Homebrew GBARunner2

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, the volume shouldn't have changed. If I implement stereo sound in the future, you'll get louder sound. For mono as it's now, I can setup 2 audio channels to use the full ds audio range if you like
It was just an impression, I tested an older build and the volume level was the same :D

AlterEgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It already works on 3DS, you just need a DS flashcard to run it.
Thanks AtlasFontaine, just tried it on a 3DSXL with Castlevania Aria of Sorrow using the master branch. The game runs at a decent speed but the audio is slightly distorted and there are graphical pop ins at the right and bottom sides of the screen. Still though, it's amazing to be able to play GBA games on a 3DS at all.

Thanks Gericom, keep up the great work.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also tried Dragonball Z The Legacy of Goku 2 but it never got past the Gameboy Advance boot screen.

Last edited by AlterEgo,
D

Deleted User

I compiled and tested the Version of GBARunner2 with the new Soundbranch.
Metroid Fusion (E) and Metroid Zero Mission (E) both lack Audio.
Metroid Fusion freezes during the Introduction. Metroid Zero Mission runs full speed but freezes after collecting the Morphball or leaving the Room.

I appreciate your efforts Gericom!:)

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I compiled and tested the Version of GBARunner2 with the new Soundbranch.
Metroid Fusion (E) and Metroid Zero Mission (E) both lack Audio.
Metroid Fusion freezes during the Introduction. Metroid Zero Mission runs full speed but freezes after collecting the Morphball or leaving the Room.

I appreciate your efforts Gericom!:)
I will have a look at their sound. There are more games that have very bad (like only fuzz or something) or no sound. I don't exactly know why that happens. Maybe they don't use dma for sound (just write directly to the sound FIFO, which wouldn't work right now) or use very large chunks or uneven chunks

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've committed to the sound improve branch again, the sound fifo writes should be supported now, but I haven't tested it yet as I couldn't find a game that uses it. I've improved the thumb abort handler, so that might improve speed a little bit. Also, Metroid uses the sound dma IRQ which might be very hard to implement.

Reactions: guisadop
D

Deleted User

I tested both Metroid Games, Dragon Ball Adventure Advance and Advance Guardian Heroes (all E) with the latest Sound Branch Version.
The Metroid Games and Dragon Ball Adventure are having the same Problems from before.
Advance Guardian Heroes really improved and is running almost Full Speed with very few glitches and good sound!

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested both Metroid Games, Dragon Ball Adventure Advance and Advance Guardian Heroes (all E) with the latest Sound Branch Version.
The Metroid Games and Dragon Ball Adventure are having the same Problems from before.
Advance Guardian Heroes really improved and is running almost Full Speed with very few glitches and good sound!
Nice to hear that my efforts actually had effect :D
Edit: Could you update the compatibility list too? Also golden sun should be retested, it worked for me. And maybe the list should be alphabetic by default

Last edited by Gericom,
Reactions: DarkRioru
D

Deleted User

Sure. The First or the Second Golden Sun? Did you use Version 29/12/2016 or the updated Sound Branch?
Hm. :unsure: I can update the wiki but i don´t know how to change it.
Shaolin Assasin created the wiki. Maybe he could edit the wiki to be alphabetic by default?

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure. The First or the Second Golden Sun? Did you use Version 29/12/2016 or the updated Sound Branch?
Hm. :unsure: I can update the wiki but i don´t know how to change it.
Shaolin Assasin created the wiki. Maybe he could edit the wiki to be alphabetic by default?
The second one. I tested it today with the new version, but I remember I tested it with a very old version too. Maybe someone forgot to sram patch it or something.

Auto alphabetic is hard I think, it should just be reordered in the wiki text

Last edited by Gericom,

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Why not use safehax to install a9lh (doesn't need a hardmod or dsiware)and use gba vc?
https://3ds.guide/
I already have a9lh on my n3ds but my cousins do not have a9lh yet... but, they are on 11.0 atm if they didn't already update their 2ds's at the time of writing this... they are both at work and I don't have their 2ds's on me atm so I can't do anything of the sorts yet...

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a9lh on my n3ds but my cousins do not have a9lh yet... but, they are on 11.0 atm if they didn't already update their 2ds's at the time of writing this... they are both at work and I don't have their 2ds's on me atm so I can't do anything of the sorts yet...
You can use safehax to install a9lh on all 3ds firmwares without a hardmod or dsiware. Even on 11.X

Reactions: DarkRioru
D

Deleted User

Nice to hear that my efforts actually had effect :D
Edit: Could you update the compatibility list too? Also golden sun should be retested, it worked for me. And maybe the list should be alphabetic by default
The second one. I tested it today with the new version, but I remember I tested it with a very old version too. Maybe someone forgot to sram patch it or something.

Auto alphabetic is hard I think, it should just be reordered in the wiki text

I updated the wiki. The List is now Alphabeticly ordered.:D

Ah... The Golden Sun Games and their extra long Introductions.:blink: Golden Sun 1 runs a bit faster now.
Everytime i try the US Version of Golden Sun 2, i get this weird UNDF Error Message with a bunch of Letters and Numbers on the Touchscreen.
Sram patching doesn´t help.
The German Version works surprisingly well. Even without sram patching!:grog:
Golden Sun 1 and 2 are both having Problems with displaying their Mode 7 Overworld.
It only becomes visible when you enter the Menu Screen.

F-Zero Maximum Velocity is having similar Problems.

I tested the US Version of Street Fighter Alpha 3. The Eu Version won´t boot, even after sram patching.
The US Version works surprisingly well. Minor graphical glitches, good speed.
The Audio becomes messy when pausing during a fight.The Audio freezes after entering the Menu on the Title Screen.

Here´s the updated Sound Branch Version i used for those Games.

Have fun testing and please post your findings here and on the wiki https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBARunner2:D

Attachments

• GBArunner2.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 429
Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y