All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I found out today about these little things by Next Thing Co. and decided to make a gaming topic about them. They're functionally identical systems, which is why this is a joint topic.

The big selling point of C.H.I.P. is that it's a $9 computer you can build into something great, and the big selling point of Pocket C.H.I.P. is that it is a pre-built, portable version of C.H.I.P. that comes with a game system called "PICO-8" for free. These two systems both run pretty similarly, though. They're running some sort of ARM-built Debian Linux, from what I can find, and it's been stated that they can run most of anything that is already on the Raspberry Pi (via the "sudo apt-get" command).

So, let's get a list of some good games that may be available on the C.H.I.P. systems, to give some people a place to start off from when all those beautiful systems ship out to the people who didn't Kickstart the thing and get their Kickstarter edition systems already! I'll start with the few games I know.

------------------------------------​

Green = Confirmed Working
Teal = Partially Works / Iffy
Blue = Untested / Unconfirmed
Red = Does not Work

NOTE: YOU MUST DO sudo apt-get update BEFORE YOU CAN DO ANY INSTALLING

PICO-8 - preinstalled on PocketC.H.I.P. - A fake emulator of a fictional game system. The games can be played in your browser here, but unless you purchase it or have a PocketC.H.I.P. you won't get access to the additional programs for game editing or music creation.
PrBoom - sudo apt-get install prboom - A clone of Doom. Mouse control doesn't work, but it's decent.
PrBoom Plus - sudo apt-get install prboom-plus - The enhanced version of PrBoom. I couldn't see a difference between the two.
Chocolate Doom - sudo apt-get install chocolate-doom - A clone of Doom.
Beneath a Steel Sky / ScummVM - sudo apt-get install beneath-a-steel-sky - A port of ScummVM that comes with Beneath a Steel Sky.
Geweled - sudo apt-get install geweled - A Bejeweled clone. The game won't fill PocketC.H.I.P.'s screen, leaving it possible to accidentally click out of the game.
Mednafen - sudo apt-get install mednafen - A multi-system emulator. On PocketC.H.I.P., the only working systems are GB, GBC, GBA, and NES.
OpenTTD - sudo apt-get install openttd - A port of Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Battle for Wesnoth - sudo apt-get install wesnoth-1.11 - A fantasy turn-based strategy.
PyDance - steps for installing - A Stepmania clone that uses .step files. Not worth trying unless you can play songs from a flash drive, as the songs add up quickly and the onboard memory of C.H.I.P. and PocketC.H.I.P. is only 4GB.
Minecraft - download here - A modified port of Minecraft Pocket Edition for Raspberry Pi.
Ren'Py - sudo apt-get install renpy - A port of the visual novel creator Ren'Py. Insta-crashes on boot.

Also, if the buttons on PocketC.H.I.P. make it hard to play games, I have a solution for you: this. It's a 3D-printable cover for the keys, and a bonus stylus. You can order it if you don't have a 3D printer available to you, too.

Last edited by Sora de Eclaune,
Reactions: aracom

aracom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Already ordered one a few days ago. These things are great, can't wait to try out pico-8 and some emulators.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting: the C.H.I.P. team got both a VR program and Mednafen working at the same time, producing an actual Virtual Boy. However, if you do this, the battery is fully drained in less than an hour. It was the VR program, according to Next Thing, not the emulator. So while it is possible, it's probably not worth it.

Chad___

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However...they're more powerful than a Pi!

I want to clarify that the CHIP is NOT more powerful than Raspberry Pi. CHIP is running on a single-core, 1GHz Allwinner A8.

The Raspberry Pi 2 B+ has a quad-core, 700MHz Cortex A7, and that isn't even the newest version of the Pi.

That being said, I have my PocketCHIP in hand, and it's absolutely awesome.

Reactions: Luglige

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not overly keep about needing an adapter for HDMI ($ 15.00 from the store) but I will keep an eye on these. $9 and a bunch of cheap cables gets things right down to throwaway price points.

Edit. Now finding out about the Orange Pi ($10, basically a pi or slightly better). Looks like I might have an alternative.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I saw that on the make channel. I fricking want one. It could make a good cluster computer as how cheap they are. The pocketchip is also really nice. Will buy soon.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw that on the make channel. I fricking want one. It could make a good cluster computer as how cheap they are. The pocketchip is also really nice. Will buy soon.
It really is a nice little device. It's kind of odd, though. As a whole, it feels really sturdy and really fragile at the same time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1