homigura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good evening!

I'm Mathews from Brazil and i wanted to know when you guys think the update that supports 9.2.0-20 will be available...
Not the exact the exact date, but only a prevision, because i have 3 3DS (2x 3DS and 1x 3DS XL) , and i want to buy gateways, but all my 3ds are on 9.2 ...
And i got some questions aswell , i would be very happy if you could answer them for me :P
1:I have an American account in the eShop, with around 4 games. Will I be able to play them without problem?
2: I can play gateway games online? (without upgrade FW, of course.)
3: What can I install with .cia files? Any chance of damaging the console?
5: Should I wait to buy? Will the price get lower? I need to have the card until to +/- 16 December ...

Thank you in advance!!!!
:)
cleardot.gif

superspence

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We don't really know when the update will be coming out, but Gateway said they were just finalizing everything (could still be months away though)

1. Probably

2. Probably, unless Nintendo updates games to work on a higher firmware than Gateway will work on (unless there's EmuNAND, which no one knows for sure if there is)

3. You probably won't be able to install .cia files on 9.2, but if you can you can install almost anything with them. Yes there's a chance of damaging the console.

4. Yes you should wait as it may not turn out to be what you want. The price probably won't get lower. If you need the card by mid-December then you're going to have to take the risk that Gateway isn't going to release what you want, or has to cancel the release for whatever reason.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not hardware PROBLEM, they did it on purpose.
So, show me the post/proof that people have gotten 11+ games to work on their SKY or R5 card.
Without resorting to the risky and potentially card-breaking glitch.
And with full save and game functionality retained for all titles.

As far as currently known, there's still a strong indication that its partially a hardware problem.
An intentional problem... But still limited to the hardware (and its accompanying programming).

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So, show me the post/proof that people have gotten 11+ games to work on their SKY or R5 card.
Without resorting to the risky and potentially card-breaking glitch.
And with full save and game functionality retained for all titles.

As far as currently known, there's still a strong indication that its partially a hardware problem.
An intentional problem... But still limited to the hardware (and its accompanying programming).

Well, if its intenional then its not a problem. I am just saying that its not technical limitation.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if its intenional then its not a problem. I am just saying that its not technical limitation.
I'd say that there may be a miscommunication here between how people interpret "technical limitation".

When someone says that its a technical limitation on the SKY3DS that it can only safely/stable store 10 games (and given that we have as of yet not seen that disproven, thats a fair assumption untill proven otherwise). Then that is correct.

While that doesn't mean that it would be impossible to create a similar device without that limitation. Thereby implying that it isn't a technical limitation in the sense that "technology to overcome it does exist" - it is still a technical limitation of the device currently being sold.
Albeit a limitation that is put there by its creators for whatever reason (most prominent suspect being greed).

The point being - unless you or anyone else can prove or show that the SKY3DS cartridge can run more than its designated limit of 10 games in a stable manner consistently.
You do not prove that its *not* a technical limitation of the current device.
Even if it is technically possible to create a different device using different chips/hardware that would function without the 10 games limit. That would be a different device undergoing different rules and/or restrictions.

So when you're saying "Its not a technical limitation."
What factual basis do you have that shows the SKY3DS running 11 or more games in a stable, non-glitch manner. And does so consistently.

I'd say that superspence seems to be correct.
The 10 game limit was a Sky3DS hardware problem, I believe. If Gateway uses higher quality parts, which it does, then there won't be the limit.
The primary difference between SKY and Gateway are the selected components.
Gateway being purposefully designed with futureproofing in mind, containing (probably) more expensive but more versatile components.
Whereas SKY seems to be more focused on short-term profits as opposed to a long-term business model. (Explaining why there'd be a 10 game limit, cheaper parts and 'forcing' people to buy a second or even third cartridge.)

It would seem to me that SKY tried to create a golden-egg-laying-goose. The gift that just keeps on giving.
As opposed to Gateway which effectively sells a single card per uses and thats that.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'd say that there may be a miscommunication here between how people interpret "technical limitation".

When someone says that its a technical limitation on the SKY3DS that it can only safely/stable store 10 games (and given that we have as of yet not seen that disproven, thats a fair assumption untill proven otherwise). Then that is correct.

While that doesn't mean that it would be impossible to create a similar device without that limitation. Thereby implying that it isn't a technical limitation in the sense that "technology to overcome it does exist" - it is still a technical limitation of the device currently being sold.
Albeit a limitation that is put there by its creators for whatever reason (most prominent suspect being greed).

The point being - unless you or anyone else can prove or show that the SKY3DS cartridge can run more than its designated limit of 10 games in a stable manner consistently.
You do not prove that its *not* a technical limitation of the current device.
Even if it is technically possible to create a different device using different chips/hardware that would function without the 10 games limit. That would be a different device undergoing different rules and/or restrictions.

So when you're saying "Its not a technical limitation."
What factual basis do you have that shows the SKY3DS running 11 or more games in a stable, non-glitch manner. And does so consistently.

I'd say that superspence seems to be correct.

The primary difference between SKY and Gateway are the selected components.
Gateway being purposefully designed with futureproofing in mind, containing (probably) more expensive but more versatile components.
Whereas SKY seems to be more focused on short-term profits as opposed to a long-term business model. (Explaining why there'd be a 10 game limit, cheaper parts and 'forcing' people to buy a second or even third cartridge.)

It would seem to me that SKY tried to create a golden-egg-laying-goose. The gift that just keeps on giving.
As opposed to Gateway which effectively sells a single card per uses and thats that.

It has been done. People mannaged to run 11 games.
That proves that its bugged on purpose.
Also this quote from review by Foxi4 kid of says how it works.
the flashcart itself has their information saved on its on-board memory which has 10 non-rewritable slots

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it should be out within a couple weeks. Gateway have been pretty fast with releases after the initial announcement lately.

1. I don't see why not, although we don't know exactly how the 9.x update will work yet.
2. Yes.
3. 9.x might not support that at all.
4. I'd buy it now so you have it by the time the update is released. But that's just me.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It has been done. People mannaged to run 11 games.
That proves that its bugged on purpose.
Also this quote from review by Foxi4 kid of says how it works.
People have managed to run 11 games through a GLITCH...
A glitch that by all accounts is liable to not only break the game, but also your SD card by corrupting it and more importantly a glitch that does not allow you to save your games properly.

People have NOT managed to run 11 or more games in a stable and consistent manner without relying on said glitch however...
Note the key difference...
Now perhaps you feel that using such a glitch somehow proves a point - but purposefully ruining your hardware isn't a particularly adequate method to prove a point.

So I maintain my request - show me a SINGLE example of someone who consistently runs 11 or more games on their SKY/R5 in a stable and consistent manner without relying on a glitch. Not only running 11 games, but doing so without resorting to the glitch that breaks the SD card and doing so with having functional saves for all games.
If you can't, then your claim that the limitation is 'fake' is not based on facts, but rather on the flawed assumption that this glitch somehow proves something.

You make take notice that R5 actually put official word out on their page detailing how the glitch works and what its downsides are.
Yes, you can get an 11th (or even more) game to load up in an unstable fashion. However it'll not benefit from the full range of functionalities it should.
I'm not trying to "protect" SKY3DS or R5 here, I'm not a "fan" of their work, I'm just trying to keep the facts straight.
And running on assumptions that this glitch somehow proves something is not a "fact" that proves your point.

Infact, Foxi4's review saying that there are 10 non-rewritable slots is still correct.
There are 10 non-rewritable slots, the glitch just manages to cause a reading error that circumvents the loading mechanic and thereby allows a non-listed game to be loaded in an unstable fashion... Without allowing you to save your game and at the risk of breaking your hardware.
"User discretion advised." as they say.

Yoman228

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Whatever it is technical issue or hardware problems is not important, the important is following.

1) it is very likely that sky3ds make a card to allows user to run more than 10 games if they want.

2) They put the 10 game limitation is not because of hardware limitation, but of greed.

3) If they are other companies that can reverse engineering, clone the card but remove the 10 game limitation, I will not buy the sky3ds even they later unlock it, because they let me know that they are greedy.

Beside, I am buying R5 now instead of sky3ds for this reason.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whatever it is technical issue or hardware problems is not important, the important is following.

1) it is very likely that sky3ds make a card to allows user to run more than 10 games if they want.

2) They put the 10 game limitation is not because of hardware limitation, but of greed.

3) If they are other companies that can reverse engineering, clone the card but remove the 10 game limitation, I will not buy the sky3ds even they later unlock it, because they let me know that they are greedy.

Beside, I am buying R5 now instead of sky3ds for this reason.
Yes, they probably did it because of greed - no argument there.
Either they wanted to force people to buy more copies or they wanted to cut down on costs with cheaper parts.

Now, the key difference between it being a technical limitation of the *current* hardware or not does make all the difference.
Since if its *NOT* a technical limitation (of the current card), then a software-based patch can remove it entirely and allow 11 or more games to be run in a stable manner or allow for wiping the supposedly non-rewritable 10 slots.
If on the other hand it IS a technical limitation of the current card - then they (or competitors/cloners) would need to release a new/different card that does not share this limitation.

See the difference? If there is a need to make a new card because the old one can't be fixed - then it is a technical limitation.
One likely put their by choice and greed, but a technical limitation regardless.
You think denial is your ally, but you merely adopted it. Danjal was born in denial, molded by it.
Seems to me that your lack of ability to show proof that this is infact not a technical limitation by providing a clear example of someone who manages to either wipe their 10 slots or run 11 or more games in a stable manner makes you the one that is in denial.

"Oh no, its not a limitation, see this glitch, they managed to run 11 games so its all a shame~!"
Less speculation and assumption, more evidence and facts.
I maintain my claim - show me a single example to back up your claim that its not a technical limitation.
A single example that does not rely on glitches and unstable loading mechanics.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's just a half-assed hardware implementation of a greed-motivated limitation.

Even if they were limited to an index of 10 games they could have made it rewritable (they could probably just read/write an index file in the micro SD).

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's just a half-assed hardware implementation of a greed-motivated limitation.

Even if they were limited to an index of 10 games they could have made it rewritable.
Correct... They *COULD HAVE*.

I'm not talking hypotheticals or alternate realities here though - I'm saying can the CURRENT card do it or not.
If it can't, then its a technical limitation of the CURRENT CARD.
Not of the technology, of the card itself.

Its two seperate statements:
"Its not a technical limitation because they could've made a better card."
"It IS a technical limitation because they chose to use inferior hardware."
Its possible to create a card that doesn't have the limitation, but this card does have the limitation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over