Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

fenixt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK here are pics of each. The modded GBA is on the left, and the SP is on the right. Notice that the modded one does not have uniform color. It's hard to see the difference in these pics to be honest...

I can definitely see a difference. The colors aren't as uniform or vivid, and the pixels look more like a grid. You can even make out the pixels are off color horizontally every other row. Might be unrelated, but do you know if yours is a 32 or 40 pin GBA?

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
registered just to do this project. I've read through the whole thread. I have a 40 pin AGB at the house, and a AGS-101 on the way to pillage for a screen (I'd rather use genuine). I have a 101 screen in my SP NES edition, but no way taking that out of it.

I bought an adapter cable from ebay, which I thought was just a reseller of Zerey's cable, but it looks a little different to me. Is this cable Zerey's or does anyone have experience with it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GameBoy-Adv...434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461abaff7a

It might not be zerey's cable but from that picture that adaptor is missing a cable (to draw te power to the screen) that needs to be soddered to the gba board

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can definitely see a difference. The colors aren't as uniform or vivid, and the pixels look more like a grid. You can even make out the pixels are off color horizontally every other row. Might be unrelated, but do you know if yours is a 32 or 40 pin GBA?

I don't know, I bought it pre-modded.

So is that banding issue due to the screen, or the mod job, or is it just something I have to get used to?

fenixt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might not be zerey's cable but from that picture that adaptor is missing a cable (to draw te power to the screen) that needs to be soddered to the gba board

Not a problem, I was going to use a strand out of some ethernet cable (I think I read that in this thread)

I don't know, I bought it pre-modded.

So is that banding issue due to the screen, or the mod job, or is it just something I have to get used to?

No idea. I was just curious because it's been said that the mod works better on the 40 pin versions. You can look in the battery compartment, there is a hole in there with some numbers, if it starts with a "0" it's a 40 pin, if it starts with a "1" its a 30 pin.

fenixt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got my 40 pin cable the other day, and it worked with only 1 of 2 of my screens. Both are genuine ags101, but they are clearly different (maybe different manufacturers). One has markings made by LG (this is the one that didn't work, too bright and colors barely visible). The other worked perfect after adjusting the potentiometer. I think these adapters are only built for one type of screen.

Now I have a 32 pin board that I want to put the LG screen on. But worried if I buy a 32 pin adapter, that I'll get the same issue I had with this screen with the 40 pin adapter. Is there something I can do to the adapter (like remove a solder point or cut a trace) to make the adapters work with this type of display? Edit 1: Found out that the cable for 32 pin is compatible with both display types, and the 40 pin has two versions for different displays.

But yeah, the adapter from eBay worked, just had to find some coil wire for the power to get an extra boost in brightness. I'll post pics tomorrow. I would just like to build another one with this other screen I have.

Edit 2: Here's some pics. The AGB is brighter than the SP+ on it's lowest setting. The AGB is sort of between the low and high setting of the SP. Image is clear and colors perfect (after playing with potentiometer). I took a picture with the intro of Super Mario World with the color restoration patch (to match the SNES original colors). Everything on the AGB is genuine including shell and buttons, except for the screen cover which is a cheap plastic one off ebay. It's a near mint AGB that I found a while back, but just found it the other day (forgot I even had it). I'll have a few glass screen covers in a few days.

^^The green specs and horizontal line is from the cheap plastic lens, not the screen itself.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Both are genuine ags101, but they are clearly different (maybe different manufacturers). One has markings made by LG.

There were two revisions of the AGS-101 Screen. One was made by LG that was the slightly better screen and the other an OEM.

fenixt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The horizontal lines are caused by the polarizing film :)

I meant, there is a single horizontal line thats faded about a third of the way up from the bottom, caused by the plastic chinese lens. It has a tiny streak going across, im guessing when they made it

Just an update, I got the glass lens on today. And also de-soldered the extra power wire for the backlight. My battery life seemed kind of short, and the screen is bright enough for me with the backlight just being powered through the ribbon cable.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How it is a waste? IMO, the official GBA form factor is better than the SP.

I called it a waste because it requires the destruction of one GBA to just upgrade another. I actually prefer the GBA-SP over the original model, but even if I didn't I wouldn't be inclined to scavenge one unit just to upgrade another unless it was no longer functional.

But, are there correct-spec backlit screens out there that will work for this mod that are not sourced from an AGS-101? I would definitely be down for this if I could just order up a replacement backlit screen. (someone just pls give a yes/no on that before I drag my ass through 26 pages lol)

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've decided to just sell my modded AGB. I guess whoever did the mod job messed something up, I just can't handle the funky screen. I just sold my SP with a stuck pixel for $65 and bought a new one with a perfect screen for $20 cheaper, so I'll just stick with that for now. Maybe eventually I'll try again...

fenixt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
garbanzox - I don't know your experience with electronics, but have you tried taking off the back of the shell and adjusting the potentiometer? Mine was a bit off until I adjusted it.

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
garbanzox - I don't know your experience with electronics, but have you tried taking off the back of the shell and adjusting the potentiometer? Mine was a bit off until I adjusted it.

It worked! The screen looks great! You're my hero :bow:

Kurator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got my 40 pin cable the other day, and it worked with only 1 of 2 of my screens. Both are genuine ags101, but they are clearly different (maybe different manufacturers). One has markings made by LG (this is the one that didn't work, too bright and colors barely visible). The other worked perfect after adjusting the potentiometer. I think these adapters are only built for one type of screen.

Now I have a 32 pin board that I want to put the LG screen on. But worried if I buy a 32 pin adapter, that I'll get the same issue I had with this screen with the 40 pin adapter. Is there something I can do to the adapter (like remove a solder point or cut a trace) to make the adapters work with this type of display? Edit 1: Found out that the cable for 32 pin is compatible with both display types, and the 40 pin has two versions for different displays.

But yeah, the adapter from eBay worked, just had to find some coil wire for the power to get an extra boost in brightness. I'll post pics tomorrow. I would just like to build another one with this other screen I have.

Edit 2: Here's some pics. The AGB is brighter than the SP+ on it's lowest setting. The AGB is sort of between the low and high setting of the SP. Image is clear and colors perfect (after playing with potentiometer). I took a picture with the intro of Super Mario World with the color restoration patch (to match the SNES original colors). Everything on the AGB is genuine including shell and buttons, except for the screen cover which is a cheap plastic one off ebay. It's a near mint AGB that I found a while back, but just found it the other day (forgot I even had it). I'll have a few glass screen covers in a few days.

^^The green specs and horizontal line is from the cheap plastic lens, not the screen itself.

Which points did you solder on the connector from Ebay?

Ikkutebayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just bought a pre-modded backlight GBA and I found it has some ghosting issues with darker colors, similar to the PSP. I have searched the thread but I haven't found anything about this issue. Is this a common thing that you have to get accustomed to or there's a problem with my screen?

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi, I just bought a pre-modded backlight GBA and I found it has some ghosting issues with darker colors, similar to the PSP. I have searched the thread but I haven't found anything about this issue. Is this a common thing that you have to get accustomed to or there's a problem with my screen?

Have a look at this video, it's in German but you'll understand what to do.
It MIGHT solve your problem.

At the 3:24 mark you'll see what you will be screwing on.
Good luck;)

ronin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys i got 2 40 pin connector cable from zerey and i have 2 original screen but it didnt work really well, colors a little wrong and light is bad i turned potentiometer but nothing happened plz help me what will i do:(

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a premodded one on ebay and it works fine for GBA games and the screen looks nice, but it will freeze randomly trying to play a GBC game in it. the main game I want to play on there is the Pokemon red full color hack (via my Drag'n'Derp cart)

any ideas? all i can think of is that the screen pulls to much (milli)amps causing the gameboy to freeze when playing Gameboy as Gameboy games run at 5v vs. GBA Games at 3.3v.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hey guys i got 2 40 pin connector cable from zerey and i have 2 original screen but it didnt work really well, colors a little wrong and light is bad i turned potentiometer but nothing happened plz help me what will i do:(

How about a picture of your installation?
I had a friend who had the same problem, I replaced the cables that came provided with 30awg kynar wire and made sure not to have them unnecessarily long.

I have a pictures just let me find them and I'll post them here.

-EDIT-
YBIJZgB.jpg

AobeWJZ.jpg

SwaQ0KY.jpg

IcKM2m7.jpg

SxgbbAG.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality