Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it 100% confirmed that what gateway is talking about will not work on any FW below 9.2?

Meaning if you want to buy a 3DS now you have to open it up and update it to 9.2, anything below is worthless at the moment?

I ask because I want to buy a 3DS XL on sale, but I do not want to be stuck with it if gateway does not come through with this 9.2 support. I'd rather have my 4.5 regular 3DS with all the known features than risk only having limited functionality or none if gateway is being dishonest.

ExoMemphiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So is it 100% confirmed that what gateway is talking about will not work on any FW below 9.2?

Meaning if you want to buy a 3DS now you have to open it up and update it to 9.2, anything below is worthless at the moment?

I ask because I want to buy a 3DS XL on sale, but I do not want to be stuck with it if gateway does not come through with this 9.2 support. I'd rather have my 4.5 regular 3DS with all the known features than risk only having limited functionality or none if gateway is being dishonest.

No, that's not 100% sure... If it's not a kernel exploit, it could be they want to keep compatability with as many games as possible, while still assuring the users that the card works. If you are at 5.x you can't play Pokemon, as it requires 7.x or 8.x I believe. If you were to update in a month from now, they probably have 9.3 or 10 etc. and may have patched the existing way of emulating (if that's how it'll work) games.

In this case, it's for the consumers own benefit that 9.2 is updated to, unless ofcourse the firmware is 4.x in the on-sale 3DS XL

Reactions: Danjal

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that's not 100% sure... If it's not a kernel exploit, it could be they want to keep compatability with as many games as possible, while still assuring the users that the card works. If you are at 5.x you can't play Pokemon, as it requires 7.x or 8.x I believe. If you were to update in a month from now, they probably have 9.3 or 10 etc. and may have patched the existing way of emulating (if that's how it'll work) games.

Yeah. Just don't want to be stuck with an XL that is limited compared to a 4.5 3DS. I wish we knew more about this.

Anyways I have it ordered so I should have a month or so to decide if I want to keep it. I doubt Nintendo will push a FW that blocks this when they don't know what it is. I'm assuming we'll have a bit of time after gateway releases it to update to 9.2 before 9.3+ comes out that blocks it.

D

Deleted-355425

They said no additional hardware is required, as in no dongle or a 4.x 3ds or anything like that. I'm pretty sure a kernel exploit is involved, I mean how else are we gonna update GW?
Huhuhhhuhh you said dongle, anyway I seriously doubt you will need one to use with the new card update.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huhuhhhuhh you said dongle, anyway I seriously doubt you will need one to use with the new card update.

Well that's my point. Usually to update a flash card you need a console on a lower firmware that supports it or in this case a new way to update it which would be another exploit. It's been stated numerous times before that no new hardware is required.

D

Deleted-355425

Only logical thing to think of is they will let you patch the card with the micro sd card via an entry point in the 3ds firmware.

Reactions: Margen67

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

While Gateway says update to 9.0~9.2 (not below 9.2, but below 9.0 in that case) - they didn't say it wouldn't work below that.
They may have had other reasons to pick 9.0 as a minimum.
Although it would indicate 9.0 as a bottom bar.

This particular bit of information is the main reason to doubt that Gateway uses the same 'exploit' as SKY3DS, since SKY is functional on all firmware and Gateway specifies.
However, the other bit of information that indicate that Gateway may be reverting to single-ROM does allign with SKY3DS, which is also stuck with single-ROM and circumvented that by adding the button to cycle between a limited memory-storage on their card (the 10 game limit).

*IF* they are using the same exploit, and Gateway can do single-ROM with 'infinite' swapping of games - then that would permanently prove that SKY3DS' limit is completely artificial (beyond the high chance of that being the case people have deduced already).
However then the question would remain, why 9.0~9.2? Ofcourse it is possible that there is another reason Gateway targeted that particular set.
Which would likely tie into their desire to expand features. Needing some way in (even if its not full access like with SSSpwn/Ninjhax) to allow them to get their menu up and running which in turn would allow them to run a basic boot menu to pick games or implement a button-combination to cycle games or whatnot.

However there is no way of knowing what is what untill they reveal their cards.

ExoMemphiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, I'm sure GW has a special piece of code that executes a specific file with a specific filename upon boot, which has nothing to do with the connection to the 3DS, except for the power on. This could be one of the reasons they say one does not need additional hardware.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
tumblr_n46kpsKNQ61rmin5no1_500.gif

Im loosing my mind here. I just wish they release the goddamn video already. But I still stand on my claim that a kernel exploit is required to update the card, I mean why else so specific about the firmware? They could have just said to update to 9.2 and dont go beyond that. Problem solved. Im thinking the pre-installed themes have something to do with the new update.

D

Deleted-355425

The only shitter is will Nintendo patch it before the EU release and US release for the new 3DS

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Im loosing my mind here. I just wish they release the goddamn video already. But I still stand on my claim that a kernel exploit is required to update the card, I mean why else so specific about the firmware? They could have just said to update to 9.2 and dont go beyond that. Problem solved. Im thinking the pre-installed themes have something to do with the new update.

It's gotta be some sort of kernel exploit, there would be no way to update an ordinary gateway to function on 9.2 without a 4.5 3ds.
I'm really hoping it's a kernel exploit, all the things you could do with it, including running homebrew.

Reactions: guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's gotta be some sort of kernel exploit, there would be no way to update an ordinary gateway to function on 9.2 without a 4.5 3ds.
I'm really hoping it's a kernel exploit, all the things you could do with it, including running homebrew.

Well there are some ways to update the card but thats all speculations and made up crap. There is no logical reason they said to update to 9.0 - 9.2 specifically unless theres an exploit involved.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

If they update firmware to try and stop ssspwn and gateway move the goal posts as it were to 9.0 - 9.3 for example then we will know :P

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only shitter is will Nintendo patch it before the EU release and US release for the new 3DS

It's why I am secretly hoping now that they hold it back a bit longer. If they want their business to keep growing making sure that their cart works on the N3DS should be a priority. Exploits don't come along that often so why not make the most of them. Unless they are really feeling the hurt from competitors I guess and need a boost immediately.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's why I am secretly hoping now that they hold it back a bit longer. If they want their business to keep growing making sure that their cart works on the N3DS should be a priority. Exploits don't come along that often so why not make the most of them. Unless they are really feeling the hurt from competitors I guess and need a boost immediately.
They have no choice but to release it ASAP if it's the same catridge exploit used by Sky3DS.
That's why they recommend you to update to 9.2 and stay there.
9.3 most certainly will patch that flaw and there's no guarantee Gateway team will find a way around it.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If they update firmware to try and stop ssspwn and gateway move the goal posts as it were to 9.0 - 9.3 for example then we will know :P
Know what? :huh:

They have no choice but to release it ASAP if it's the same catridge exploit used by Sky3DS.
That's why they recommend you to update to 9.2 and stay there.
9.3 most certainly will patch that flaw and there's no guarantee Gateway team will find a way around it.

Your theory is good, however there is a flaw in it. How do we update the card without a kernel exploit?? Theres the difference between Sky3DS and GW, one emulates a retail game on a Hardware level and the other one at a software (kernel) level.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Know what? :huh:

Your theory is good, however there is a flaw in it. How do we update the card without a kernel exploit?? Theres the difference between Sky3DS and GW, one emulates a retail game on a Hardware level and the other one at a software (kernel) level.
Both seem to run games pretty much the same way, only Gateway has full control over the kernel, patching whatever is necessary for mounting and running the games. Also the red cartridge is controlled by the patched kernel via the rom selection menu.
Sky3DS has nothing but the ability to mount games and has a hardware switch for selecting the rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night