Hacking Gateway 4.2b/3.7b

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know WHY, but it does if you're using GW in SysNAND with alh9.
If you're using GW in SysNAND, have A9LH, and do a System Update, the FIRM partitions are overwritten with the original 3DS FIRM. This results in one of the following:
  • On O3DS/2DS: You end up with stock 11.1.0 without A9LH.
  • On N3DS: The secret sector required by arm9loader (which is normally only present on N3DS) is intentionally corrupted as part of the A9LH installation process. With A9LH installed, this is fine, since the "corrupted" data ends up being the exploit code. With the original N3DS FIRM, this causes arm9loader to crash, effectively resulting in a brick.

Reactions: Nightwish

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Plailect's guide is probably the easiest I have ever seen. Period.
Thanks but that was not quite the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know is it possible to setup a9lh on your n3dsxl using Plailects 2.1.0FW links & arm9loaderhax.bin files but use Gateways easy way of install using there menu? so your not setup with GW's encrypted files of there website.

Last edited by Reecey,

Vultix93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just dualboot into an EmuNAND. Luma3DS default, Gateway with a button press. Best of both worlds ;) And I can create multiple saves (one CIA, one .3DS) :P
That's my setup as well but I don't have an emunand. I use gateway only for the game that I forgot to make a save backup with JKSV

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks but that was not quite the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know is it possible to setup a9lh on your n3dsxl using Plailects 2.1.0FW links & arm9loaderhax.bin files but use Gateways easy way of install using there menu? so your not setup with GW's encrypted files of there website.
i think the gw guide gets you to 2.1 after that you can use plailect to continue the process afaik

Reactions: Reecey

Argona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using luma3ds and gateway on sysnand. However this update seems to have broken using the blue gateway ds flashcard, even in luma. Anyone else having this issue?

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're using GW in SysNAND, have A9LH, and do a System Update, the FIRM partitions are overwritten with the original 3DS FIRM. This results in one of the following:
  • On O3DS/2DS: You end up with stock 11.1.0 without A9LH.
  • On N3DS: The secret sector required by arm9loader (which is normally only present on N3DS) is intentionally corrupted as part of the A9LH installation process. With A9LH installed, this is fine, since the "corrupted" data ends up being the exploit code. With the original N3DS FIRM, this causes arm9loader to crash, effectively resulting in a brick.
Why would anyone update in anything other than emunand?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yea that makes sense now then. I don't use updated sysnand personally.
Why not? EmuNAND just makes everything harder. You have to install GBA and DSiWare on both to make them work, and if you want to upgrade SD cards you have to backup the emuNAND partition, make a new partition on the new card, and flash the emuNAND backup to it, and copy over the files (whereas with updated sysNAND you can just copy the files). Not to mention, if you use a small SD card or have a lot of games, the loss of that GB of space is really noticeable.

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Why not? EmuNAND just makes everything harder. You have to install GBA and DSiWare on both to make them work, and if you want to upgrade SD cards you have to backup the emuNAND partition, make a new partition on the new card, and flash the emuNAND backup to it, and copy over the files (whereas with updated sysNAND you can just copy the files). Not to mention, if you use a small SD card or have a lot of games, the loss of that GB of space is really noticeable.
I see no use for it. I like the fact that if always in emunand the 3ds is pretty much brick proof and my main sd card is for my gw. I can't stand the install times for CIAs.

Reactions: Nightwish

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no use for it. I like the fact that if always in emunand the 3ds is pretty much brick proof and my main sd card is for my gw. I can't stand the install times for CIAs.
a9lh is pretty brick-proof too. and you can use it with Gateway. anything you could do to permanently brick your system with a9lh could probably be done from emunand too (aside from updating in GW sysnand, due to no FIRM protection yet).

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why not have both? I have A9LH with Luma and no EmuNAND needed, and I also have Gateway. Win-win.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
A9LH is more brick proof than emuNAND with no a9lh and updated sysNAND with a9lh is equal as brick proof as a9lh with emuNAND, only minus all the inconvenience.

MisterPantsEyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you guys still using Gateway? Today I've switched to A9LH with Luma and it's so much better. The only word that could describe it properly is 'Master Race'.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are you guys still using Gateway? Today I've switched to A9LH with Luma and it's so much better. The only word that could describe it properly is 'Master Race'.
Every otherpost in this topic says this.

You know it's possible to use both Luma and Gateway through A9LH at the same time, right? It's not an either-or choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality