (the subwoofer sits under my bed)

My server in the living room copies anything under 2gb automatically to my tv hard drive for a pretty much automated setup using rss feeds

Don't have a tv license as i don't watch tv in the traditional sense and haven't done for about 3-4 years now

Last edited by yusuo,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno if this helps much but i have shield tv, supposed to watch live tv on it or something but i dunno if i have it set up wrong or not the right service. But i don't use it for live tv anyway, it supports netflix, hulu, amazon prime video, vudu, flix, plex and of course that xmbc or kodi which ever is supposed to be called. Though there is other apps to watch tv with but you need to have a service provider info to use, for example if you have cable tv such as for my case, optimum, you can watch showtime, hbo or max, maybe even more with that service without a tv box as long as you use a app.

Of course since there is other TV services that isn't really a tv like cable, or satlelite or whatever, like playstation vue, you can get that, maybe cheaper than having to pay for the service and renting the box to watch it with.

In my case again i pay $250-$300 a month for a all in one package from optimum for TV service that has different levels of tv packages that come with specific stations accessable for each tier you want. Of course more stations mean more money. (including three rental set top boxes for watching tv) Telephone service unlimited free calling, and internet connection with supplied router and modem (of course you can use any other router you want on your own) with up to 50MBPS download speeds. Something like playstation vue would be great since is way less, combined with something like the other on demand networks still not as expensive.

With something simple like a ps4 or xbox one or even a android tv like shield tv and a online streaming subscription would be very good saver.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Only ever watch TV when I'm visiting my parents and they're not home yet. Haven't watched TV since 2007 besides that. The TV program over here is toxic and I hate every second I'm exposed to it. I do have a TV, but it's only being used for consoles, movies and series. I have a Amazon Prime subsciption, but wouldn't know how to use it - the media I consume mainly comes from torrent trackers, I have a small NAS with 29 TB of space that regularly gets expanded.

Last edited by enarky,

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TV cord cut and its a one way antenna into my SNES, thats the only thing that will be connected to ANT. I had an ant adapter for my Sega Genesis that allowed me to plug my snes adapter into that and it was way better quality SNES then just the straight snes. There werent any jumpiness like it is now. I think i sold it to sone game shop when i sold my sega cd and two original genesises for next to nothing. Oh and sonic cd the game. Doh were those mistakes. Havnt watched tv other then when i go to my parents and thats its been probly since 2010.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a large 1080p TV hooked up to my PS4. Now. Technically we have Xfinity's cable box hooked up too but only because of how cheap it is when bundled with the internet. We NEVER use it.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4K 60" with shield 2017 TV. I don't even have a tv aerial, just virgin media 50mb internet, no phone line either.

I use freeview app in kodi, all4, itvplayer, BBC iPlayer, tv catchup, etc

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't even own a TV as I don't want to pay for the TV license here, so all my media has to come from the Internet or elsewhere.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I haven't watched telly since 2016.
Actually I haven't watched telly for almost 4 months.

It's nothing but dumb talk shows, sensationalist rubbish and advertisements which get dumber every day.
I refuse to watch that smut any longer.

Edit: I got me consoles hooked up to me telly (PS4, PS3, Xbone, 360, 360, Xbox, Wii U, Wii, NES Mini) dunno the diagonal of me telly but it's in the high 30 inches.
Bf games on a small 24 inch telly next to me.

Last edited by DinohScene,

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really watch TV, I prefer video games or Youtube. My family still has a TV though, and my mom and dad use it quite a bit. I tried to set up Kodi on a RPi 3 once, but it didn't work very well. I must've missed something somewhere. The channel selection was really bad and half of them didn't work or were in a foreign language. The other half, nobody cared to see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality