Hardware GBA EZ-FLASH IV, video playback

leejunfan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking for the best homebrew software for video playback on this model of flashcart
using a GBA Advance SP
with EZFLASH IV using microSD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are looking at the DS and moonshell where you can have hours long videos (full films and such) quite happily then know that is not going to happen for the GBA.
There were a few means of playing videos but for the most part it boils down to find the old meteo video codec (technically it is paid software so I can't link it). You will be lucky to cram more than about 6 minutes in a 16 meg file, maybe a 20 minute cartoon in a 32 meg file. If you want to break them into smaller chunks and load each one and wait for PSRAM (or NOR if you have ages), or your videos are that short, then carry on.
While technically there could be homebrew which reads from the microSD there are no video players (and meteo is closed source to boot), and mainly a couple of proof of concept programs which use DLDI (more commonly associated with the DS).
Same deal for music really if that is where you are going next, though http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/musicplayer_advance_gba_mp3.htm (you may need to fix a header with flash advance toolkit and GBATA http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm ) should get you enough for a short ride somewhere.

Reactions: Ryccardo

leejunfan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
back in 2004-2005 i used this flashcart to playback music & movies (with Compactflash) on a GBA
its been such a long time that i forgot everything about how to
im surprised that the new microSD versions dont do the same

upload_2017-6-26_17-1-38.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I forget what the GBAMP had as far as extra hardware for this sort of thing but it was different.
That listing looks like it lied to you, or at least stretched the truth somewhat. With meteo you can indeed watch a video but it is not something I really suggest for day to day use where something like moonshell on the DS I quite happily used for years. Speaking of the DS the EZ4 no longer has DS abilities so that pass card stuff is irrelevant, it will happily act as a GBA cart though.

leejunfan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Listen im shure you know whats you're talking about, but i really doubt there is no other solution
at leats it would be very surprising considering the evidence that there is
i thought this forum was the best place to have this kind of information
i guess i will have to look elsewhere

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Listen, I'm sure you don't want to admit that you might have been mislead by the seller. But the fact is, the EZFlash IV does not have a Video player built in nor does the ezteam claim that on their product page: http://www.ezflash.cn/product/ez-flash-iv/

There is, as @FAST6191 mentioned already, a closed source, pirated software called "meteo" floating around somewhere. The software delivers impressive results for the hardware but in the end it doesn't even matter. You will only be able to fit a few minutes within the 128mbit or 256mbit using that software. There is simply no other viable alternative for the EZFlash other than watching the official GBA Video releases.

If movies is what you want, allegedly the m3 perfect I supposed to do that, but Ive never seen or used one s I can't tell how good or bad this will work and what to expect: http://sozoryoku.us/gbam.htme

But since the m3 perfect is discontinued anyways and expensive as both of my kidneys, that is probably not a viable solution either. At the end of the day, the gba is simply not a machine intended or well suited for video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol