XP
Country
United States
Current Compatibility Status:
  • Current Official Firmware: 7.1
  • Current Hackable Firmware: 4.5 and below
  • Current Gateway Version: 2.1 Omega
  • Best Gateway Combination: 4.5 sysNAND + 7.1 emuNAND + Gateway 2.1 Omega
With multiple Gateway firmwares out there, emuNAND, and Nintendo's constant firmware updates, there's been a lot of confusion about what works and what doesn't. I wanted to make a compatibility list, and keep it up to date as new developments come out, so that it's easy for everyone to figure out what works, and how to get it working.

4.5 sysNAND + 7.1 emuNAND + Gateway 2.1 Omega
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs, including NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y and eShop game dumps like Phoenix Wright
  • Retail: emuNAND Classic Mode plays all retail games
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs, works for all retail games
  • eShop: Works in 7.1 emuNAND Gateway Mode
  • Game Patches: Can be downloaded for ROMs and retail games
4.5 sysNAND + 7.1 emuNAND + Gateway 2.0b2
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y and eShop game dumps like Phoenix Wright
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs, works for all retail games
  • eShop: Works in 7.1 emuNAND Gateway Mode
  • Game Patches: Can be downloaded for ROMs and retail games
4.5 sysNAND + 7.0 emuNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs from the same region only, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y and eShop game dumps like Phoenix Wright
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs, works for retail games that don't require a game patch to be downloaded
  • eShop: Does not work since Gateway 2.0b1 doesn't patch 7.0 emuNAND
  • Game Patches: Cannot be downloaded, existing game patches that have already been downloaded will work on ROMs and retail games
4.5 sysNAND + 6.3 emuNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y and eShop game dumps like Phoenix Wright
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs, works for retail games that don't require a game patch to be downloaded
  • eShop: Does not work and requires an update to 7.0
  • Game Patches: Cannot be downloaded, existing game patches that have already been downloaded will work on ROMs and retail games
4.5 sysNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • Retail: Does not play retail games
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs and retail games don't work
  • eShop: Does not work and requires an update to 7.0
I've marked the ones I'm not sure about with a (?). If someone can verify those (and the others), that'd be really helpful. I'll obviously update this post with the most up-to-date and correct answer so everyone can use this as a reference.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Retail game compatibility:
4.5 sysNAND + Gateway 2.0b1 = Does not play retail game cartridge at all.

Gateway (without EmuNAND partition) = Plays ROMs
Gateway (with EmuNAND partition) = Plays ROMs
Gateway Classic (with EmuNAND partition) = Plays cartridges

You need EmuNAND Classic (there are two EmuNAND mode, you could add them to your list).

eShop is not possible if you are not on the latest System version/network version.

Online is working in games even if not on latest System version ?

Edit:
Your info could be placed on this page too once you got all answers.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_flashcarts_game_compatibility
and I started a FAQ too : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

Loaded

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retail game compatibility:
4.5 sysNAND + Gateway 2.0b1 = Does not play retail game cartridge at all.

Gateway (without EmuNAND partition) = Plays ROMs
Gateway (with EmuNAND partition) = Plays ROMs
Gateway Classic (with EmuNAND partition) = Plays cartridges

You need EmuNAND Classic (there are two EmuNAND mode, you could add them to your list).

eShop is not possible if you are not on the latest System version/network version.

Online is working in games even if not on latest System version ?

Edit:
Your info could be placed on this page too once you got all answers.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_flashcarts_game_compatibility
and I started a FAQ too : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

Thanks, updated the post. Didn't know about those two wiki pages -- I'll update them with the information collected here once everything is confirmed.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To Simplify

Classic Mode is for Retail Games and Online Only , Atm Online not working, Regardless of version, All retails play fine in Classic Mode (except KeyY save issues)
Normal GW mode irrespective of EmuNAND or Not, plays all roms apart from NAND Save games (Except FW 7.0 Not patched for spoof or SDK 5.x yet, will only play equivalent of GW 1.0 games)

There you go, shortened to 2 lines, It should be common knowledge by now, classic mode wont play roms regardless of the Version, and that all roms play (Except Pokemon and ACNL) regardless of EmuNAND or Not (except 7.0, that needs the spoof and sdk patches added)

Reactions: tbgtbg

Loaded

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To Simplify

Classic Mode is for Retail Games and Online Only , Atm Online not working, Regardless of version, All retails play fine in Classic Mode (except KeyY save issues)
Normal GW mode irrespective of EmuNAND or Not, plays all roms apart from NAND Save games (Except FW 7.0 Not patched for spoof or SDK 5.x yet, will only play equivalent of GW 1.0 games)

emuNAND 7.0 can play SDK 5.x games if installed from scratch apparently: http://bit.ly/18AXjKm.

There you go, shortened to 2 lines, It should be common knowledge by now, classic mode wont play roms regardless of the Version, and that all roms play (Except Pokemon and ACNL) regardless of EmuNAND or Not (except 7.0, that needs the spoof and sdk patches added)

It's unfortunately not common knowledge -- people are confused and wading through 25+ page threads doesn't seem efficient. Also, there's question to whether 7.0 emuNAND is able to play SDK 5.x games. Your impression is that they don't, but the video I posted above shows it's possible. That's where people get confused even more and that's why it's necessary to maintain a concise, consistent, consolidated list of what works and what doesn't.

I've made the list simpler to go through, hopefully that helps more :).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The first post looks better with this format.
The video doesn't show a lot (it can't show the version as going into settings freeze the system), but other users reported it's working too, if EmuNAND is updated from 4.5.0 to 7.0.0.

xers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The first post looks better with this format.
The video doesn't show a lot (it can't show the version as going into settings freeze the system), but other users reported it's working too, if EmuNAND is updated from 4.5.0 to 7.0.0.
Hi, I'm the person who posted the video. It's true that I can't enter system menu to show what version it is, but looking at version 7's changelog I found these 2 things:

Users can now view and post to Miiverse from Nintendo 3DS family systems
Pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously will now start the Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu

Both can be seen in the video so I guess that further validates that it is indeed emunand 7.0?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For the OP, there's no game that requires the latest 3DS firmware version to just play online. Only DLC may require to have the console up to date, but nothing else.

Tisch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've decided to test the emuNAND 7.0 compatibility out.

We obviously know what happens on sysNAND 4.1-4.5 with 2.0b1 and on emuNAND with 4.5 upgraded to 6.3. What we don't know is the compatibility and features of emuNAND 6.3 to 7.0 and emuNAND 4.1-4.5 to 7.0.

What I have done so far is made a backup of my SD Card which was working perfectly on 6.3. I have then upgraded from 6.3 to 7.0 and can confirm, just as anyone else can, that Gateway 3DS roms with 5.x SDK aren't loading, can't get to settings, and everything as detailed in the first post.

I'm about to update from 4.4.0-10U directly to 7.0 and see if I can confirm or deny (with video evidence) whether games with SDK 5.x+ are working (among other things). I will be attempting to use the ALBW as an example.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tisch :
The video linked above is already a proof (you can see the "photo L+R" which is a 7.0.0 features, playing Zelda in ROMs).

For the OP, there's no game that requires the latest 3DS firmware version to just play online. Only DLC may require to have the console up to date, but nothing else.
Ah, I thought you needed the latest version to play online. Thanks for the information. I'll fix the wiki if needed.

another question, I don't remember the answer:
Do game patches downloaded on EmuNAND work on SysNAND ?
I know they will be deleted if you go to Data Management in SysNAND, but I don't remember if they are working. (Downloaded Games don't launch, so maybe patches/DLC don't either?)

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've decided to test the emuNAND 7.0 compatibility out.

We obviously know what happens on sysNAND 4.1-4.5 with 2.0b1 and on emuNAND with 4.5 upgraded to 6.3. What we don't know is the compatibility and features of emuNAND 6.3 to 7.0 and emuNAND 4.1-4.5 to 7.0.

What I have done so far is made a backup of my SD Card which was working perfectly on 6.3. I have then upgraded from 6.3 to 7.0 and can confirm, just as anyone else can, that Gateway 3DS roms with 5.x SDK aren't loading, can't get to settings, and everything as detailed in the first post.

I'm about to update from 4.4.0-10U directly to 7.0 and see if I can confirm or deny (with video evidence) whether games with SDK 5.x+ are working (among other things). I will be attempting to use the ALBW as an example.

It may be the case that updating from 4.X to 7.0 in a EUR console with Zelda between worlds (E) works but maybe just not for U consoles.

Other European user even said that he got this game working, but the language suddenly was changed to Spanish and he's French, so who knows...

Ah, I thought you needed the latest version to play online. Thanks for the information. I'll fix the wiki if needed.

another question, I don't remember the answer:
Do game patches downloaded on EmuNAND work on SysNAND ?
I know they will be deleted if you go to Data Management in SysNAND, but I don't remember if they are working. (Downloaded Games don't launch, so maybe patches/DLC don't either?)

Well, I can't give an answer to that since the only game I have that requires a patch is MK7 and I downloaded the 1.1 patch years ago.

Tisch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tisch :
The video linked above is already a proof (you can see the "photo L+R" which is a 7.0.0 features, playing Zelda in ROMs).)

Fair enough, I thought there was some skepticism and figured I might help clear up some things. I wanted to do this test for my own curiosity as well and will still record the results for the US console running the US rom.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, we sussed that something happens with the 6.3-7.0 update that doesnt going from a clean EmuNAND to 7.0, as alot going from 6.3 to 7, werent even getting SDK 5.x roms to show on home screen, but going from 4.x to 7, fixed it, it seems, though there where still conflicting reports, although i still had issues first time around doing it, all seems to be fine now, i tested a few games, I thought all patching is done on the fly, but maybe the EmuNAND is patched directly, that why 6.3-7.0 was so broken, it was already patched in places then updated, but still not much point in going to 7.0 until all is working..

Loaded

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, we sussed that something happens with the 6.3-7.0 update that doesnt going from a clean EmuNAND to 7.0, as alot going from 6.3 to 7, werent even getting SDK 5.x roms to show on home screen, but going from 4.x to 7, fixed it, it seems, though there where still conflicting reports, although i still had issues first time around doing it, all seems to be fine now, i tested a few games, I thought all patching is done on the fly, but maybe the EmuNAND is patched directly, that why 6.3-7.0 was so broken, it was already patched in places then updated, but still not much point in going to 7.0 until all is working..

Interesting, do you have a US console?

Tisch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, we sussed that something happens with the 6.3-7.0 update that doesnt going from a clean EmuNAND to 7.0, as alot going from 6.3 to 7, werent even getting SDK 5.x roms to show on home screen, but going from 4.x to 7, fixed it, it seems, although i still had issues first time around doing it, all seems to be fine now, i tested a few games, I thought all patching is done on the fly, but maybe the EmuNAND is patched directly, that why 6.3-7.0 was so broken, it was already patched in places then updated

That might be correct on the EUR console with a EUR rom, but I just did the same thing with my US console and a EUR rom and it's not working. Didn't realize my ALBW wasn't U until now. Going to test Batman Arkham Origins (U) and Mario Party: Island Tour (U) now.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That might be correct on the EUR console with a EUR rom, but I just did the same thing with my US console and a EUR rom and it's not working. Didn't realize my ALBW wasn't U until now. Going to test Batman Arkham Origins (U) and Mario Party: Island Tour (U) now.

Why don't you test Zelda but this time the U region ROM?

Oh so you didn't know about the U ROM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...