Homebrew GBARunner2

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 is not free if you don't update from 7/8.1

Of course it's always "free" if that is what you mean.

Why do you need a virtual machine? There is a working Mac version of devkitpro. I had to edit a script to get it to work on 10.10+ though, but I forgot how. I think it was replacing the "if uname Darwin" line with if true.
Actually it lets you use the trial period forever. It's like WinRAR.

Last edited by GBAFail,

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if this ends up being a reliable replacement to slot 2, I'll have to do some modifications to my GameBoy Macro. not having a GBA slot would free up a lot of space

Reactions: kiwiis

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
if this ends up being a reliable replacement to slot 2, I'll have to do some modifications to my GameBoy Macro. not having a GBA slot would free up a lot of space
As of now it's a pretty good slot-2 replacement and one of the best nds homebrews i've seen in a while TBH!

Reactions: SLiV3R

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really? Unless compatibility and speed spiked suddenly while I wasn't looking I don't think so.
It really depends on the game indeed. Games like mario kart super circuit play mostly like they would play in gba mode (except that saving still has to be implemented, sorry about that) but there are other games that have slowdowns. I hope to improve on that, but there will be some point after which optimization won't be possible anymore.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
It really depends on the game indeed. Games like mario kart super circuit play mostly like they would play in gba mode (except that saving still has to be implemented, sorry about that) but there are other games that have slowdowns. I hope to improve on that, but there will be some point after which optimization won't be possible anymore.
Yeah, like Gericom said, and also Zelda and stuff need a gba .bios file

D

Deleted User

Gericom updated the Master and File Explorer Branch of GBARunner2 today. You find the compiled Versions below.
After adding file creation functionality, the File Explorer Branch is 3 commits ahead of the master. Should I add this one as an Update to the wiki @Gericom?

Attachments

• GBARunner2-file_explorer_04_18_2017.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 171
  • GBARunner2-master.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 175

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gericom updated the Master and File Explorer Branch of GBARunner2 today. You find the compiled Versions below.
After adding file creation functionality, the File Explorer Branch is 3 commits ahead of the master. Should I add this one as an Update to the wiki @Gericom?
I'm still working on something. It says file creation, but the save creation is disabled atm. I have the code on my pc to read save files (no write yet), I'll commit that later. So you don't have to put this update on the wiki.

D

Deleted User

I'm still working on something. It says file creation, but the save creation is disabled atm. I have the code on my pc to read save files (no write yet), I'll commit that later. So you don't have to put this update on the wiki.
Okay. Thanks for your reply.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, so I noticed that the freezing in Wario Land 4 and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga seem to origine from the same issue. It seems to be a dma related problem as I am able to advance frames by setting the dma3 enable bit from within the IS-NITRO-DEBUGGER software. I was even able to advance enough frames in Superstar Saga to make the game continue on it's own. I really wonder what's the thing with this.

Edit: It becomes stranger, even by simply reloading registers or break/continue I can make it continue. How weird?

Edit2: It is definitly a timing problem. If I slow down execution by adding about 70.000 clock cycles to the interrupt handler, mario and luigi does not freeze

Edit3: I managed to lower the number of idle clockcycles needed per irq to about 8.192 by doing it before checking if it's a gbarunner arm7 sound irq (which means it is done more frequently). Both mario and luigi and wario land 4 are fixed by that. I'm gonna look if I can bring the number down some more

Look here for more information: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner2/issues/16

Last edited by Gericom,
D

Deleted User

Another update for the File explorer branch. Writing has not been implemented yet, but you can at least load your
save files. They should have the same name as the gba file but instead of .gba they should be .sav

Attachments

• GBARunner2-file_explorer.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 200

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho