Gateway 3DS users, need help with the new fastboot thing

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyberevan, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Cyberevan
    OP

Cyberevan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2014
    Manila, Philippines
    Hey guys, i am currently on SysNand 4.4 o3DSXL. I have a gateway cart, currently on 10.5 emunand.
    Im trying to understand this new fastboot thing of gateway. Reading thru the manuals didnt really help.
    So again im on Sysnand 4.4. anyone can show me the way in doing this. Files that I need? Steps to follow? Thanks in advance guys..

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    First of all, you shouldn't even consider using the gateway fastboot method because it locks you down to their stuff.
    You should install an open source fork of a9lh.
    First , you should update your sysnand to 9.2 using this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Freeway-Browser
    And then you should carry on with the guide(no need to make an emunand if you already have it , just update to 11.0 and make backups) and install a9lh via its instructions.
    In the end you can use gateway a9lh payload (.bin) to launch your gateway via a9lh if you desire

Last edited by Davidosky99, Aug 23, 2016
    Shadowfied, Quantumcat and yoshinatsu like this.
  3. Cyberevan
    OP

Cyberevan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2014
    Manila, Philippines
    Thanks for the quick reply... Will look into those...

Last edited by Cyberevan, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Not contesting or anything. But is it allowed to give links to Gateway's payload? Is there nothing illegal in there?
    I'd say most of their illegal stuff is in the Launcher.dat yeah, but I wasn't sure about the arm9loaderhax.bin, that's why I made v2gw need Gateway's payload instead of including it (which would be more convenient). So that would be good news if you would tell me there is nothing illegal in there ;)

Last edited by Hayleia, Aug 23, 2016 - Reason: removed link
  5. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Okay, removed the link from the text, you should remove it from the quote :P

6. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Shucks...
    I would have liked it better if you told me "nope, nothing illegal, you can use it too" :(

Davidosky99 likes this.
  7. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
  8. beeswax

beeswax Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you, I just followed this and Gateway is now booting just by holding [Down] on boot. The only think I'm not sure about now is what to do about updates. MY SysNAND is still on 9.2.0 and when I boot Gateway, it's 10.4.0-29 which must mean I set it up as EmuNAND (it's been a very long time since I set this up and I haven't touched my 3DS in ages). So can I ditch emunand completely, update SysNAND to latest version and Gateway still work or....?

9. zezzo

zezzo The "Black Ace"

Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    Hey just ditch gateway and use LUMA.

10. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    You could ditch emuNAND completely but Gateway doesn't like that. With their latest launcher, they will not autoboot if you don't have an emuNAND (instead you'll have to confirm you want to boot to sysNAND) and once in sysNAND, firmware updates can uninstall a9lh (unlike on Luma which has firm protection).
    So your choice, you can live with an outdated launcher or keep using an emuNAND (or ditch your Gateway, others would tell you...).

edit lol about my last part, got ninja'd with exactly the same phrasing.

11. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    I find it funny that Gateway actually didn't even bother with firm protection on their 4.XX launcher, forcing users to use emuNAND.
    I'm actually living dangerously, using GW 3.71 launcher (because it works and doesn't nag me about entering sysNand) + A9LH sysNand only, I just turn off wifi while using Gateway (I rarely play online anyway).

12. Cyberevan
    OP

Cyberevan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2014
    Manila, Philippines
    Thanks for all your help! I was able to install Luma3DS and updated system fw to the latest version and able to load Gateway Payload thru A9LH. Last questions. Is it safe to play online games installed thru CIA? and if Nintendo release a new system update, is there is a possbility that it will block or even brick devices with A9LH?

13. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    You can not get banned from playing cia games. You can update just fine, a9lh is protected by luma so it can't get removed.

14. rodrigoaz8c34s1

rodrigoaz8c34s1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    Brazil
    Please i need your help...
    Iwant remove fastboot and tried to downgrade, but i get the message: "sorry, downgrading is not supported yet for your console".

My console: O3DSXL sysNAND 4.1.0-8U

Last edited by rodrigoaz8c34s1, Nov 22, 2016
  15. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    if your using fastboot and accidentally update your emunand to 11.3, can you simply back up your saves, format your sd card and boot with a clean sd card and use the gateway menu to format emunand putting you back to 11.2

16. rickwj324

rickwj324 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    So, I recently installed a9lh and Luma on all 3 of the 3DS systems in my home, replacing the Gateway cards that I had. Is there any use for these cards now or are they garbage at this point?

17. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    Gateway cards provide cheat codes and also the simplicity of just drag/drop roms and boot, not copy to console sd and installing.

18. rickwj324

rickwj324 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    I definitely won't be going back to the Gateways. Guess I will just list them for sale here at some point in case anyone has a use for them (I have 2 of them). The a9lh and luma combo is great.

19. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    gateway are said to be releasing a new update which is why they are slow with the emunand update.

personally i prefer using the gateway card, its less hassle and i like making cheat codes.

i havent bothered with the fastboot, i prefer home brew loader which activates if i press a button on boot, if not the console boots as normal.

but a friend of mine had done the fastboot method and set emunand up but then claims they "accidentally" updated to 11.3 while in emunand.

im wondering if they backed up the save data, formated sd card would it let them boot again (question not aimed at you btw)

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, it would (if they format emuNAND again)