Hacking Gateway's "Safer" downgrade - What do you think?

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
On the 3.7.1 update they mentioned:

"Currently there exist homebrew methods to downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, allowing you to use your Gateway card already.
But the downgrade method is not recommended as it is error prone, dangerous and can lead to bricking.
We would like to provide our users with a more safe method, and this is one of the things we are working on."

This "more safe method" what do you think it will be?
Gateway supported all 3DS regions in their 9.0~9.2 downgrade, but this time KOR & TWN (I believe) consoles don't have Homebrew Launcher support because there aren't themes, Cubic Ninja, Ironfall ETC.. So no exploit available. Do you think that they will support these regions?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Some users said it could be a modified version of ntrcardhax discussed in the 32c3 3ds talk (which was on dec 27 last year).

Is it too hard for koreans to import J or U region systems? Worst case scenario you'll have to have the menu on english or japanese but you'll be able to put korean dumped titles on korean again using HANS on the J or U system.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

"Currently there exist homebrew methods to downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, allowing you to use your Gateway card already.
But the downgrade method is not recommended as it is error prone, dangerous and can lead to bricking.
We would like to provide our users with a more safe method, and this is one of the things we are working on."

Gateway supported all 3DS regions in their 9.0~9.2 downgrade, but this time KOR & TWN (I believe) consoles don't have Homebrew Launcher support because there aren't themes, Cubic Ninja, Ironfall ETC.. So no exploit available. Do you think that they will support these regions?

The "safer method" will be a downgrade created with the power of the money,the capability of ignoring bricked consoles,like on 9.2. About the TWN/CHN consoles,them doesnt have browser?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had similar issues before so I'm sure they are aware of the different asian regions. This is probably why they are taking longer to release it, and not listening to foolish customers who want a release NOW.

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The "safer method" will be a downgrade created with the power of the money,the capability of ignoring bricked consoles,like on 9.2. About the TWN/CHN consoles,them doesnt have browser?
They do have a browser but it doesn't load Homebrew Launcher. The only use of it is to edit RAM. I think.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They do have a browser but it doesn't load Homebrew Launcher. The only use of it is to edit RAM. I think.
How do they use the GW 9.2 exploit,then? OOT3D?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There also is 4.5 DGPack for TWN/CHN units...

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Some users said it could be a modified version of ntrcardhax discussed in the 32c3 3ds talk (which was on dec 27 last year).

Is it too hard for koreans to import J or U region systems? Worst case scenario you'll have to have the menu on english or japanese but you'll be able to put korean dumped titles on korean again using HANS on the J or U system.
Well, importing is not hard... But why use more money on importing other regions consoles? It IS more easy and time saving if it just supports it.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You dont have themes? Oh wow, I am really curious at what your system looks like then. Can you post pictures of your Home Menu and System Settings? (I know itll look like a pre-9.0 3DS but still I wanna see :P)

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They'll sure steal other's software, and gosh they sure are taking their time

soon-tm.jpg

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

There also is 4.5 DGPack for TWN/CHN units...
The downgrade works with the browser but the Homebrew Launcher doesn't... I actually live in Korea right now owning O3DS KOR and O3DS US (the one I bought when I was in Canada) but it doesn't work. The Korean hacking forums also says it doesn't work. Including my friends.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The downgrade works with the browser but the Homebrew Launcher doesn't... I actually live in Korea right now owning O3DS KOR and O3DS US (the one I bought when I was in Canada) but it doesn't work. The Korean hacking forums also says it doesn't work. Including my friends.
If thats the problem,they can do a launcher.dat specially done for exploiting the arm11 vulnerability and downgrade...

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If thats the problem,they can do a launcher.dat specially done for exploiting the arm11 vulnerability and downgrade...
Hmm... I don't know how the exploit exactly works, but if it is that easy as you said... well then... okay :)
I'm planning to buy an JP N3DS anyway and I already have O3DSes downgraded to 4.5 so... not that it matters to me a lot.

You dont have themes? Oh wow, I am really curious at what your system looks like then. Can you post pictures of your Home Menu and System Settings? (I know itll look like a pre-9.0 3DS but still I wanna see :P)
It looks like this. Yeah. No miiverse. It's from a Korean forum because I don't have mine ATM. The home menu settings icon is the same but there's no themes if you click it.

Attachments

• nds_70.jpg
    nds_70.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 403

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, importing is not hard... But why use more money on importing other regions consoles? It IS more easy and time saving if it just supports it.

Yeah, of course. It's even more easy for you if someone else does it and more cheap if it buys it for you. Men, it's even more easier if nintendo just gave them away for free in korea (read that free as in free beer). But, in the real world none of this things are happening anytime soon.

So, if you need piracy that bad you can pay a little more for it. (Heck, you'll repay its value in games in no time)
If devs give suport for K or T regions in a future... well, lucky you. For the time being I wouldn't expect it.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hmm... I don't know how the exploit exactly works, but if it is that easy as you said... well then... okay :)
I'm planning to buy an JP N3DS anyway and I already have O3DSes downgraded to 4.5 so... not that it matters to me a lot.

It looks like this. Yeah. No miiverse. It's from a Korean forum because I don't have mine ATM. The home menu settings icon is the same but there's no themes if you click it.
Still not as bad as TWN/CHN.
In these regions the theme option is completely missing, the home menu looks identical to pre-9.0 U/E/J except you have a shortcut to amiibo settings in place of miiverse.
latest

In TWN (not sure about CHN) the N3DS doesn't exist and the library is a mix of JPN/USA games (you can't play carts from those regions), with a few Chinese localised games thrown into the mix. Here's the entire lineup if your curious, only games below that red Ct logo are compatible with TWN. Most people in Taiwan/HK simply pretended it never existed and import their consoles and games from Japan.

IronFall is available in TWN, but ironhax never worked on it since it's identical to the JPN version.
BTW, how many games do you get in Korea? Are they actually localised in Korean or just copy and pastes from other regions with different region-lock setting?

Last edited by lefthandsword,

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
In these regions the theme option is completely missing, the home menu looks identical to pre-9.0 U/E/J except you have a shortcut to amiibo settings in place of miiverse.
latest

In TWN (not sure about CHN) the N3DS doesn't exist and the library is a mix of JPN/USA games (you can't play carts from those regions), with a few Chinese localised games thrown into the mix. Here's the entire lineup if your curious, only games below that red Ct logo are compatible with TWN. Most people in Taiwan/HK simply pretended it never existed and import their consoles and games from Japan.

IronFall is available in TWN, but ironhax never worked on it since it's identical to the JPN version.
BTW, how many games do you get in Korea? Are they actually localised in Korean or just copy and pastes from other regions with different region-lock setting?
Nintendo is just not paying attention to CHN/TWN, KOR is lots better in comparison. In HK/TW they even introduced an o3ds module without local region support and have no online fubctionality, sounds ammusing to me. It can play JPN games, though, seems big N already given up Chinese language regions.

DavidKang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
latest

Huh. Interesting. Actually there are many localised games in Korea. Yokai watch, pokemon, Hatsune Miku, Smash bros, Persona Q, Senran Kagura, few zelda games... Big hits that actually sell a little. I don't know why but Korea got N3DS pretty fast. (Faster than the time that took when 3DS got localised in Korea) And... still no Wii U. Since there aren't many titles in Korean, if you go to the 3DS eshop there are titles from other regions (untranslated) but downloadable. I just realised that there aren't NNIDs either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1