Hardware Gaming laptop

Oco_Puff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking about Buying a laptop, mostly for gaming, but once i get into a university I'll probalby use it then. I have a problem though....I do not have I clue what a should get. My price range would be from 3000$ and lower. I want it to be able to run games, like half-life 2 and portal, and i really want to be able to use Garry's Mod.

So yeah, any suggestions? I don't really get the whole,Video card RAM thing, I kinda get the DirectX thing..but yeah..wireless internet is a must also...with a dvd drive

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Gaming Laptop?
Well get a Dual core and a decent Graphichs card (Im not really into the whole laptop thingy)

If you really need a gamer DONT buy a laptop
wink.gif

Oco_Puff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unsure.gif
yeah, I was starting to think that a desktop would be better, but aren't they a whole lot more expensive? (im way new to this whole buying computers thing, the one im using right now was bought 4 years ago...way before i cared) what would you sugest for a desktop then?

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YEEG 3 grand will get u a lot of goodies, u could probably get a maxed out Dell for that much or just get yourself an apple macbook pro with the high end stuff. I got me a real nice dell for $1100 shipped, imagine what 3 grand would do
tongue.gif

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desktops are cheaper than laptops, but the laptop I got runs Gmod, HL2, Portal, and a bunch of other games at good speeds and settings. It can run Crysis on low settings too! This isn't the laptop I got, but it's even better, so if you need a laptop for the portability, but still want to game, this is your best bet.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
im part of a computer support forum, at techbums.net.

trust us when we say that if you're looking to game, buy a desktop.
desktop's are MUCH cheaper than laptops, and no matter what you pay - desktops will always outperform laptops.

but if you're intent on buying a laptop, go for a maxed out dell xps, or a nice acer.
look out for a core2duo processor (faster the better, the more cache the better), and nvidia 8 series graphics card(higher the number the better. eg. 8800) and at least 2gb of ram.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
The desktop with the same setups as a laptop will be half the price or less. Desktop appear more expensive because they can go up to really high specifications. Unless laptop is necessary, buy a desktop for gaming, you will not regret it. With that amount of money you should be getting at least 4gigs of memory with Gefore 8800 Video Card. CPU is important, but you do not need TOP of the line for gamaing, a decent one will do.

Also, you may want to wait for the Geforce 9800, it's coming out very soon.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
agreed.
a Q6600, or if you wait for a Q9450 - they're quad core. for the money you might aswell go for either one, they overclock incredible aswell.

oh and the 9 series wont be released in mobility form for another 4 months apparently lol:(

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
agreed.
a Q6600, or if you wait for a Q9450 - they're quad core. for the money you might aswell go for either one, they overclock incredible aswell.

oh and the 9 series wont be released in mobility form for another 4 months apparently lol:(
wtf.gif
Uh... Which is why I was talking about a desktop.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
agreed.

wtf.gif
Uh... Which is why I was talking about a desktop.
yeah was just mentioning that they werent coming out in for a while lol, no real point.
sorry:)
Yeah, the mobility will be quite expensive...
BTW:
I missunderstood too...
tpi.gif

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Avoid Alienware like the plague. I bought their 7700 laptop, and within a year it was falling apart. They have terrible customer support even though you've payed around $3K for your system. If you must get a laptop go with the Dell XPS, otherwise you can get a desktop for far cheaper and build it yourself for best results.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alienware are the bleeding edge. They very often get the tech before anybody else does, and those 1920x1200 screens are insane.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Alienware are the bleeding edge. They very often get the tech before anybody else does, and those 1920x1200 screens are insane.

Apple has them, Dell Has them. Really it's nothing new. Alienware are just overpriced crap. Sagers however are the best gaming laptops you can get. The most expensive one's too.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dell/Alienware were the first company to have them if I'm correct, as well as the many other techs they get before anybody else. Performance wise, they simply can not be beaten. But they are quite pricey.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself