Hardware Gateway 3DS traveler: Gateway 3.0/3.1.1 exploit with no Internet

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use the Gateway with a system ranging from over 4.5 and less than 9.2 (included) only if you have a Wifi connection with internet.

Then you connect to the Gateway website with the internet browser of the console and then the exploits goes on and you are in Gateway mode.

But the problem I solved here is: when you don’t have internet wifi available, when you are outside your home, in a train, a car or anywhere with no wifi connection? Then you can’t use your Gateway. So I thought about a solution...

I named this solution the Gateway 3DS Traveler, version 2.0 is current one.

I designed it as a DIY work electronic project. Some asked me if a version to sell could be possible. So I designed a clean PCB, a 3D model design and bought a 3D printed (this was planned since long, but usefull for this project). And then I realized a complete version prototype ready to reproduce to sell to those not willing to buold themselves.

My project and the way to do it all yourself is explained, and the ready to sell version prototype now ready are all on the same website:
http://pascelectric.wordpress.com/

Short presentation of the lithium ion battery powert pack with Gateway 3DS traveler:

Longest presentation of the 3XAAA battery pack and Gateway 3DS traveler:

The Gateway Traveker works for 3Ds with system ranging from 4.0 to 9.2.
It works for Gateway 3.0 and 3.1.1 exploit . It worked with Gateway 3.0 launcher file (tested), then with gateway 3.1.1 launcher file (tested).

It works only if your 3DS can laucnh the Gateway exploit with internet connection. Then you can use my traveler with no internet connection. If you can't manage to launch Gateway mode on your 3Ds the normal way (without my traveler), then don't considere to use the Traveler: it won't work as a magic trick. It allows you not to have wifi internet access to use your Gateway mode everywhere (with the Traveler inserted in the casing of your 3DS).

I computed prices for the selling versions (including electronic items, plastic printed casings):

24€ ($26.10) for Gateway 3DS traveler 2.0 with USB output 600mA (only for emergency and not long recharging of 3DS) + 3XAAA battery pack connector (no battery included) + 3DS recharging cable for USB.
This solution fits right is a 3Ds classic casing with a 3DS classic inside and you can close the casing (obviously it fits too in a 3DS XL casing)

3d_casing_production_14.jpg

16€ ($17.40) for Lithium ion power module (with electronic protection against undercharge, overcharge and overcurrent consumption with LEDs) + micro USB cable to recharge lithium module + digital display of battery voltage + lithium ion battery 2200mAh included + USB output 1Ampere (1000mA) able to recharge a 3DS totally discharged.

You can moreover use it to recharge your smartphone, tablet or something else, so this lithium battery pack has other uses than only 3Ds (it is pluged on the Traveler module and can be unpluged easily for other use): money not wasted only for 3DS!

This solution fits only in a 3Ds XL casing, not a classic 3DS casing.

lithium_picture2.jpg

I ordered the electronic components to build 10 Gateway traveler 2.0; 10 AAA battery pack modules, 10 lithium ion modules. All prototypes are achieved and operational. I just have to wait a missing component set and a missing cable set from my furnishers to come (ordered since 1month and 3 weeeks from china, to have good prices on those devices).

If you are interested ina pre-order (no payment, only booking of a unit) then send email with email on the website previously indicated. If you want to builf it yourself from scratch, I gave all programing and electronic informations so that you can do it. My purpose is not to make money since for now I bought many electronic components (200€), filaments for 3D printer and spent more than 200 hours on this project with no money entry; and the price for selling compensates the price of buying components and a little benefit paid at least 1/4 of legal time salary for the assembly of a unit. It is a hobby activity. I began it for my son and he is happy to have now the firts prototype I presented on those pictures for him.

If this develops because more than 10 persons are interested, one of my friend and neighbourg will do the job of mass assembly all day, he is voluntary for it (and I can loan my material to him to make production). For now I have only one pre-order, and he told me to inform you on the forum of the existence of the product; so I did it.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So with this does we need GW Card or not ?

You need your GW Card, like when connecting with internet. The conditions to use the traveler are the same than when you use it the normal way. The only difference is that you don't have to use an internet access. So you can launch your Gateway when no internet wifi connection exists that you can access.

You must use the same GW card with the same data and conditions, only internet is not needed. So you can use it the same way than if there was no wifi condition of use because wifi is no more a constraint.

Reactions: Margen67

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Cool little project :)

Thank you. It was first built for my son, as a gift. Then I thought that it could be usefull for others too; so it was and is a free DIY project. Then some asked a ready to use construction to buy; and this was a more complex effort; but I did it.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
It looks like in the video preview (on my phone so not watched) you have one of those TP Link travel routers you can flash OpenWRT on then power with a USB battery pack.

Pretty neat idea :) good luck with it!

Kev63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Super bonne idée, on voit bien que tu vis en France ^^ ! En Angleterre par exemple t'as du wifi même dans les bus de certaines villes, en France on n'a même pas de réseau dans le métro de grandes villes genre Lyon ou dans certaines lignes à Paris !

Bonne chance avec ton projet, j'ai une New 3DS personnellement ;).

Very good idea, we see you're a French guy ^^! For example in England you have wi-fi even in some buses in some cities whereas in France you don't have any cellular signal in the sub of big towns like Lyon or some lines in Paris !

Good luck with your project, I personally own a New 3DS ;).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is that an Arduino clone I see :P
You should consider including a barebones Arduino as part of the main PCB, it would save space (and maybe money). Only a few components are needed for a functional arduino: the ATmega chip, a 16mhz crystal oscillator, and two capacitors. It can run at 8mhz without anything more than the chip itself. If you don't use many I/O pins you can get away with one of the many supported ATTiny chips which are even cheaper. In addition you will want a voltage regulator on the board. This will be more soldering work than a separate arduino board but a much more permanent solution and you may be able to make the finished product more compact this way.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because not everybody is comfortable with doing that.

Yes, uncomfortable because dangerous, you risk a 3Ds brick = buy a new 3DS. What is more, when downgrade, you can't anymore use many game cartridge because system version is too low. My son can use all his cartdridges in addition, R4 card too, or Gateway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, uncomfortable because dangerous, you risk a 3Ds brick = buy a new 3DS. What is more, when downgrade, you can't anymore use many game cartridge because system version is too low. My son can use all his cartdridges in addition, R4 card too, or Gateway.
You risk a 3DS brick even when using the standard Nintendo update, this point is moot. As for games that "stop working due to a low system version", that check can be patched relatively easily as long as you have the keys for future system versions. Not that it matters since you can run any firmware on EmuNAND which is safer than fiddling with SysNAND. 4.5 is the best FW to rock on SysNAND if you want to fool around with the system.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fun DIY project. Completely impractical, but fun. :P

It is why some asks a selling version, ready to use of the project because it is hard to do evreything. As I stated, I bought the material for 10 units and will sell 10 units. It is a long time assembling, printing, etc so I won't do it more than 10 times because even Chineese with low hour salary wouldn't be paid the amount remaining when all material cost is subtracted of the price I sell it, for the time it takes to build one complete unit. It is a hobbyst activity.

Afterwards, those interested will build it themselves. But for the moment I have one pre-order only for a all-ready unit, so there remains 9 units for those interested.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thonk
As project is cool but, there's some problems.
Ppl will not pay for anything that is already free for mobiles... (iOS app, Android App or WP App).

Also, with the same price you can buy a wifi sd. So you can serve more things :)
That you did not read the purpose of this project, it is written in the first sentences of the first prototype: it is intended for those willing to launch it with no smartphone because not owing a smartphone (which is the case of every normal children under 13 years in France) or not having smartphone capability (Android or any other OS will not provide hotspot capability if the smartphone is not able to do it).

I personnaly don't use a 3Ds or other console. I think that many parents will be interested to have a device included in the 3DS casing of their children where they just push a button, wait for a LED to blink and click a link on the 3DS so that the Gateway mode launches to play.

It is the whole concept that you don't consider. This is not intended for YOU, an adult with a iPhone paid $300 but for a children with no smartphone.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You risk a 3DS brick even when using the standard Nintendo update, this point is moot. As for games that "stop working due to a low system version", that check can be patched relatively easily as long as you have the keys for future system versions. Not that it matters since you can run any firmware on EmuNAND which is safer than fiddling with SysNAND. 4.5 is the best FW to rock on SysNAND if you want to fool around with the system.

You do what you want with your 3DS. Note that the Gateway team himself indicates that there is an important risk of 3Ds brick while downgrading and advises not to do it without a hardware mod to save the system and restore it if bricks occur. But maybe you know more than they told and know that operation not more risky than a normal update of the console, if you tell it...

We want to caution users using the downgrade feature: it is a dangerous operation as it will write to sysnand and if something goes wrong it may brick your 3DS.
We currently recommend that ONLY USERS WITH A NAND MOD try this, and report back any issues.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You do what you want with your 3DS. Note that the Gateway team himself indicates that there is an important risk of 3Ds brick while downgrading and advises not to do it without a hardware mod to save the system and restore it if bricks occur. But maybe you know more than they told and know that operation not more risky than a normal update of the console, if you tell it...
Any modification to the NAND can cause corruption, a hardware mod is simply a way to cover your ass in the rare event that something goes wrong. Of course they're going to write that, they don't want another BrickWay on their hands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans