Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

mattek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi guys!
Few days ago I bought AGS-101 LCD (white connector) to my 32 pin GBA. Connected it to adapter from Zerey (with single wire only to backlight) and everything looks fine expect one thing - scan lines. I tried "playing" with potentiometer, but I am unable to turn them off permanently, they just always are, sometimes more, sometimes less. For example, when playing Metal Slug and jumping, I see horizontal, light bars. When not moving, everything is ok. Is it LCD fault? Or additonal wire to sovle it? Or maybe potentiomete fault and I just have to change it?
Thanks.

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys!
Few days ago I bought AGS-101 LCD (white connector) to my 32 pin GBA. Connected it to adapter from Zerey (with single wire only to backlight) and everything looks fine expect one thing - scan lines. I tried "playing" with potentiometer, but I am unable to turn them off permanently, they just always are, sometimes more, sometimes less. For example, when playing Metal Slug and jumping, I see horizontal, light bars. When not moving, everything is ok. Is it LCD fault? Or additonal wire to sovle it? Or maybe potentiomete fault and I just have to change it?
Thanks.
adjust the potentiometer while the game is on, and test it during all those cases. When I did mine it took me a little bit to get it right.

mattek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know, but is it possible that is is so precise to do this? I will continue trying, but damn! Anyone know best game to test this issue? I know about grey background, but something more?

Cheekee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have a type AB screen (Brown Tab) and a 32 pin GBA. Can anyone recommend me a ribbon cable adapter on eBay? I'm fine soldering if I need to. I keep looking on eBay and a bunch keep saying they will only work with one type of screen, and that worries me that I might get the wrong one.

Last edited by Cheekee,

Rosni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It might be impossible to find a seller who knows difference between ribbons for third party LCD's or Original Nintendo LCD's, when I make a question about this (on aliexpress or ebay) they answer me with absurd answers.

opt2not

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ended up pulling the trigger on lee_chan1985's 5-brightness level ribbon adapter. It's the one where you press L+select to cycle through the brightness of the back-light without having to install a switch.

When ordering, I ended up sending him a couple pictures of the LCD I'm using, as well as the GBA's I'm installing them into:

jleGdxg.jpg

2J3p4cT.jpg

I have both version of LCD's as well as both versions of GBA's to throw them into. His communication was precise, and he let me know exactly what I needed for both combinations.
The ribbon adapters are on-route right now, so once they arrive and I can install them, I'll post my results here.

kitano77

Trophies
XP
Country
France
for gba on 40 pins , about brigtness and contrast, some people have again probleme
so i try a different connection to 32 pins, and it s great. if you have a lot brightness or bad contrast,
test this :

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm hoping to buy one of the ribbon cables sold by gbaguan, and from looking at their listings on taobao here:-
https://shop103264363.world.taobao.com/
It appears they sell 4 different types of ribbon cables for AGS-101 screens

Standard cable
http://world.taobao.com/item/17953133877.htm

Professional cable with brightness switch
http://world.taobao.com/item/24351408753.htm

Aurora Luxury cable with brightness switch
http://world.taobao.com/item/24351728191.htm

Aurora Deluxe "Rainbow Edition" cable with 5 brightness settings which you can cycle through using L+SELECT
http://world.taobao.com/item/39228683802.htm

Each cable type is available with the following options to match your GBA motherboard and AGS-101 screen
-32 pin cable
-40 pin (A) Screen
-40 pin (B) Screen

My question is what exactly is the difference between the Professional and Aurora Luxury cables? From google translate I get the impression that the Aurora Luxury cable includes power stabilisation circuitry?

I would just have just chosen the Aurora Deluxe cable, but after reading pelago's post
One thing to note about this cable, which I hadn't considered before - every time you power off and on the GBA, it will default to the lowest brightness level, so you will need to press Select+L sufficient number of times to reach your desired brightness. I had thought that it would remember the previous brightness level, but I guess it has no non-volatile memory.
I just know that it will annoy me having to reset the brightness level every time I turn the system on, and to be honest I think two brightness settings would be enough for me.

Last edited by Razor83,

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
so if i have gba with 40 pin cable i dont need to buy a other cable from the internet to put the sp screen in gba right?
Incorrect. Even if your AGB-001 motherboard has a 40 pin connector, you will still need an adapter cable. The pins don't match otherwise.

My question is what exactly is the diffferent between the Professional and Aurora Luxury cables? From google translate I get the impression that the Aurora Luxury cable includes power stabilisation circuitry?
Yes, I think it is something to do with power stabilisation. I read somewhere someone trying to play games from a GBC flash cart on a modified GBA with one of the cheaper cables, and it kept having problems, which I think was due to the extra power requirements of the flash cart. I believe that the more expensive gbaguan cables fix that problem, but I haven't tested this myself.

I agree it is annoying that the Select+L cable forgets the previous brightness. Ideally it would remember the previous brightness, but if that wasn't available, it would have been nice to be able to set a default preferred brightness using jumpers or a little switch or something inside.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm hoping to buy one of the ribbon cables sold by gbaguan, and from looking at their listings on taobao here:-
https://shop103264363.world.taobao.com/
It appears they sell 4 different types of ribbon cables for AGS-101 screens

Standard cable
http://world.taobao.com/item/17953133877.htm

Professional cable with brightness switch
http://world.taobao.com/item/24351408753.htm

Aurora Luxury cable with brightness switch
http://world.taobao.com/item/24351728191.htm

Aurora Deluxe "Rainbow Edition" cable with 5 brightness settings which you can cycle through using L+SELECT
http://world.taobao.com/item/39228683802.htm

Each cable type is available with the following options to match your GBA motherboard and AGS-101 screen
-32 pin cable
-40 pin (A) Screen
-40 pin (B) Screen

My question is what exactly is the diffferent between the Professional and Aurora Luxury cables? From google translate I get the impression that the Aurora Luxury cable includes power stabilisation circuitry?
I would just have just chosen the Aurora Deluxe cable, but after reading pelago's post

I just know that it will annoy me having to reset the brightness level every time I turn the system on, and to be honest I think two brightness settings would be enough for me.

I'd like to order from there too but the seller speaks no English, so I guess you'll have to settle for a taobao agent, those are pricy though :/

MoeBiikolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree it is annoying that the Select+L cable forgets the previous brightness. Ideally it would remember the previous brightness, but if that wasn't available, it would have been nice to be able to set a default preferred brightness using jumpers or a little switch or something inside.

So do you still prefer the rainbow cable to the aurora one?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
So do you still prefer the rainbow cable to the aurora one?
Well, I've only got the one cable so I've not compared the two side-by-side. I'm not sure how the brightness levels on the five-brightness (Select+L) cable compare to the two-brightness (battery compartment switch) cable. It might be that the brightest level on the Select+L cable is brighter than the brightest level on the two-brightness cable - I don't know. Although it's annoying having to set the brightness when you switch on, at least you can do it while a game is booting up for example, or in the middle of play - it's not like the 3DS where you would have to go into an option on the home screen and interrupt gameplay.

MoeBiikolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I've only got the one cable so I've not compared the two side-by-side. I'm not sure how the brightness levels on the five-brightness (Select+L) cable compare to the two-brightness (battery compartment switch) cable. It might be that the brightest level on the Select+L cable is brighter than the brightest level on the two-brightness cable - I don't know. Although it's annoying having to set the brightness when you switch on, at least you can do it while a game is booting up for example, or in the middle of play - it's not like the 3DS where you would have to go into an option on the home screen and interrupt gameplay.

I dunno. From the videos posted it looks like the brightest lvl on both of the cables are about the same. If the brightness lvls were the same, would you still pick the rainbow over the aurora?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt