Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the firmware spoofing can be easily blocked in future releases, doesn't that seem a bit worrisome for 5.1/6.1 support? Seeing as how they could have kept the spoof exploit under wraps and simply updated the supported firmwares for the same effect, now it'll be blocked needlessly instead (unless we never see 5.1 support).
It's not as easy as just writing a bit of code and making it compatible with 5.1. They'd need an entirely new exploit that no one has ever found yet.

And if firmware spoofing would be blocked in future releases, it wouldn't be for 5.1 or 6.1, it'd be for 6.3, 7.0, etc. So even if they release a patch that supports 5.1 and 6.1, it wouldn't be blocked.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, hopefully there work on a muti-rom loading UI, then it a perfeat flashcard + I hope pokemon works on it. Still worried that if I buy one, a free solution will be available and it will become a paper weight (just like the dongle's for ps3).

Also I wonder if this will make nintendo make the 3ds finally region free with a firmware update.

Also I can download any region roms now :)
They also need custom code loading ;) But I maybe buy one if x/y works.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woot! One Piece without buying a eur 3ds!! Hell yea!! oh and we can use the new mii games, woot!
You can't play the new Mii games. eShop games have yet to be hacked. With Gateway, your 3DS will have the same firmware restrictions it had earlier but with the ability to play PHYSICAL games of any region.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not as easy as just writing a bit of code and making it compatible with 5.1. They'd need an entirely new exploit that no one has ever found yet.

And if firmware spoofing would be blocked in future releases, it wouldn't be for 5.1 or 6.1, it'd be for 6.3, 7.0, etc. So even if they release a patch that supports 5.1 and 6.1, it wouldn't be blocked.
That's assuming the exploit was even patched, which from what people over at 3DSBrew say, it hasn't been. It just seems to be that Gateway has to figure out the right location to write to again, but the exploit itself is still there.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nah, people are still hating, and will continue doing so. No homebrew, one game per uSD card, price, etc.
I still think the Gateway is worthing all my money. I just think some people are ungrateful. I think the price is ok, I mean only $70
and you can play more than 300 games now.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think the Gateway is worthing all my money. I just think some people are ungrateful. I think the price is ok, I mean only $70
and you can play more than 300 games now.
To play the devil's advocate, that list of 342 current ROMs has a ton of duplicates across regions, and there's also a bunch of crappy games in that list.

That being said, I have downloaded every ROM that is out that I'm interested in. 25 US, 3 EU, 2 JA. Definitely worth it for me, even if it isn't 300+ games.

Reactions: RenegadeKid

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm understanding this correctly, we can bypass both system firmware and region locking with this thing (or will those with the most recent firmware be outta luck*)? :blink:

* I only updated to the most recent firmware because I originally had no intent to hack my 3DS, but now that we can bypass region locking....

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm understanding this correctly, we can bypass both system firmware and region locking with this thing (or will those with the most recent firmware be outta luck*)? :blink:

* I only updated to the most recent firmware because I originally had no intent to hack my 3DS, but now that we can bypass region locking....

*nods* We can bypass the requirement games bring to make us update to a higher firmware, (It still only works on 4.1-4.5. They're working to make it work on newer firmwares.) and yes we can play 3DS roms from other regions. :yaynds:

Reactions: the_randomizer

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No. If you are on 4.5, you can play 5.1 games. That's all it means. And yes, apparently it bypasses region locks.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*nods* We can bypass the requirement games bring to make us update to a higher firmware, (It still only works on 4.1-4.5. They're working to make it work on newer firmwares.) and yes we can play 3DS roms from other regions. :yaynds:

Cool beans, but I believe I updated to the latest system firmware as I originally had no intent to hack my 3DS, which means unless the card can be updated to use the latest system firmware (not from a game), I'm SOL and won't be able to use this card :( Just wanted to reiterate the fact that my system menu is the latest, so, nope, won't be able to use this now :( Dammit.

Will the Gateway ever work with newer firmware? I can't downgrade now, so I can't use this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi